Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> St. Patrick's Day!, what's your plans?
MDF3530 
  Posted: 11-Mar-2007, 03:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

The only thing I plan on doing that's St. Patrick's Day-related is going to the Irish Mass that my church is having on Tuesday.

Here's the URL if you're interested: http://www.saint-fabian.org/bul.htm. Scroll down till you see "7th Annual St. Fabian's Irish Mass".

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 11-Mar-2007, 07:57 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I hope everyone is getting geared up for the BIGGGGG DAY! I have my dining room all decked out for St. Patrick's Day and I can take some pictures this year, I have a digital camera, yeah!!!! All the family will be here... I haven't yet made out my menu.
What have you folks got planned...I know Mike is going to mass. Mike, have you ever been to Old St. Patrick's Church? There's alot of history that goes along with that church.
Madah is marching in a parade. Is your Irish wolf hounds marching with you? I hope you have good weather that day.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Madadh 
Posted: 12-Mar-2007, 03:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fort Worth Texas

male

Had a great day yesterday for the parade. We had 9 of the hounds walking with us. A great time had by all.

--------------------
-----------------------
Céad Mile Fáilte

May God hold you in the hallows of his hands

American First, Irish Always

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
dundee 
Posted: 12-Mar-2007, 08:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

seems i will be traveling to a shower for my daughter. i dont like male/female baby showers even my daughters, showers are girl things... and it is a 3hr drive too. nuff said..... maybe i will fill my flasks... and hide them on my person. and sneak off with grandpa vern. beer_mug.gif oh well happy "st paddies day"

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
stoirmeil 
Posted: 12-Mar-2007, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

We got a beautiful thing St Paddy's Day in my neighborhood, been going on since after the World Trade disaster. The local Catholic church throws a big huge breakfast for the local Ladder Unit every March 17th -- right down the corner from where I live. The trucks come rolling in, out jump the firefighters, and they come out later full of pancakes and sporting green ribbons.

We're pretty partial to our firefighters here.
PMEmail Poster               
sisterknight 
Posted: 12-Mar-2007, 11:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: clarks corner, new brunswick

female

this past sunday was the mass of anticipation of st.patrick at st gabriel's (thank goodness that not many other presbyterians go to catholic service..i might get kicked out!! wink.gif )on saturday night i'm singing in a concert and on sunday is the united irish societies parade ( 120+ years), which i am a member of....monday i think i'll just curl up in a ball!!!

--------------------
non nobis domine,non nobis sed nomini tua da gloriam.

OKAY, WHAT DID I DO NOW??
PMEmail Poster               
Darby 
Posted: 12-Mar-2007, 04:21 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Virginia

female

Every year I cook a huge meal and try to force a bit of Irish culture down my kids' throats smile.gif . For the most part, they enjoy it, but claim they can only take so much of bagpipes biggrin.gif (their taste is all in their mouth).

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to cook yet except the "usual" Corned Beef, cabbage, colcannon or champ, soda bread, scones, and this dish with baby carrots and heavy cream -- I can't remember the name of it without looking at my recipe box. Anyhow, I'm always open to try new things, so if anyone has a great recipe, please share cool.gif . I'm having a girlfriend I work with over and I'm debating trying some Shillelagh, but when I made some last year it was nasty and potent and I keep thinking there must be a better recipe to it than the one I found. I may even be able to talk her into going to the local Dan McGuinness down the street for a little while walkman.gif . Anyway, there will be lots of music and a fine showing of John Wayne's The Quiet Man -- it's a tradition in my house to watch that one.

D

--------------------
"If you pray for a Cadillac and God sends you a jack-ass, ride it." Anon
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 12-Mar-2007, 08:41 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Oh Darby, I love the Quiet Man...I watched it last week for the umpteenth time!!! biggrin.gif Can you imagine being pulled, booted and drug by your clothes thru town and everyone in the town following and then your hubby giving you back to your brother...then after he gets the money and throws it in the furnace she's like an obedient servant and tells him his supper will be waitin' on him...they don't make women like that now a days!!! biggrin.gif I love Maureen O'Hara, what a Fiesty Irish woman she be....
dundee, how lovely that your going to a baby shower biggrin.gif you get to hear all those oohs and ahhs over all those pretty little baby things...by the way do you know if it is a lassie or a laddie? Maybe a snort from yur flask will help you to endure... biggrin.gif

BtW...has any of you folks gotten an email lately stating you had won the Irish Lottery? I did last weekend, I'm thinking it's probably some scam. I thought a person had to buy a ticket to win... biggrin.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
MDF3530 
  Posted: 14-Mar-2007, 04:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Hey all!

