Posted: 20-Apr-2004, 12:10 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

I'll second that!!! We who have been purchased by His blood, death, and resurrection are baptised into one body---His body. We have become His hands, feet, and voice here on the earth. If we love Christ then we will become one of His followers (disciples), and if we are one of His followers then we are a Christian---Plain and simple.

I love St. Patrick's morning prayer it is one of my favorites right after St. Francis of Asissi's (and I'm not Catholic).

Peace,
Be God's and be blessed,
Roisin angel_not.gif

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
dfilpus 
Posted: 08-Jul-2004, 07:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

I was baptized and raised Lutheran. In the Upper Midwest of America, the Lutheran churches were split up into denominations derived from the nationality of the emigrants who founded the church. I was baptized in a Finnish Lutheran church, attended a Norwegian Lutheran church for confirmation and was a Boy Scout in a German Lutheran church. Eventually, most of the churches united into one Lutheran denomination, but there were petty political fights all along.

I attended Sunday School, worked as a altar boy, sang in the children's choir and earned the Lutheran religious award in Boy Scouts by writing a hstory of the Lutheran churches in the area and their mergers splits and fights. While I was in college, my parents, who had been on the church council and taught Sunday School, joned with a group of dissidents who wanted to get rid of the pastor of the church. They eventually went into "exile", attending another church until the bishop stepped in and the pastor took a transfer to a different church.

All this politicking left a bitter taste in my mouth and I stopped attending church for years. I was still religious, but did not attend or join another church for several decades. I married a staunch Roman Catholic girl and agreed to raise our children in the Roman Catholic tradition. I have not joined the Roman Catholic Church, because of a minor theological point. I attend mass regularly, not joining in all of the Catholic sacraments. I chaperone on youth trips. I go to my parent's Lutheran church a couple of times a year.

We have reached a stable balance. My wife and I are active in the local Catholic church. My parents and brothers are active in their Lutharan Churches. One of my brothers married a lapsed Catholic, who joined the Lutheran church, so we balance.

--------------------
Näkemiin

Dave (SCA: Geoffrey Genour of Carney)
Protector of Bits and Bytes, Third cousin once removed to Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light

user posted image

Help out with the site! Win prizes!
Suggest videos at VideoCelt.com

Check out the outstanding video - Merchant Marine by Celtae
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aragorn 
Posted: 08-Jul-2004, 10:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Middle Earth

male

Well I am non denominational, I was raised pentacostal and we used to go to many different churches. I searched the whole Bible trying to find where Jesus talked about denominations and never found any, of course I knew I would not. I believe we are all part of one family and divisions are made when people take sides or pick certain groups to associate themselves with. I believe people subconsciously judge others by their affiliations and this can adversely affect their views. I beleive what I beleive and that is what counts.

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.
--Robert Louis Stevenson
PMEmail Poster               
aklassie 
Posted: 12-Jul-2004, 02:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Texas

female

I belong to the body of Christ. I think denominations only serve to separate us. I don't like it when, say a baptist puts down a pentacostal or any other person, because they don't believe the same way as the they do. (Im not against baptist, it's just an example) To me that's judging. I love all christians and to me they are all my brothers and sisters. The most important thing is that we all believe in Chirst. I've seen it done, and I've done it in the past it's so wrong.

--------------------
"They That Wait Upon The LORD,
Shall Renew Their Strength,
They Shall Mount Up With Wings
As Eagels,
They Shall Run,
And Not Be Werry;
They Shall Walk,
And Not Faint." ISAIAH 40:31
CelticRoz 
Posted: 12-Jul-2004, 03:19 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I totally agree with you, aklassie! we are all one in Christ!
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 16-Jul-2004, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

In my heart of hearts, I am a Christian, forever in awe of a Creator God who not only made this beautiful world but found a place in it for me to live & love & be of service to others as well as Him.
My allegiance is to Jesus Christ. But as a little Southern gal I do attend a Baptist church in my town. The pastor preaches from the Bible and is good at showing how the scriptures are relevent to our lives, but the Baptist denomination in general tends to be a bit narrow-minded in some areas... overall the good outweighs the negative, and in principle it seems to be in line with the scriptures. About the worst I can say regarding my own church is that a LOT of those people think you're not a Good Christian unless you're there every single time the door is opened! My God and I got that issue cleared up looong ago, and He has plenty of work for me to do in many places... guilt trips from church people rolls off my back like water off a duck. Quack quack!

Organized religion gets a bad rap these days, but it has its purpose: to be a place where believers can get together & encourage & support each other.

