WizardofOwls 
Posted: 31-Dec-2004, 11:16 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Here is some info on this week's famous Breton, Georges Cadoudal. It was found at:

http://www.brittany-bretagne.com/pg/cadoudal.htm

Hope you enjoy it as I did!

Georges Cadoudal, Son of a peasant

This son of a peasant was born in the vicinity of Auray in 1771 and becomes a
Notary's clerk. He was 22 years old when he joined the Royalists camp.
In 1793, the Revolt of the Chouans ("Chouannerie") breaks out. He throws himself into it body and soul. The Vendéens are defeated in Savenay at the end of 1793. He then takes under control the Revolt in Morbihan. Captured and imprisoned at Brest, he escapes and goes back to fight. He participates in the Events at Quiberon, and manages to get away unscathed and gives in to Hoche in 1796. In 1798 he goes back on his campaign. Louix XVIII gives his the command of Brittany. The Blues chase them accross the hedged farmland. He cannot be found. Some hideaways still carry the name of Cadoudal, in the peninsula of Local for example.

Bonaparte offers him his pardon and the grade of general, but this did not come about. He tried for the first time to assassinate the first consul in 1800. He tried again to kidnap him in 1804 but was arrested and condamned to death and executed. His body was given to students in Medicine, and the surgeon Larrey kept his skeleton on iron wires. The remains of Georges Cadoudal rest now in the mausoleum which was built on the hill of Kerléano in Auray, several kilometres from the Martyr's field, where 953 emigrants and chouans were shot after the disaster at Quiberon.

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]