I went to the Irish Mass at church last night. It was cool. Before the Mass started, the choral group sang some Irish songs like "That's An Irish Lullaby" and "Danny Boy". The best one though was the parish secretary singing "The Rose of Tralee".

The celebrant, Fr. Gene Smith, a first generation Irish-American (I think he said his dad was from Galway and his mom from Kilkenny), is an associate pastor at a parish, St. Barnabas, in my old neighborhood. After Mass, I spoke to him and told him that I'm originally from one of St. Barnabas' neighboring parishes, Christ the King. Before the Mass started, they asked all the people from St. Fabian (my present parish) to stand up. Then they asked the people from other parishes to do the same (the Irish Mass committee put the word out in several parishes and local newspapers-my parents said that there was even an announcement in their bulletin). Us St. Fabian people were outnumbered 3-1.

After the Mass, they had a little get-together in the parish hall. I went over for little bit and had some brownies with green food coloring and some soda bread. I just really went because I'd never been in the parish hall before. I've never had any reason to.

Maggie, I've never been in "Old St. Pat's" before. The only church down in the Loop I've ever been in is one that's run by the Augustinians called St. Peter's. That was because I worked downtown for a while a few years ago and it was convienient to go to a couple of holy day Masses there.
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 14-Mar-2007, 05:48 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Looks like its gonna be a sad St paddy's for me. Low on funds this year. Will probably just sit at home listening to Celtic music and maybe watch The Secret of Roan Inish or Celtic Woman concert on DVD.

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
Madadh 
Posted: 14-Mar-2007, 06:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Never a bad St. Pat's when you can listen to Music, and watch some good Irish based movies. Will probably watch Darby O'Gill and the little people myself.

A merry day to all.
dundee 
Posted: 15-Mar-2007, 08:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

QUOTE (Madadh @ 14-Mar-2007, 07:03 PM)
Never a bad St. Pat's when you can listen to Music, and watch some good Irish based movies. Will probably watch Darby O'Gill and the little people myself.

A merry day to all.

see my former post.... *L* no music involved

my movie choice would be "the quiet man" though..... *S* ahhhhh maureen o'hara.... *sigh* madadh ..... she is a fiery redhead eh *nudge nudge*

here is a triva question for ya mad....

in darby ogill what is the name of the village pub?
Madadh 
Posted: 15-Mar-2007, 11:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Dundee,

I was going to wait until Saturday and watch that movie with the new grandson, now I'll have to watch it tonight.

Also I have the quiet man aniversary edition so not only do I watch it often (yes, Red Heads rule) but I get to watch all the old media reels about it as well.

What movie did John Wayne and Maureen O'hara (and the rest of the Quiet Man cast) have to make before they were allowed to make the Quiet Man?
dundee 
Posted: 15-Mar-2007, 12:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

well madadh.... i would guess that would be rio grande..... but barry fitzgerald wasnt in rio grande was he? but it was wayne o'hara with john ford directing....

i think i have the quiet man collectors too.... was surprised at how well maureen held up... fine figure of a woman... well at least when the did the collectors DVD.

think we got any maureen o'hara's around highlander??? angel_not.gif note.gif
stoirmeil 
Posted: 15-Mar-2007, 01:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Ah, Barry Fitzgerald -- That reminds me, I can watch "Going My Way." The way movies are now, when you watch it it's hard to believe it swept the awards the year it came out, isn't it? But I cry every time when they bring in the old mother.

"The Wind That Shakes The Barley" is opening tomorrow in New York down in the Village -- I'm going to try to catch the first show at 11 in the morning. We're supposed to be getting a sleet and snowstorm, so maybe I'll have the theater to myself.

The parade Saturday will be cold and wet -- I always remember how sour the poor wolfhounds look about the whole thing when they have to march in the raw weather. You want to feed them a nice fat moggie to cheer them up. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]