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 16-Jul-2004, 07:35 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

QUOTE (Siobhan Blues @ 16-Jul-2004, 11:27 AM)

Organized religion gets a bad rap these days, but it has its purpose: to be a place where believers can get together & encourage & support each other.

Hey S. Blues...Here, here! I couldn't have said that any better.

angel_not.gif
PMEmail Poster               
dfilpus 
Posted: 17-Jul-2004, 09:44 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

QUOTE (aklassie @ 12-Jul-2004, 03:51 PM)
I belong to the body of Christ. I think denominations only serve to separate us. I don't like it when, say a baptist puts down a pentacostal or any other person, because they don't believe the same way as the they do. (Im not against baptist, it's just an example) To me that's judging. I love all christians and to me they are all my brothers and sisters. The most important thing is that we all believe in Chirst. I've seen it done, and I've done it in the past it's so wrong.

Agreed. I have seen Christians breaking up into little sects and fighting over the littlest things.

However, the most common reason for breaking away is that the main group is seen as having drifted from the "True Faith". As long as churches teach that there is only one "True Faith", there will be factionalization.
krmsmax 
Posted: 30-Jul-2004, 08:33 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Memphis, Tennessee

female

I was raised Lutheran and did some church hopping when I was a teenager. I found myself gravitating back to the Lutheran denomination. I don't think that it matters what church you attend. The whole purpose of the churches is to bring believers together as a family to support and help each other and to support missionary outreach so that all may know the word.

--------------------
Karen Maxwell
curebox.gotdns.com
PMEmail Poster               
ErikDeckers 
Posted: 20-Aug-2004, 12:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacOak

Realm: Orlando, FL

male

QUOTE (Siobhan Blues @ 16-Jul-2004, 12:27 PM)
About the worst I can say regarding my own church is that a LOT of those people think you're not a Good Christian unless you're there every single time the door is opened!

My wife's old Nazarene church was the same way. And someone basically said to me that I should be in church on Sunday night and Wednesday night as well.

So I said , "Does that mean if you sit in my garage you're a car?" Then I followed it up with "If we're supposed to be in favor of family values, doesn't it make sense that I do things to spend time WITH my family, not away from them?"

This seemed to upset the other person. Huh. Guess some people are funny that way. wink.gif

Erik "Don't mess with me, I'm a Philosophy major" Deckers

--------------------
[color=blue][b]Erik Deckers
Visit my weekly humor blog
Laughing Stalk[COLOR=blue]
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 20-Aug-2004, 12:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

I was raise avery strong Roman Catholic. I know what believe. I was homeschooled for six years and then I went to private Christain School, which was mostly Catholic. I am now about to graduate from a very Catholic College. I am still Catholic....sort of. I know what I beleive. I will fight to the death for my faith. I have stopped going to Church. Where I live right now I hate the Churches. They priests are terrible and so are the people. I have been condemned to Hell (to my face) for doing things they think are evil - I like Harry Potter = evil, I want to work in Hollywood to make good movies not preachy movies = evil, I show public displays of affection (a kiss, or hand holding) to my boyfriend = evil, I watch R rated movies= evil.... Ya'll get the point. I think once graduate and move out of here and find a church that I like I will pobably become a full practicing Catholic agan. I love my faith, but there can be so many people who make it easy to understand why there are so many non-Cathlics. I'll tell you!

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 20-Aug-2004, 12:55 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

That surprises me Celiastar! I was a Catholic for 25 years and I always found my church to be much more liberal than that. I am not doubting you, but just thought the Catholic church had changed. I guess I am wrong. I am a protestant now and there are those who are very legalistic and some of us........like me..........who are much more tolerant of others and their beliefs. However, there are things about the Catholic church that I really do love and miss. I miss the worshipful masses. I am so sorry to hear that you are experiencing a very bad time with your parrish right now.

I have a very strong Christian friend who is an aspiring actress in Hollywood. It is possible. Do what your heart tells you. I am sure that God is with you whatever path you take. smile.gif
cori 
Posted: 20-Aug-2004, 05:43 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the North Winds
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: New Jersey

female

Just Christian. In Antioch, the followers of Christ were given the name in scorn, but received it with joy because it means simply "little Christ". Though I do not presume a great likeness to Christ, that is my goal and hence I consider it my denomination.

Leslie

--------------------

Leslie

~That would be an awfully big adventure.

~Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
PMEmail Poster                
Avonlea22 
Posted: 20-Aug-2004, 05:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

Raised as a Methodist Christian (not by choice) , but currently practicing Agnostic.

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 22-Aug-2004, 09:30 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

My ancestors were Presbyterian. I was raised Pentecostal, but now I attend a Church of Christ. I love their approach to faith. It is Christ centered, realistic, and not overly legalistic and preachy.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]