Bookmark and Share
stoirmeil 
Posted: 27-Jul-2006, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

The American Bar Association and Congress should step up their efforts to challenge in court President Bush's habit of ignoring laws he doesn't like.

Congress has approved bills that Bush dislikes, but only once has the president followed the prescribed constitutional route of vetoing legislation. Instead he has signed the bills into law, but attached the equivalent of a Post-it Note that declares his intention to disregard whatever part of the statute displeases him.

For example, a ban on torturing detainees.

Other presidents have tried occasionally to water down acts of Congress with these so-called "signing statements." Ronald Reagan was the first president to use this practice as a strategy to promote his policies when he couldn't get his way in Congress. George H.W. Bush challenged 146 pieces of legislation this way; Bill Clinton, 105.
But George W. Bush has run amok with his fountain pen, invalidating parts of laws more than 800 times. In less than six years, he has issued more of these unilateral statements than all of the previous 42 presidents combined. His record is even more arrogant when you consider that, for most of his tenure in office, Bush has been working with a Congress controlled by fellow Republicans.

It's one reason why Bush's veto of stem-cell legislation earlier this month was his first in office. Why veto bills when you can simply choose to ignore them?

This habit is plainly unconstitutional. The Founding Fathers spelled out in the Constitution a lawmaking process in which a president can either sign a bill into law as Congress approved it, allow it to become law without his signature, or veto it. Sending unappetizing portions back to the kitchen is not an option. . . .

Whole article here
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/ed...al/15130771.htm

You might want to go to the NPR website and listen to the discussion of this issue on "On Point", last night (July 26th). You can download the whole program, and I would recommend it.
http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2006/07/...0726_a_main.asp

No protests, please, about "Clinton did it too." If he did, it wasn't good, and it doesn't mitigate the practice. It hides it from public scrutiny, and it's marginally acceptable if at all (which is now up for a lot of debate sa well as public scrutiny. So scrutinize, already, public!) What is scary to me is the sheer proportion of these things from Bush. Supersize me, and hold the congressional commentary. No wonder he's never bothered to commit himself openly to a clear veto and take public heat for it until just recently. dry.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 27-Jul-2006, 04:33 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Northern Plains
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

Agreed, but other choices were so horrendous that they weren't even a consideration. But, much like a kidney stone, he too will pass! wink.gif

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
birddog20002001 
Posted: 28-Jul-2006, 04:42 AM
Quote Post

No Dude, It's the Isle of Dude, Dude.
Group Icon

Group: Isle of Man
ZodiacRowan

Realm: North Carolina

male

But, much like a kidney stone, he too will pass!

I like to think of him as more of a colon blockage in need of a flushing, just consider liberals the "enema of the state."

--------------------
"when a person is prepared to die for a cause, and indeed to glory in such a death, it impossible to supress him or the cause it represents." Jawaharlal Nehru

"Only the suppressed word is dangerous." Ludwig Borne

"All of our freedoms are a single bundle, all must be secure if any is to be preserved." Dwight David Eisenhower

"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are both immortal and divine." Socrates
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt