Posted: 28-Nov-2006, 10:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Sunny Sunnyvale, CA

male

Hi all,

OK - Vettegal started a thread back in February about classic cars, so I thought I'd start one about what I think is the best M/C on earth, the venerable air-cooled "airhead". thumbs_up.gif

I own a 1994 R100GS that I found in upper New York state on the Internet in December 2004 and bought sight-unseen, then paid to have it shipped to California. It had a little over 13,000 miles on it when I got it - it has nearly 25,000 on it now, and that's just from commuting and occasional trips up and down the coast.

I'm interested to know if anyone else shares my liking for this type of cycle, so please let me hear from you!

Attached Image. (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)

--------------------
Best cheers! Robbie
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 29-Nov-2006, 06:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

Hmmm, a little small for me but I bet rather fun to ride. To bad you didn't fly to N.Y. and get a chance to ride some of the N.Y. roads. Rt. 28 from Kingston to Cooperstown is excellent, as well as the whole Finger Lakes area. Rt. 12 along the St. Lawrence and The Thousand Islands area would be a perfect ride.

Bring it back east and try some of those roads.
PMEmail Poster               
Muircheartach 
  Posted: 29-Nov-2006, 06:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

male

Hi Mike!

Nice Harley! Yes, you are right, the routes up there are wonderful - when my family lived on Long Island, I used to ride around the area - up to Niagra Falls and back. The only thing is, not in the winter - brrrrr!!!

The original owner had six Beemers and he decided to part with this one - I had it moved three days before they had a blizzard biggrin.gif

I'm guessing your bike is around 1340cc - this one is 1000cc, but it's enough for me to ride two-up and still have some fun. I sold my Suzuki GSX1100 last summer and my wife was very glad - it could do a verified 160mph and I had it up to 140 once, but never again!

I look forward to riding in "your neck of the woods" one day!
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 29-Nov-2006, 09:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (Muircheartach @ 29-Nov-2006, 08:52 PM)
Hi Mike!

Nice Harley! Yes, you are right, the routes up there are wonderful - when my family lived on Long Island, I used to ride around the area - up to Niagra Falls and back. The only thing is, not in the winter - brrrrr!!!

The original owner had six Beemers and he decided to part with this one - I had it moved three days before they had a blizzard biggrin.gif

I'm guessing your bike is around 1340cc - this one is 1000cc, but it's enough for me to ride two-up and still have some fun. I sold my Suzuki GSX1100 last summer and my wife was very glad - it could do a verified 160mph and I had it up to 140 once, but never again!

I look forward to riding in "your neck of the woods" one day!

Yep, a 1992 FXR-C in fire engine red from O'Toole's H-D, in Wurtzboro, N.Y.

Now, that's some nice riding country. Rt.209, from Port Jervis, N.Y. through Wurtzboro and Ellenville, till it hooks up with 44-55 and then follow that up to Rt. 28, by Woodstock, N.Y. Take a side trip to Woodstock. Make sure you take the back road from Mt. Tremper that circles in from the north of Woodstock. As you come in to Woodstock, you will bust out laughing. The town is still stuck in the 60's.

Have fun and get out there and ride (unfortunately, winter is moving in to Jersey and the Gerbing heated suit, protects you just so much).
PMEmail Poster               
Muircheartach 
Posted: 07-Dec-2006, 10:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

male

QUOTE (A Shrule Egan @ 29-Nov-2006, 08:20 PM)
Have fun and get out there and ride (unfortunately, winter is moving in to Jersey and the Gerbing heated suit, protects you just so much).

Hello again, Mike!

Just had to comment - yes, the heated vest is coming in handy, even out here. It was 26F this morning riding to work at 5:30. wink.gif

The only thing we don't have (yet...) is ice on the roadway. NorCal gets rain in the winter, so it's something I always have to watch when going to work - later on, around 11:00 or so, the temp gets up to at least a respectable 50+F. The last two days were great riding home - I almost wish I could have just kept riding - a beautiful big moon on the horizon (I go home about 6:00). Not sure if you like night riding, but it was always my favorite, up in the Santa Cruz mountains - no cars, no people for miles - just nature!! thumbs_up.gif

Have a great week!
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 07-Dec-2006, 06:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

biggrin.gif Riding with nature is fine, as long as the 165 lb. deer and the 300 lb. black bears leave me alone. We have had a few motorcycle accidents in N.J. because of bears, some with deaths of the rider but it's usually the bear that get's t-boned and dies from internal injuries. The deer are just plane stupid, so you are always on alert for them.

The latest problem with nature, has become the wild turkeys. They tend to fly pretty much at ground level and I've already had a few fly in front of me. That's not a nice site to see a 20 lb. turkey flying in front of you, at eye level. The windshield will help a bit to break the impact but that would still be a scary scene.

We try to get the bikes out at least once a month. Even though it was a beautiful sunny day, it was still 11 degrees, one day but we still rode. Gerbing makes a great product but it's still not comfortable riding in 11 degrees. That wind still sneaks through every little opening. Actually, my carburetor froze up, before I did. laugh.gif

rubber side down!
PMEmail Poster               
Montie, druid at heart 
Posted: 09-Oct-2008, 02:08 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Sugar Grove, VA

male

I used to have a R100 "93" that I sold after I got married and had kids. I will have another one when my last one finishes school!
PMEmail Poster               
Muircheartach 
Posted: 09-Oct-2008, 09:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

male

Hi Montie!

That's the spirit! I'm guessing that the "last one" will be finishing within the next 10 years? No matter, these things last like nobody's business! I'm so thankful I was able to find a good one on the Internet - it's running strong and I'm still smiling as much as I did the first day I rode it! biggrin.gif

Have a great week!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada. They provide music license coverage through SOCAN.
Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance Tavern, Celt-Rock-Radio, A Celtic Christmas, SaltyDog Radio, Best of Celtic Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics , Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With MicroSoft Edge, Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]