Posted: 01-Jan-2008, 08:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Howdy, Lady G, from the Navajo Nation in Northern Arizona! Glad you found this place! Good to see you posting! Jump right in and meet all of the folks that inhabit this little community. Great bunch!

Welcome aboard and have a great day!

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Lady Gippy 
Posted: 01-Jan-2008, 11:27 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacElder

female

Wow, we've got a lot of fencers here! Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, this forum being what it is... wink.gif

I would be happy for any tips you seasoned veterans have for me, because God knows I need them! biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Muircheartach 
Posted: 02-Jan-2008, 12:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Sunny Sunnyvale, CA

male

QUOTE (Lady Gippy @ 01-Jan-2008, 09:27 PM)
Wow, we've got a lot of fencers here! Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, this forum being what it is...  wink.gif

I would be happy for any tips you seasoned veterans have for me, because God knows I need them!  biggrin.gif

Hi Lady Gippy,

In thinking back, the thing that comes to mind in all the fencing matches that I competed in or watched is that the most important thing you can do is strengthen and take care of your "fencing shoulder and elbow", since those body parts are used and stressed the most. I have fought many opponents and have won because I found weakness in their shoulder or elbow and was able to take advantage of it in quick and well-placed strikes. Over time, nearly all fencers have physical problems in these areas - if you want to fence into your 60's or older, take care of yourself now.

Practice with better fencers than you is also of utmost importance - to leave you with a quote from Pirates of the Caribbean: "Using a sword is like sex. You canít get good by practicing by yourself or with your relatives." - Jack Sparrow

May your point and wit always stay sharp!

--------------------
Best cheers! Robbie
PMEmail Poster               
Lady Gippy 
Posted: 02-Jan-2008, 02:35 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacElder

female

That's great, Glorious in its vulgarity tongue.gif What would the world be without Jack Sparrow?

I shall most definitely take it into account. How would you suggest taking care of the sword arm?
PMEmail Poster               
Muircheartach 
Posted: 02-Jan-2008, 03:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Sunny Sunnyvale, CA

male

Hi Gippy!

To start with, like any sport (I'll use that term, since I am guessing that you are doing this for fun and not learning the skill to run someone through...), you need to work the muscles and joints smoothly and without over-doing it before you begin. If you do weight training, which can help (although I wouldn't necessarily start pressing weights if you haven't been), you'll want to focus on resistance that strengthens the arms moving up and in, as well as curling dumbell weights that would probably be no more than five pounds, depending on your body type and size.

If you don't do weight training, then push-ups, pull-ups and general calisthenics like jumping jacks and twists can do a lot for you. The best thing to remember is, don't ever over-do it and never fence with cold, tight muscles.

Perhaps, although not being a doctor I can't say for sure, taking some form of glucosamine for improved joint flexibility would also be good, but this depends on your phsical condition and lots of things that your doctor would be better suited to tell you.

I hope other fencers will comment as well - a lot of time has passed since I held a sword in competition. wink.gif

All the best!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt