Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Interpreting Biblical Law, advice please.
dundee 
Posted: 29-Nov-2005, 04:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

male

I didn't know if this should go in general topics or kirk and chapel.... so put down the stones...... biggrin.gif

I need some advice, regarding some elements of God's Laws and how to follow them:.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.

I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev.21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me nclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev. 24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws?(Lev. 20:14)

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
coastman 
Posted: 01-Dec-2005, 03:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Coastal Georgia

male

Gentiles are not bound by The Old Testament Laws/Mosaic Laws. We are bound by the New Covenant hand down by Christ from Calvary.
PMEmail Poster               
dundee 
Posted: 01-Dec-2005, 03:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

thanks coastman..... sure is nice being under "Grace" isnt it?....

this post was planted with tongue firmly in cheek.... biggrin.gif
i thought it was pretty funny... rolleyes.gif
Herrerano 
Posted: 01-Dec-2005, 03:54 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Isthmus, Keeper of the Holy Barbecue
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Republica de Panamá

male

dundee Posted on 01-Dec-2005, 04:44 PM

this post was planted with tongue firmly in cheek....

sad.gif UH OH! sad.gif

--------------------

Consistency. It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup.

Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunatley it kills all its pupils. - Hector Berlioz

"No matter where you go, there you are." - R. Young

ˇVisté! ˇTe lo dijé!
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 02-Dec-2005, 09:15 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (dundee @ 29-Nov-2005, 05:06 PM)
I didn't know if this should go in general topics or kirk and chapel.... so put down the stones...... biggrin.gif

I need some advice, regarding some elements of God's Laws and how to follow them:.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.

I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev.21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me nclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev. 24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws?(Lev. 20:14)

1 your friend is wrong, it is ok for you to own Canadians

2 how old is your daughter

3 good luck

4 smite away

5 I found the police to be no help at all in such matters

6 I would consult THe Guiness book of Abominations for this one

7 Stay away from the altar 4 eyes

8 Slowly and painfully

9 I prefer the latex gloves for the ultimate pigskin protection

10 Rules is rules

Best of luck with this and I hope that I have been of some help wink.gif

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Shadows 
Posted: 03-Dec-2005, 07:20 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

This may have been placed here for fun....

BUT what are the answers????

You can't believe part of a doctrine and not others.
I have seen so many posts on forums claiming the bible is the "only word", then when questions like these come up they are swept under the table as not having meaning to modern believers.

I guess you can pick and choose what laws god has set down that suite you.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Antwn 
Posted: 03-Dec-2005, 09:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

Thanks for the post Dundee...very funny!!

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
ChocolateFilk 
Posted: 03-Dec-2005, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacElder

Realm: San Diego Area

male

I have seen so many posts on forums claiming the bible is the "only word", then when questions like these come up they are swept under the table as not having meaning to modern believers.

In the Christian Bible you have the Old Testament and the New Testament. The Old Testament was for Israel Only to set as an example to the world on how to live. The OT was fulfilled when Christ came to Earth. The NT is God's instructions for the Christian. The OT is a foundation for the new. Some of the rules were changed, like Jesus declaring that all foods are now clean, or it is no longer an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.

--------------------
Jesus is Lord ||| Love Kate ||| Clan Ross ||| Science Fiction ||| Windbourne Sound ||| Filker
PMEmail Poster               
blackcloud1129 
Posted: 03-Dec-2005, 01:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacElder

Realm: Hudson Valley

male

Dundee's questions and Raven's answers are very good. I sent them along to all my Minister friends. I'm sure they will get a kick out of them. We Christians do have a sense of humor.
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 03-Dec-2005, 04:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (Shadows @ 03-Dec-2005, 08:20 AM)

Shadows

Like has been stated, these questions were obviously placed here for fun.

Obvious, because of the way they are put in out of the context that they were written. and with ludicrous queries alongside.

I personally believe the OT to be as applicable today as ever in the context of the whole Bible.

Having read the Bible cover to cover at least 15 times (I lost track somewhere along the way as I am not keeping score) I have found the Old Testament and the New Testament to be in perfect harmony with each other. It is simply a matter of understanding them in context with each other. I could spend a lot of time writing here about specifics, the whole thing about an eye for an eye verses love your neighbor thing, but I think that it is self explained in the context of the entire collection of books.

I also believe that if you really want the answers to these questions, the only way to find them is to read and study the Bible for yourself. That way you can get the answers undiluted by the prejudice, and perspective that we all ad to our interpretation.

