Keltic 
Posted: 14-Dec-2003, 10:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

Didn't we have this conversation in another thread!!

Well then, I'll have to put my two bits in again. I look at these movies which haven't been put forward as 'documentaries', as entertainment. If they were being advertised as being historically accurate representations, then I would have a problem. After watching Braveheart, The Patriot and numerous others, I found that I was entertained. I didn't feel smarter, just entertained which is what I was looking for. Now, 'Bowling for Columbine' was put forward as a 'documentary' and this makes my blood boil.

As for the "Freedom" shirts with pictures of Mel... yes they bother me and that is why I don't own one. One thing that I do have to say is that when I am set up at a Highland Games and see people walking around with those shirts, I have to wonder how many people had a new found interest in the Scottish culture due to the movie. Perhaps they will take it a step further and find a good book which is historically accurate and find the errors on their own.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 15-Dec-2003, 02:46 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Keltic @ Dec 15 2003, 04:59 AM)
Didn't we have this conversation in another thread!!

Well then, I'll have to put my two bits in again. I look at these movies which haven't been put forward as 'documentaries', as entertainment. If they were being advertised as being historically accurate representations, then I would have a problem. After watching Braveheart, The Patriot and numerous others, I found that I was entertained. I didn't feel smarter, just entertained which is what I was looking for. Now, 'Bowling for Columbine' was put forward as a 'documentary' and this makes my blood boil.

As for the "Freedom" shirts with pictures of Mel... yes they bother me and that is why I don't own one. One thing that I do have to say is that when I am set up at a Highland Games and see people walking around with those shirts, I have to wonder how many people had a new found interest in the Scottish culture due to the movie. Perhaps they will take it a step further and find a good book which is historically accurate and find the errors on their own.

You're right, it was discussed (to death!) in another thread - but I don't think the people who are commenting here were party to that discussion. And, once again, there are those who can watch something and KNOW it is fantasy, and there are those who take it as gospel. Unfortunately, unlike you, too many are in the latter category biggrin.gif

Like you, I would hope that the people who slavishly wear the 'Freedom' t-shirts etc WOULD read more deeply, but somehow, and judging by the many sites on the internet that I have seen, they are almost as fervent as born-again Christians - ie they spread the gospel according to Braveheart.... and blindly believe that they KNOW Scottish history and therefore need not learn more! rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

Your comment about the -newfounders (great description by the way) of Scottish ancestry is something that the article about Tom Devine's new book explores.... cool.gif
PMEmail Poster               
andylucy 
Posted: 15-Dec-2003, 03:04 AM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

QUOTE (Keltic @ Dec 14 2003, 10:59 PM)
After watching Braveheart, The Patriot and numerous others, I found that I was entertained.

Let me explain, just a moment.

I was able to watch Braveheart, and while aware of historical innacuracies, I was able to be entertained. I am woefully ignorant of 13-14th century Scottish history. However, I have spent the last 15 years studying the era of the American Revolution in depth- written history, material culture, social structure, you name it, I have wallowed in it. Yes, I am a reenactor, and within that insane community I am what is known as a "stitch-counter." wink.gif I take great pains to ensure the absolute accuracy of my clothing and equipment. If I can do this, why can't a multi-million dollar movie get it right as well?

I guess I am just too close to the subject. biggrin.gif

Just my tuppence.

Andy

--------------------
Just my tuppence.

Andy

Never drink to excess; you might shoot at a tax collector and miss. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

TANSTAAFL

If a person doesn't believe in something, he'll soon believe in anything. - G. K. Chesterton

9-1-1: state sponsored Dial-A-Prayer
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 15-Dec-2003, 08:37 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

The thing is: History is interesting and fascinating on its own as well, we don't have to change accounts just to make people flock into movies. That's what I think. There are enough stories that depict life as it is, which are good, which can be executed..
If only making an entertaining movie, you don't have to take historical stories and change them..

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
andylucy 
Posted: 15-Dec-2003, 09:09 AM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

I guess my problem with movies of an historical bent is the same as the problem the coven of British witches had with the Harry Potter movies- they boycotted because in the movie they were riding their brooms "backwards." biggrin.gif

I just want the film makers to care about the historicity of their work as much as they care about other facets of the film's production.

Just my tuppence.

Andy
PMEmail Poster               
Keltic 
Posted: 15-Dec-2003, 11:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

and blindly believe that they KNOW Scottish history and therefore need not learn more!

I don't disagree with you Catriona. I'm just hopeful in my viewpoint. I guess in a society where they actually edit out scenes from "The Roadrunner" cartoons because (I'm assuming that) there is a fear that dropping an anvil on someones head will become commonplace (person will be alive and well but will resemble an accordion), we should figure that "historical" depictions will be taken as gospel.

Andy,

Having such an investment in historical accuracy as a reenactor, I can see why you would have a hard time with stories such as the Patriot.

AD,

I have to disagree. Braveheart for example would have appealed more if out of the clouds came a bunch of A-10 warthogs flying low and strafing the English troops. Then as the English tried to flee, Arnold Schwarzenegger parachutes into the midst of the retreating English, cutting them in half with a machine gun.... gunsmilie.gif

PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 16-Dec-2003, 11:50 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

ummhhh... *grins* not for me anyway wink.gif

But then again the invented a super-hero scotsman who can't die as well... *sighs* wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]