Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

QUOTE (dundee @ 10-Mar-2009, 10:35 AM)
i am hoping to make the trip this year or next. my company gave me a $3k travel voucher for being here so long. Will $3k do it.

i have seen places agencies were you can rent a car, get a driving itinerary of the places you want to see, they will set up lodging so you can stay at different places every night b&b"s to castles if you like. my preferred way of going would be a driving tour... i want to spend the days sight seeing and evenings in a local pub and get to know some people. i do not want to get off a bus go into a pub and be looked at as another tourist... i would really like to experience ireland the people the culture. i do not know if i will be able to get back again.

would dublin be a place i would like to see (really)? i have been to a city! i love the country and country folk.

$3000 for 2 people should give you a very nice 2 week vacation, IF you plan it wisely. For instance, Continental, right now, is offering a round trip from Newark to Shannon, for $220, next month, that price will be higher. The closer you get to May 1 and after, the higher the price for airfare will be. May 1 begins the tourist season in Ireland. Car rental should run about $800 (avoid Hertz, they are a rip off in Ireland) and as stated above, take the extra insurance coverage. It's very easy to get in a fender bender there. I never did but it is a common thing.

If you enjoy country over city, then you have to stay on the west side of Ireland. Pick out an area that you want to explore. Either rent a house and head in a new direction each day or keep driving and knock on a door of a B&B you see along the way. The house rental is by far cheaper but it also doesn't allow you to venture out as far as you may like.

If you do choose to be on the west side of Ireland, your trip must include a ferry trip to the Aran Islands. If you can spare an extra day, I would suggest you stay overnight at one of the B&B's. The Cliffs of Moher are spectacular but don't hold a candle to the cliffs of the Aran Islands (Just my opinion).

To answer Darlene, I always go in late April. All the flowers and trees are just starting to bloom and hasn't overgrow to the point that it ruins some of the views. The weather is in the upper 50's at night and the daytime temp is in the low 70's. You can expect some rain but they are usually brief showers. Doesn't matter what time of year, you should always bring rain gear to Ireland.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]