> Are We Better Off Now?
Camac
Posted: 18-May-2008, 10:00 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

QUOTE (norwood1026 @ 18-May-2008, 06:20 AM)
QUOTE (Camac @ 17-May-2008, 11:11 PM)
I agree. To me family is very important but it seems nowadays I stand alone. I have two great daughters, one lives right across the street from me and the other 10 mins. away and I hardly see them there lives are so busy. Sometimes it hurts.

Camac. sad.gif  sad.gif

I have to wonder at times if it's a choice not to make time for your family. It seems all this technology has taken over what used to be family time. The kids run off to thier rooms & get on-line the parents seem to do the same. It's like an excuse to get away from reality & whats most important to you. Like I said before we do not have kids at this time but we have talked about we & we do not want to make the same mistakes as our parents did.

norwood1026;

All parents say the same thing and it is hard sometimes not to fall into the same pattern. Kids don't come with written instructions. We can only do our best and hope we suceed. I think it is a sign of the times that families seem to drift apart because of everyones busy life style and it seems that if they want to get ahead then the job always comes first. Guess I wasn't ambitious as my family always came ahead of any damn job.

Camac.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 18-May-2008, 05:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

QUOTE (Camac @ 18-May-2008, 12:00 PM)
QUOTE (norwood1026 @ 18-May-2008, 06:20 AM)
QUOTE (Camac @ 17-May-2008, 11:11 PM)
I agree. To me family is very important but it seems nowadays I stand alone. I have two great daughters, one lives right across the street from me and the other 10 mins. away and I hardly see them there lives are so busy. Sometimes it hurts.

Camac. sad.gif  sad.gif

I have to wonder at times if it's a choice not to make time for your family. It seems all this technology has taken over what used to be family time. The kids run off to thier rooms & get on-line the parents seem to do the same. It's like an excuse to get away from reality & whats most important to you. Like I said before we do not have kids at this time but we have talked about we & we do not want to make the same mistakes as our parents did.

norwood1026;

All parents say the same thing and it is hard sometimes not to fall into the same pattern. Kids don't come with written instructions. We can only do our best and hope we suceed. I think it is a sign of the times that families seem to drift apart because of everyones busy life style and it seems that if they want to get ahead then the job always comes first. Guess I wasn't ambitious as my family always came ahead of any damn job.

Camac.

If I may gentlemen,
Another fact about family is that there no more "family" pretty much these days.
How can people have the sense of a family when a lot of couples like you norwood1026 and myself don't have kids?

And as for those who have some and are still married they have what 2 or 3 kids at the most because young couples these days don't want more and a lot of couples who have kids are "reconstructed" families. Like 2 of my sisters and 1 brother. Not alwasy esay.

And not counting the single parents. So, in my eyes these factors are a reality that families are not what they use to be.

My family is considered a big one for today because we are 6 brothers and sisters together and when we all gather for an occasion let me tell you that we have so much fun and the nieces and nephews are all parts of this as well.

But again we do make the time for it. It would certainly die if everyone would just stay put.
In all what I'm trying to say is that it is not just the fact that technology took over what use to be family time, people must and shoud take the time.WE as a society and it's values are getting lasy. Me, myself , and I.

LOA

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
norwood1026 
Posted: 18-May-2008, 08:10 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacElder

male

I think part of the problem today is that no one really looks out for the other the family I mean. 200 -300 years ago famlies counted on each other to make it though life. These days it seems kids can't wait to break free of thier family.
Something has really changed over time & sadly for the worse. All this hugh tech stuff was supposed to make life easier, & it seems all that it has done is push us apart.

--------------------
I worship the old Gods because my heart tells me too, not because I am told too.
PMEmail Poster               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 19-May-2008, 05:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

QUOTE (norwood1026 @ 18-May-2008, 10:10 PM)
I think part of the problem today is that no one really looks out for the other the family I mean.  200 -300 years ago famlies counted on each other to make it though life. These days it seems kids can't wait to break free of thier family.
Something has really changed over time & sadly for the worse. All this hugh tech stuff was supposed to make life easier, & it seems all that it has done is push us apart.

norwood1026,

I wouldn't go as far as being dramatic in saying that families don't look out for the others today.It's just that's it's done in a different way.
In those days they did not have community centers helping out the one in needs, they did not have welfare, they did not have food shelter, and I don't want to go off topic here but the catholic church was a great influence on families.
They would preach to to be poor and have plenty of kids even though they were so poor as not being able to feed them. That's why in cities there was so many abandonned kids and hobos.

Life was quite different in those days and even though we'd like to think that they were looking for each other. You may be surprised but big families would give preference to male than female. When money was involved a lot of women were just forced to be married to someone they did not even decide upon, it was decide by the head of the family which usually was the first born who had the power to decide for everybody in the family. And the younger brothers either one for the church and the others bought commission to serve in the army.

The difference with today is what I said before in my earlier reply is that everything is too easy and everyting is complicated at the same time.In some way "we" as a society have taken for granted things that shouldn't and forgot along the way the price of lost values.

Our parents would let us play when we were young today they just don't have the time anymore, life is too fast. Go to the gym "oh,yes I must be slim and beautiful",
go to the bar with false friends just to show off, buy things that one don't really needs just to show the neighbor that one can be as good and I can go on and on.
This is the values that people have today and as for all the commodities we have in our society this is why we have problems and seem that people are pushed apart.

LOA
PM My Photo Album               
norwood1026 
Posted: 19-May-2008, 01:03 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacElder

male

While I agree with you to a point I still think it requires an effort to make time with your family. Dropping your kids off at the mall for the day is not trying. My wife is the general manager at a local bookstore & she has parents dropping thier kids off at 8 AM & not picking them up untill almost close, which is at 11 PM. How is that making time for your kids? I am not saying all parents do this but if they really wanted to make to for thier kids they could. Sorry this is a personal thing for me.
PMEmail Poster               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 19-May-2008, 02:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

Hi norwood1026,

I do understand your meaning and quite agree with you that a lot of parents just drop their kids either to the baby sitter or anywhere where there not in THEIR way. And frankly these people should not have had kids in the first place it's completely immature.(Sorry if I offend here but it's my opinion). One who decides to have kids should and must understand that there are big responsibilities and it's a life contract.
But this is another topic all together.
And I am sorry that it is a personal matter for you and I hope that in your mind and heart that you don't generalized what's happening in our society is only due to the fact of internet and computer gizmo.

Because in my opinion it is much much more than that.

LOA
PM My Photo Album               
norwood1026 
Posted: 19-May-2008, 06:59 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacElder

male

Trust me I agree I believe that if you know some where down the road that your're not going to have the time for children then do not have them. My wife just found out that she has PCOS. And as of right now we're not sure if she can have kids only time will tell. This bothers me because thier are people out there who would make great parents & yet can not have kids. It's sad that some people do not see this.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]