ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif
Good one.

Val

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Patch 
Posted: 23-Apr-2009, 11:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

The History of Aprons

I don't think our kids know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, because she only had a few, it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and they used less material, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

Send this to those who would know, and love, the story about Grandma's aprons. Or it can be a good history lesson for those that have no idea how the apron played a part in our lives.
I believe the apron has gone into the history books forever along with a lot of past time memories.

REMEMBER :
Grandma used to set her fresh hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool.
We now set them on the window sill to thaw.
Our children will never really know how many ancient habits are lost forever..

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron.
I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron. But Love!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 29-Jul-2009, 09:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

I have received my AARP card today. Does this mean I am officially an "Old Fart"? LOL wink.gif

Val
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Camac
Posted: 29-Jul-2009, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

valal59.

I don't know about AARP (CARP in Canada) but don't you guys get an official 'OLD FARTS CARD " from the Gov. like we do. Tells everybody that you are collecting old age benefits and the gov. request that the beared be extended all privileges. Nice looking card to it has a picture of Parliament Hill all lit up and your name and SIN (Social Insurance Number) embossed in gold. The card and $1.18 will get you a cup of coffee although I can get into the movies at 1/2 price I go maybe once a year and my girls usually take me and pay for it anyway.

Camac.

flora 
Posted: 29-Jul-2009, 04:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

We should come up with acronyms for AARP and CARP (that's a fish).
AARP - Already Arrived Reapers Prerogative
I am not making fun of anybody. I'm right there also but I plan to fight it all the way.

Anyone have one?

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 29-Jul-2009, 05:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 29-Jul-2009, 12:49 PM)
valal59.

I don't know about AARP (CARP in Canada) but don't you guys get an official 'OLD FARTS CARD " from the Gov. like we do. Tells everybody that you are collecting old age benefits and the gov. request that the beared be extended all privileges. Nice looking card to it has a picture of Parliament Hill all lit up and your name and SIN (Social Insurance Number) embossed in gold. The card and $1.18 will get you a cup of coffee although I can get into the movies at 1/2 price I go maybe once a year and my girls usually take me and pay for it anyway.

Camac.

Flora

You qualify in my estimation but only if you want to. I hope you get more from your card than I ever did with mine. The best I have gotten was a free drink. By being nice to the waitress and being a regular customer, I usually get that anyway.

I got a pay for two nights get one free deal at a state lodge and thought "finally" something of value. A month or so later, I got an advertisement giving me the same deal without the aarp card.

Oh well

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 29-Jul-2009, 05:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (flora @ 29-Jul-2009, 06:48 PM)
We should come up with acronyms for AARP and CARP (that's a fish).
AARP - Already Arrived Reapers Prerogative
I am not making fun of anybody. I'm right there also but I plan to fight it all the way.

Anyone have one?

Flora

I agree about the CARP, a big ugly fish that feeds on the bottom. I have heard nothing about aarp and usually if a good one comes along it spreads fast. I wish I was 55 again sometimes.

Slàinte,   

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 13-Aug-2009, 07:15 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

Patch;
I have to tell you that I have to stop messing about and making fun of the Fates. They got me good yesterday.

At 3:00pm I was in the electrical room doing some prelimminary work getting ready for a big job that starts Monday. Anyway I was up on the stepstool removing a panel from the ceiling as I stepped of the bottom step I knew something was not right. As my right foot touched the floor I felt this tightening in my right calf. Next thing I know my calf is phoning my brain and the following conversation occurred. " Hello, Brain here. How may I help? Brain this is right calf. PAIN! Really, really bad PAIN!. Yes calf I am recieving and processing that now. Your right it is really bad pain". At this point the vocal cords decide to join the conversation with an introductory "AAAAARGH"! This is immediately followed by a round of expletives that is slowly turning the air around my head blue. It is at this time that my Brain also notes that my eyeball are trying to meet somewhere in the centre of my face. Standing there leaning against some shelving I'm trying to figure our whats going on but so far Brain is ignoring me as it is listening to my Boss asking what happened and if I'm OK. I hear the answer "Yeah Yeah I'm OK. What should have been said was "No you idiot I'm not OK I'm in freaking Pain" but he's my Boss so diplomacy won out. After a few moments I managed to gain control and put my right foot on the floor and stand up staight. THat was the easy part. When I tried to walk my calf started scream "Stop you Moron. What the hell are you trying to do kill me?"OK I stopped and stood there think this is ridiculous there has to be a way to move. I quickly discovered that by turning my right leg outward I could slowly move across the floor dragging the offending appendage behind. To speed things up I ended up at the Emergency Room where, as if I didn't know, they discoverd I had torn my right calf muscle. I was given some pain killers, muscle relaxants and crutches and sent on my way with the parting words of take it easy and rest that leg. Yeah like I'm going to run a Marathon or something. When I got home I took a relaxant and a couple of pain killers. !/2 hour later I could of cared less if the leg fell off. It was during this euphoric period that the Fates and I had a conversation. I conceded the fact that they won this one but it wasn't over. In fact it isn't over until I say so. At that point a very sharp flash of pain shot up my leg. Guess they were just reminding me who I was messing with. Battle lost but the War will go on.