One overwhelming edict in the Bible is to be a lover of and a searcher for the Truth. God promises that if we ask we shall recieve, seek we shall find, knock and it will be opened. I believe that this is specific to the Truth.

I agree with you, one can not believe some of the doctrine and not all of it. Also understanding that the law delivered in the Old Testament served the purpose of proving that no one could fulfill it. There is no change in the law, only according to the New Testament we now have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. The law/rules have not changed. The people of the Old Testament knew Messiah was coming only they were looking forward to Him as we are now looking backward to Him.

I will be happy to do my best to answer all of your questions as they arise, you can PM me or ask them in forum and I will do my best (along with a lot of others I am sure biggrin.gif ) But I think the best answers come from reading the Bible, prayer and asking God to show you the truth in all matters.

Just a word of warning, the answers may not be what you want them to be, but that is the way the truth works.

All the best and I'm here if you need me.

Sláinte

Mikel
dundee 
Posted: 04-Dec-2005, 02:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

Please refer to line 1 in my signature.

why is it that some people just dont want to laugh and have fun anymore???

mikel.... my brother thank you for both of your replies.....
one for the great laugh (excellent comic foil) and one for the undeniable Truth. both well spoken. and and thank you to the rest of you that didnt over think this post and got the intent.

i originally posted this in the general forum... i was joking about not knowing
where to post it. i sure didnt expect it to be moved to Philosophy, Science & Religion *LOL* the jesters court or the pub maybe, but not P,S &R... i wouldnt normally even come in here.

for future reference.... please do not over think any of my posts....
i am a pretty shallow guy.... i like to laugh and i try not to take anything to seriously (i am getting to old for that). that also refers to any and all comments about redheads......

peace to you all. note.gif
Aaediwen 
Posted: 04-Dec-2005, 09:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

I didn't state my reasons for chosing this forum when I moved the thread. I know it was all for fun and all, but it makes a very valid and important point that I believe belongs in here, since it's not one specific to any religon. The point is one I've thought of studying to point out and attempt to correct.

The issue is, that many people over the years have interprited these passages similarly and not been joking. This goes for most religous texts I'm aware of. A text teaching peace, tolorance, kindness, and good used to justify prejudice, evil, torture, murder, and theft. If others agree it should be moved to a more light-hearted forum, I'll be happy to do so. Although I think it'd make a wonderful spring board for a more serious conversation about using religous texts to justify evil, and why those interpritations are incorrect.

While this thread isn't the kind I find perticularly funny per-se, personally, I do like the thread and the idea of the philosophical and religous debate which could spring from it. So I stuck it here smile.gif

May it continue on along whatever track it may.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Raven 
Posted: 05-Dec-2005, 08:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

Dundee you rascal (grin)

Mikel
dundee 
Posted: 05-Dec-2005, 11:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

QUOTE (Aaediwen @ 04-Dec-2005, 09:48 PM)
I didn't state my reasons for chosing this forum when I moved the thread.  I know it was all for fun and all, but it makes a very valid and important point that I believe belongs in here, since it's not one specific to any religon.  The point is one I've thought of studying to point out and attempt to correct.

The issue is, that many people over the years have interprited these passages similarly and not been joking.  This goes for most religous texts I'm aware of.  A text teaching peace, tolorance, kindness, and good used to justify prejudice, evil, torture, murder, and theft.  If others agree it should be moved to a more light-hearted forum, I'll be happy to do so.  Although I think it'd make a wonderful spring board for a more serious conversation about using religous texts to justify evil, and why those interpritations are incorrect.

While this thread isn't the kind I find perticularly funny per-se, personally, I do like the thread and the idea of the philosophical and religous debate which could spring from it.  So I stuck it here smile.gif

May it continue on along whatever track it may.

my question is .... why wasnt it left where it was?
here is the heading for the "General Topics"

General Discussion
General discussion area open to all topics.

i do seem to have a problem with getting topics moved. and i understand that technical questions should be in the technical area... but i was sure that this one fit under the "open to all topics" criteria. wink.gif i feel the general topics area is the most read of the board. and P,S & R one of the least.... *looking up at the "enter at your own risk" admonishment. angel_not.gif

mikel.... thanks ... i try.... biggrin.gif
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 07-Dec-2005, 07:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (dundee @ 01-Dec-2005, 04:44 PM)
this post was planted with tongue firmly in cheek.... biggrin.gif
i thought it was pretty funny... rolleyes.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

You are a hoot, darlin'! And I too am glad we are under grace now, not laws like that...

Siobhan Blues

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]