Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Motto To Live By -, found on the web but so true!
Shadows 
Posted: 18-Dec-2005, 09:16 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Remember this motto to live by:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
valpal59 
Posted: 18-Dec-2005, 11:39 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

Thank-you Shadows. I love this motto. I believe I will live by this one. biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
celticfire 
Posted: 18-Dec-2005, 01:20 PM
Quote Post

Idle Dreamer
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacBirch

female

Ha!
Thanks for sharing that one with us, Shadows; I love it.

--------------------
My heart's in the highlands
My heart is not here
My heart's in the highlands
A-chasing the deer
--Robert Burns

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

Gluais faicilleach le cupan làn.
Go carefully with a full cup.
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 21-Dec-2005, 08:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

I love this motto, too. Life is a gift and a gift is given to enjoy it. And it is what we make of it. Our bodies are the wrappings of our soul for this present life and meant to grow old and get worn out by the years....so let's grow older with dignity but a lot of fun, too!
Well, it took me almost 40 years of my life to realise what life does mean to me, how it was meant for me....in my case it won't be martini but a bottle of Single Malt wink.gif in my hand and I truely hope I'll end with "woohoo, what a ride!" smile.gif

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
dundee 
Posted: 21-Dec-2005, 04:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

ahh does it have to be a a martini??? first off i hate them... second thats my doctors name... how about a nice old scotch.... or maybe a snifter of some nice warm brandy... *s* and make mine dark chocolate... never had much use for the milk chocolate stuff.... note.gif beer_mug.gif thumbs_up.gif angel_not.gif

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Shadows 
Posted: 21-Dec-2005, 05:14 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

I really don't think the drink or type chocolate really matters LOL!

It is the mind set and final result.
Swanny 
Posted: 23-Dec-2005, 09:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

QUOTE (Shadows @ 18-Dec-2005, 06:16 AM)
Remember this motto to live by:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

A man who epitomized this motto died today, only 4 days after his 100th birthday. Although he'll be missed I don't feel particularly saddened. Mr. Vaughan was an old-fashioned man of action who lived life, his entire life, fully. I only hope I can do half so well during my own time on this plane.

Swanny

Famed explorer Norman Vaughan dies at age 100

December 23, 2005

ANCHORAGE, Alaska --Norman Vaughan, who as a young man explored Antarctica with Admiral Richard Byrd in what was to become a life full of adventure, died Friday just a few days after turning 100 years old.

Vaughan, a Salem, Mass. native, died at about 10:30 a.m. at Providence Alaska Medical Center surrounded by family and friends, said nursing supervisor Martha George.

Vaughan was well enough on Saturday to enjoy a birthday celebration at the hospital attended by more than 100 friends and hospital workers. His actual birthday was Monday and he celebrated again, but grew increasingly tired as the week progressed, said friend Susan Ruddy.

Ruddy was at Vaughan's bedside when he died. He went peacefully, she said.

"Suddenly we realized he wasn't breathing," Ruddy said. "It was just a completely easy departure and it seemed so wonderful to us that it happened on a lovely snowy day. He loved winter. He loved snow. It was almost as if he waited for a snowy day to make his last journey."

Vaughan's life was filled with journeys. His motto was "Dream big and dare to fail." He joined Byrd's expedition to the South Pole in 1928 and 1930 as a dog handler and driver.

Days before his 89th birthday he and his wife, Carolyn Muegge-Vaughan, returned to Antarctica and climbed to the summit of 10,320-foot Mount Vaughan, the mountain Byrd named in his honor.

"It was the climax of our dream," he told The Associated Press in a 2005 interview at his Anchorage home. "We had to risk failure to get there. We dared to fail."

Vaughan continued to seek adventure his entire life. His exploits included finishing the 1,100 mile-Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race six times after age 70. At age 96, he carried the Olympic torch in Juneau, passing the flame from a wheelchair, 70 years after he competed in the Olympics as a sled dog racer.

He wanted to climb Mount Vaughan again to celebrate his 100th birthday but the expedition fell short of money. He planned to sip champagne at the summit -- the first taste of alcohol for the lifetime teetotaler.

"The only liquor I've ever had was the taste of wine at communion," he said. "I told my mother I wouldn't drink until I was 100 and she said, 'That's all right."

Vaughan had a taste of champagne Saturday during his birthday celebration.

"The glass was always 99 percent full for him. He approached everything with gusto and excitement and anticipation and delight," Ruddy said. "There were just so many ways he inspired others to take chances."

Vaughan was born Dec. 19, 1905, in Salem, Mass. He was the son of a wealthy leather tanner and shoe manufacturer. In his youth, he became fascinated by tales of early-century polar explorers and taught himself to mush dogs, beginning with the family pet.

In 1925, he entered Harvard College but soon left to be a dog musher in Newfoundland for a medical missionary. He left Harvard for good to join Byrd on his expedition, which included creation of the first settlement in Antarctica and the first air flight over the South Pole. Vaughan was part of a crew that drove dog teams 1,500 miles across the frozen continent to collect geological samples and other scientific data.

"We were the last to use dogs," he recalled in his book, "With Byrd at the Bottom of the World," published in 1990. "From then on, explorers would use planes and over-the-snow vehicles."

Vaughan kept driving dogs after his return to New England, qualifying for an exhibition of the sport at the 1932 Winter Olympics.

At the outset of World War II, he was commissioned an officer in the Army Air Corps and assigned to a search-and-rescue unit based in Maine. His service included using a dog team to salvage a secret bombsight from the so-called "Lost Squadron" of U.S. warplanes forced to land in Greenland in 1942. More than five decades later, Vaughan would return to Greenland as part of an expedition that found several of the planes buried hundreds of feet beneath the ice.

After serving in the Korean War, Vaughan started making frequent trips to Alaska and moved permanently to the state at age 67. He arrived in Anchorage nearly broke. His first job was shoveling snow from sidewalks to pay for room and board, and he followed that with a stint as a dishwasher.

Despite his accomplished past, he felt no embarrassment about his humble beginnings in Alaska.

"If you don't look for challenges, you become a follower," Vaughan said. "Challenges are self-satisfying for a person, testing himself on whether he can do it or not, analyzing for himself his character. Many times it answers a great question for the person."

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 24-Dec-2005, 08:12 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

He certainly had the correct mind set and lived his life to it's fullest!

He will be missed.
Boadiccea 
Posted: 24-Jan-2006, 05:23 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Asheville, NC

female

Shadows thats great. I have one, it's really old. Harm none do what ye will.

--------------------
~Slainte Mhath~
PMEmail Poster                
John Clements 
Posted: 07-Dec-2007, 04:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Keep moving!

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]