Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Current Events, Discuss current events around the world!
Patch 
Posted: 21-Jun-2008, 08:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

We have billions of people competing for it today and we keep reproducing. I suspect that is why "sink holes" appear in heavily populated areas that rely heavily on pumping underground water. Where I live our water comes from rainwater runoff which includes agricultural pesticides and herbicides with a liberal serving of animal waste from mega dairy and hog farms. It is sweetened ever so slightly with waste bypassing the septic systems of homes built in rural areas to "get out of town!" We get regular notifications of noncompliance and people wonder why. I refuse to drink it and would not shower in it if there were another way. I drink only water that has been through three different treatment processes. If you read the labels, some water is labeled as tap water and the water supply is names. The other is "spring" water. Springs tend to have multiple outlets and animals drown in springs. Sorry if I ruined someones favorite water.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 22-Jun-2008, 12:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

We have several springs around here, some are free water sources and some are private and charge, typically 50 cents a gallon. All these springs are under mandated water testing on a daily basis.
I miss our old deep water artesian well, pure, clean, no contaminates just good water.
Water or lack of, on other continents has already caused strife and misery for many and the Sates has its fair share of water issues.
AquaFina is straight out of the Great Lakes, I forget which one, MIchigan, I think. We have several local Premium bottled waters that are straight out of municipal water supply reservoirs, like Ice Mountain, from the Waterbury reservoir.
There have been issues about wanting to tax the commercial use of municipal water supplies.

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Camac
Posted: 22-Jun-2008, 01:17 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

USN;

We have had quite a few reports done here in Ontario about water and with the exception of the Waterton Incident (Where due to incompetance bovine feces entered the water system and alot of townsfolk got ill and a few died. The individuals responsible (two brothers) in charge of the water supply were arrested and tried and convicted) the reports found that the vast majority of municipal water was just as safe if not safer than bottled water. Certainly it was cheaper.Here in Southern Ontario and I assume Northern New York State the drinking water comes right out of Lake Ontario, Erie.and Huron.

Camac.

Patch 
Posted: 22-Jun-2008, 05:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

My small area has Mega dairy farms (ave 2000 cows each), Mega hog farms (unknown numbers) and a turkey farm. They produce more waste than the land can carry. We have a "spill" being investigated now (hog manure) and they are in the process off counting dead fish. This is the 5'th one in a year and a half. My Son lives outside of town and his well water (just one of many others) is contaminated. They finally determined that the water, not the well is contaminated. All of the spills and the waste spread on fields eventually ends up in the ground water. In chasing the dollar we have allowed the farm industry to contaminate our water.

We only get notification when the Federal inspectors are present for the test.

I buy only water treated with Carbon Filtration, Reverse Osmosis and UV light. With our extremely high cancer rates and the incidence of high autoimmune disease rates I refuse to drink anything but treated water.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 23-Jun-2008, 09:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Patch, Yikes, I don't blame you, thats alot of contamination!!!!

Buying bottled water is ridiculous unless you have serious issues like Patch, or perhaps too much money or have been pulled into this huge marketing scheme.
I suppose there may be other reasons.

Here in CT, we just had a 10,000 gallon gasoline disappearence into the ground. Big concerns as to its effect on ground water supplies.

When I was in Venezuela in the 70's doing some social economic development work, the locals would dig a hole for drinking water and 2 feet over from it they would dig a hole for washing clothes in and when you explained that the water was contaminated from the washing, they would point out, don't be silly, its from a different hole.
USN
Patch 
Posted: 23-Jun-2008, 10:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I can get fully treated water for 49 cents a gallon. I give it to my dog too. There are areas of the country where the water is still clean, Ours could be but for greed.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 23-Jun-2008, 12:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Where do you suppose all those pesticides, and herbicides, that farmers have been using, (for god knows how long), have been going? You got it, in us!

I can’t thing of a better reason for a strong, “hones” government, not even terrorism!

Boy, am I thirsty,
JC

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 23-Jun-2008, 12:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 23-Jun-2008, 10:40 AM)
Here in CT, we just had a 10,000 gallon gasoline disappearence into the ground. Big concerns as to its effect on ground water supplies.

shocking.gif

DISAPPEARANCE!!???
Where did it come from? How did it get out?

I've heard about the comtamination around hog farms. It's shocking -- I never understood why those standing pools were thought to be adequate, containment without treatment. Looks like "primitive" people in Venezuela aren't the only ones who think holes in the ground are impermeable containers.

I'm still drinking New York City tap water. I think it's OK.
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 23-Jun-2008, 12:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

A large underground storage tank at a BP gas center in Cheshire, CT. At first it was supposedly a very small amount, now it is up to 10,000 gallons. The DEP is monitoring the situation and they have not determined the cause nor the whereabouts of the unaccounted for gasoline. Very little other information is being released.
Patch 
Posted: 23-Jun-2008, 04:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 23-Jun-2008, 07:15 AM)
QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 23-Jun-2008, 10:40 AM)

shocking.gif

DISAPPEARANCE!!???
Where did it come from? How did it get out?

I've heard about the comtamination around hog farms. It's shocking -- I never understood why those standing pools were thought to be adequate, containment without treatment. Looks like "primitive" people in Venezuela aren't the only ones who think holes in the ground are impermeable containers.

I'm still drinking New York City tap water. I think it's OK.

Like everything else the fuel will show up. The problem with mega animal operations is they do not stop producing waste when the containment ponds get full. Also the waste is spread on farm land and it either leaches into the water supply or runs off into water courses. The other problem is that animals die and the disposal problem is solved by composting. Does anyone want that in their water. The animals in my county alone would require a treatment plant adequate to handle at least 100,000 people. This is happening all over the midwest. I am going to post an idea under Multiple Sclerosis about chemicals which may be something to think about. I can shed some light on the contamination of tomatos, lettuce and strawberries too.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 23-Jun-2008, 05:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I just saw that George Carlin died last night. I liked his philosophy!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 23-Jun-2008, 06:56 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

QUOTE (Patch @ 23-Jun-2008, 06:00 PM)
I just saw that George Carlin died last night. I liked his philosophy!

Slàinte,    

Patch    

Patch;

He was real cool. As to his seven words you can't say on TV , we hear that and more on Canadian TV all the time.

Camac.

Patch 
Posted: 23-Jun-2008, 07:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

His take on life was a favorite with me. His humor and the "Maxine" cartoons. There should be a lot of CD's of his stand up routines on the market soon.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 24-Jun-2008, 05:20 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Yeah, the guy pioneered intelligent comedy, in my opinion. It's sad to see him go so young.

Yes, at 29 I still see 71 as too young to go.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 24-Jun-2008, 06:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

George Carlin was a funny funny insightful man.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]