Posted: 01-Aug-2006, 08:08 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: St. John's, Newfoundland

male

Hi,

My name is Darrin. I am the founding member of a Celtic band based in St. John's Newfoundland (home of Great Big Sea and a host of other very talented bands) called Síochána (pronounced Sha-kawh-naa), which is gaelic for Peace. We have eclectic tastes and play a variety of music but it is predominantly Irish.

When we began 7 years ago, we were known more of charity band. To this day we still make an average 40 appearances for charity groups in and around the city, but we have become much more than that. We play over 120 dates per year and all maintain day jobs as well. 2005 we were nominated for two music awards from MUSICNL, Entertainer of the Year and SOCAN Song of the Year.

Several members of our band write the music that we perform, 8 of which appear on our CD "On Our Own".

I have several reasons for signing on here. The first is to of course promote the existence of my band and introduce anyone willing to listen to our music. But I also want to network and meet new people and to listen to some great celtic music. I have a varied taste in music myself fome Dean Martin & Glenn Miller, to Lisa Brokop & The Dixie Chicks, classical to rock & roll, Great Big Sea to the Chieftains....well...you get the picture, but the very base of my musical taste that all others builds itself form is Irish/Celtic.

I was born with an accordion in my hand (I started playing at 6) and a song coming out of my mouth. With that said, as a musician, I was late in life starting. I played with a couple of bands in my 20's but, to be honest, was always afraid to much with it because of a fear of failure and a fear of being laughed at or that people would not like it. Starting and being a part of Síochána has changed that for me. I still have the fears, who doesn't, but I don't let it bother me any more. I know that there are songs, singers, bands and so on, that I don't like, but there is a hell of lot out there I do. The same is in reverse. I HOPE you like me, my band and our music, but you can not please everyone so why wory about it. For those that we/I touch, we'll rock on. For those that we/I don't touch....Hell, we're gonna rock on with out them.....Slaínte!!!

--------------------
Darrin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Website - www.siochana.ca
or http://myspace.com/siochana

Press Kit - http://www.sonicbids.com/Siochana

CD - http://cdbaby.com/cd/siochana

2005 MUSIC NL Nominee - Entertainer of the Year
2005 MUSIC NL Nominee - SOCAN Song of the Year
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Always remember to forget
The friends that proved untrue.
But never forget to remember
Those that have stuck by you.
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
dundee 
Posted: 01-Aug-2006, 08:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

Hey welcome darrin.... hows the weather up there in newfie?
hot down here in wisconsin..... realll hot...
good to have you aboard.... beer_mug.gif

síochána sláinte

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Siochana 
Posted: 01-Aug-2006, 08:55 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

male

Hey Jim, Thanks for the welcome.

The weather is not too hot althought we have been having one of the best summers in recent memory. Today is 20(celcius) and sunny, calling for rain later. They are usually wrong and I hope they are again. We are on stage to night for the final night of the George Street Festival. It's a week long outdoor festival. Tonights show is called the Jigsnreels Kitchen Party. We are in the middle of the headline band, Celtic Connection, and the opening act Kilkenny Krew. So keep your fingers crossed that we have a dry night. This is generally the best night of the week, close to 7000 people on one little street.

Hope it not to hot for you....cheers beer_mug.gif beer_mug.gif
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
jedibowers 
Posted: 01-Aug-2006, 09:35 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Fishers, IN

male

Welcome Darrin!! Nice to have you around.
PMEmail Poster                
Siochana 
Posted: 01-Aug-2006, 09:38 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

male

Thanks Jedibowers....it's nice to be here!!
Raven 
Posted: 01-Aug-2006, 10:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

Welcome Darrin!!

WE are my space friends so I already was familiar with your music! Great stuff and welcome aboard.

I you ever come to the Midwest get with me and I can provide contact for gigs and would love to do a show with you should the opportunity arrive.

That whole thing about being born with an accordian in your hand unsure.gif I bet that was painful for your mum tongue.gif

Slàinte

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
haynes9 
Posted: 01-Aug-2006, 11:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Hi Darrin from the Navajo Nation in Arizona! Glad you found this place and wish you the best of luck with your band!

Welcome aboard and have a great day!

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
ballydun 
Posted: 01-Aug-2006, 11:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Albuquerque, New Mexico

female

Hello Darrin,
I love the name of your group, and I look forward to hearing some of your songs! I really like listening to the accordian's sound.

Welcome to our family and I know you'll enjoy the people here.

--------------------
[color=red]"I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision." Maya Angelou

PMEmail Poster               
Perkeo 
  Posted: 01-Aug-2006, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Drink
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #1
3,463,777 Gold!

King of CelticRadio!

Clan: AWARE

Welcome Darrin. Pull up a stool to the bar, the first round is on you. laugh.gif

I'll have to look into your myspace to hear your band. beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Member since 2004
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
GunChleoc 
Posted: 02-Aug-2006, 12:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Roinn-Eorpa

Welcome and I hope the gig went well! biggrin.gif

--------------------
'S e saoghal a th' anns gach cànan
Fòram na Gàidhlig
PMEmail Poster               
Senara 
Posted: 03-Aug-2006, 08:51 PM
Quote Post

Musican/Ruler of the Dells/Warrior
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Caer Portshire, Mist Hollow

female

Welcome to the fold Darrin. It's great to have another fine band such as yours to pick from in the play list. I wish you all a safe touring season and hope to catch you if you're ever in the area.

So can I find a good fish boil or maybe a decent pub burger in Newfoundland or am I out of luck there?

--------------------
Senara-ism : Life is like a theatrical production only you get to be actor, director, and audience all at once. So break a leg, sit back and enjoy the show!

"When the waves are high and the light is dying, raise a glass and think of me..." -Gaelic Storm

Cha chòir dòrn a thoirt an aghaidh pòig.
A kiss ought not to be met with a fist.

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

"I am a crazy, rabid squirrel! I want my cookies!" Hammy-Over the Hedge
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 06-Aug-2006, 05:11 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Hi Darrin, I find it grand that you and your band play for charities some...that's a good way to do good and get recognition at the same time...some of our country singers here start out in church and go big time later on.
Welcome here to our celtic community of people from far and wide...Enjoy! note.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Rindy 
Posted: 06-Aug-2006, 07:32 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Welcome to the forum Darrin I believe I have already met you on myspace.. I hope you enjoy the great company this forum has to offer. The people here are really nice. I look forward to you posting. Oh and Rock on!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 11-Aug-2006, 08:47 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Hello Darrin! Fàilte gu Celtic Radio! Welcome to Celtic Radio!

In my humble opinion, you have found one of the best websites ever. The people here are some of the nicest to be found anywhere on the net, and the music is simply out of this world.

So kick off your shoes, grab a mug of your favorite hot (or cold) beverage, turn up the music and have fun! I look forward to getting to know you better through your posts.

If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to ask anyone with the word "Guide" beneath their avatar. That's why we're here!

Again, it is so nice to have you with us. We are like one big family here, and we just love welcoming new members to the fold! I hope that you will enjoy your stay with us, and that you will come back and visit with us often. I feel quite certain that you will grow to love the place as much as I have.

Welcome to the family, my friend!
And welcome home! smile.gif

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
sisterknight 
Posted: 21-Aug-2006, 05:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: clarks corner, new brunswick

female

welcome home!!!!greatings from another part of the great white north!!!!heard you guys play....we have a house in n.b and spend lots of time there and pei where house/kitchen parties abound!!!!coming from the rock you must hear all the screech jokes so tell them i've got a pie recipe for that rotgut!!!! there are lots of musicans and singers here...so pick brains and enjoy!!!
vik

--------------------
non nobis domine,non nobis sed nomini tua da gloriam.

OKAY, WHAT DID I DO NOW??
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]