Camac

Howie 
Posted: 24-Aug-2009, 09:28 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Bellingham, Washington

male

Those Fates also seem to have let me know as well and I haven't even been making fun of them. I tripped and fell on my left arm, hand and back while trying to walk in to work. Now my back is a mess and I've been going to the chiropractor and trying to get fixed up. It has interfered a little with playing the fiddle but fortunately not too bad. Now this is the third summer in a row I've had some physical event to deal with. Car accident two summers ago, knee surgery last year and now this. At least they were in the summer so I could still ski in the winter.
Speaking of which, now that I'm 60 (today!) I can get a season pass at the ski area for a little over half price. I've been playing music up there for years for a free pass but if I don't do that this year I'll be able to afford a pass anyway. Can't wait for winter!!!!!
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 24-Aug-2009, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

Howiel

Welcome to the club from an Canadian Old Fart. The fates have had it in for me for years. Score Fates 6 Me can't count that high without taking my socks off. I do not surrender ever.

Camac.

Patch 
Posted: 25-Aug-2009, 06:37 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Camac:

Sorry I missed your post. Things have been hectic of late.

I tore a bicep muscle a long time ago. I still remember the pain. They recommended surgery and since it would take three or more months to heal, I opted to leave it alone. A leg could be different though. I did mine scooping cat turds out of a litter box. Imagine that. The cat belonged to my daughter. The things we will endure for our kids!!

I hope this resolves it's self for you quickly. I can not remember how long my arm took but it does not seem that it was all that long. My bicep looks funny so I will never be able to develop a modeling career. biggrin.gif

My experience has been these things seem to come in groups so beware!

Howie: These are to be the "golden years" though I have yet to find the gold. I also have yet to find the "cloud with the silver lining."

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 25-Aug-2009, 07:21 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

P{atch;

On the 20th I had an Ultra-sound done on my right leg from crotch to ankle checking blood circulation and looking for clots if any. Circulation is fine no clots. They also checked the muscle and everything was going smoothly until the tech got down near my ankle.Next thing she is saying "Hold on I have to get the Radiologist" OK. He comes in stands there for a few mins. while the tech scans an area around my ankle mumbles something then leaves. The scan continues for about 5 mins. and in walks the Radiologist again only this time he takes over the scanning for a few mins. then leaves again. There is a big sign on the wall that says :Technicians are not allowed to discuss their findings OK I keep my yap closed. The tech says I have to take a few more pictures then we're done. She finished taking her pics and says "Just wait a min. I have to ask the Doctor if you can go home" By now I'm thinking "What the hell did they find this is really weird"
The tech comes back says it OK to go home but call my Family Doctor to discuss the results of your scan. OK. On Fri. I call Peter my Doctor. He's not in. I called yesterday and he is still not in but I have made an appointment to see him to-day. They found something in my leg but it can't be to serious or they wouldn't let me go home. Anyway I'll find out at 3:30.Betcha they found an old piece of shrapnel from Nam. 20 years ago they found some shrapnel in my left hand and wanted to cut it out. Told them what they could do and the shrapnel is still in my hand and not bothering me.

Camac.

Patch 
Posted: 25-Aug-2009, 08:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Some if my old injuries now haunt me also but it is because arthritis has now joined my "circle if friends."

Your reasoning is good. If it is not a problem, leave it alone.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 25-Aug-2009, 09:28 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

Patch;

My Dad went to his grave with 6 or 7 pieces of shrapnel from 1944 in his head. Never bothered him. Some Doctors are to damn quick to pull out the scalpel.

Camac

flora 
Posted: 26-Aug-2009, 04:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

CASH FOR CLUNKERS......

IF MY BODY WERE A CAR...

If my body were a car, this is the time I would be thinking about trading it in for a newer model. I've got bumps and dents and scratches in my finish, and my paint job is getting a little dull. But that's not the worst of it. My headlights are out of focus, and it's especially hard to see things up close.

My traction is not as graceful as it once was. I slip and slide and skid and bump into things even in the best of weather.

My whitewalls are stained with varicose veins.. It takes me hours to reach my maximum speed. My fuel rate burns inefficiently.

But here's the worst of it --

Almost every time I sneeze, cough or laugh, either my radiator leaks or my exhaust backfires.

CASH FOR CLUNKERS..........I QUALIFY - How about You?

flex.gif doctor.gif wheelchair.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]