> Concerts We Have Been Too Recently
CelticRoz 
Posted: 22-Aug-2004, 12:26 AM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Well I just had to open this topic cause I know many of us have been to some concerts and I wanted you all to share!

A week past from today I attended the Corrs concert. For those of you who don't know who they are, they are an Irish brother and sister band from Ireland who plays pop/rock/Irish traditional tunes. Their concert was absolutely wonderful. I saw them in Hollywood at the famous Kodak theatre where the Academy awards are held and the whole place was packed! I loved it! Who have you seen recently?
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 22-Aug-2004, 03:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Made a special trip to Pennsic just to see Heather Dale smile.gif She's great live! She doesn't need any accompanyment to completely entrance with her words. NICE!

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
balisodare 
Posted: 23-Aug-2004, 09:00 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacRowan

male

Just saw Danu at the E. Lansing Folk Festival.
Oh my they are terrific.
I'm looking forward to when they come back this way in January!

Cheers
note.gif

--------------------
It's amazing what you can do with a little motivation and a lot of whiskey.
-Name that Musician
PMEmail Poster               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 23-Aug-2004, 10:56 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

Well, I saw a bunch of mini concerts this week. Seamus...Connor..or something like that was the irish teacher... Dave MacIssac....cape breton.....Bruce..oh I don't know his last name...I should just add a link to the camp all the artists are on there...let me see if I can find it..http://www.rmfiddle.com/artists_2004.htm there ya go.

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
dundee 
Posted: 23-Aug-2004, 11:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

went to milwaukee irish fest saturday ..... saw natalie macmaster...... DAM!!!!
she must drink alot of coffee!!!!! and her band was incredible..... she danced around the stage for a full 1hr and a half..... playin such a hot fiddle i thought it was going to burst into flames.... and she really is easy on the ol eyes wub.gif ..... i would see her again anytime..... also saw the mckrells..... and seamus kennedy (the ol dun cow)....... he was pretty funny.... the mckrells had a bad stage accustically and evidently a lousy sound man for the show.... could barley make out the words to "geraldine's thinking of galway" i would i highly recommend Milwaukee Irish fest for any of ya it would be worth the road trip thumbs_up.gif ........ note.gif

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
CelticRoz 
Posted: 23-Aug-2004, 02:26 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Dundee! I have a friend who saw Natalie MacMaster in concert and she said the gal was awesome! I can believe you had a great time at her concert.
silverdragon 
Posted: 23-Aug-2004, 10:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Tarzana, CA

female

I recently attended the Long Beach Celtic Festival, and got to hear (in order of appearance) Celtic Spring, Wicked Tinkers, Gaelic Storm, and Wolfstone. Click HERE for my photos! Here's a portion of my review (from my blog):

...I danced. I yelled. I wiped out my knees (again). I actually made a new acquaintance (gasp!). I bought two CDs and got them autographed. I spent too much money. I watched dogs rounding up sheep, ducks, and goats. I had to go home early sad.gif  (see knees comment, above).

Celtic Spring: A one-family Celtic festival all by themselves, this Dad plus 5 offspring play traditional-style Irish and Scottish fiddle numbers, accompanied by bodhran drum. They also do traditional Irish dancing -- sometimes WHILE playing the fiddle! The dancing was excellent; the music is good, but not as polished as that of the other bands.

Wicked Tinkers: This is the only band whose CD I owned before attending the festival. They play Scottish traditional music, with pipes and drums -- and digeridoo, and Irish horn. They did not need amplification; they got it anyway, and just about blew the festival into the harbor... but it's all good stuff. Loved their "Bog" set, among others. They are definitely the most crowd-oriented of the bunch; one of the members actually jumped off the stage and went out into the crowd to get people dancing. Woohoo!

I should note that while their CDs contain some quieter numbers, they played strictly loud and energetic jigs, strathspeys, and reels at the festival. During their second set, they invited some local amateur champion Irish dancers onto the stage for a set of jigs. VERY good!

Gaelic Storm: An Irish-style band, with both Irish expatriate and American members, they have the widest musical range of the headline bands. A band that started here in Southern California, and clearly the crowd favorite, they played traditional Irish and Scottish dance music, original songs, and some traditional/pop hybrid numbers. Their stage presence was good, but not as strong as that of Wicked Tinkers.

Wolfstone: ...They are my personal favorite band out of this bunch, and they plus Wicked Tinkers are why I went to the festival in the first place. Of course, I took advantage of the opportunity to buy one of those elusive CDs!

Their music was superb, a wild blend of Highland jigs and reels with hard rock. They played (among others) two of my favorite numbers, "Queen of Argyle" and "Noose and the Gillies". And yes, they are the band who got me dancing and thereby was my knee wrecked. It was worth it.

However, the crowd did not respond nearly as well to them as to Gaelic Storm or to Wicked Tinkers. I think that's because the stage performance, while splendid musically, was not as visually engaging as those of the other two. Their speaking accents, as well, are harder for American ears to decipher. And when I asked one of the members when their next CD was coming out (their last was released in 2002), he said (approximately, allowing for accent) that there would perhaps, maybe, be a new CD in 2005. No doubt a question he was tired of answering, poor man, because it's not what the fans (including me) want to hear...

Well, and well. I'll just have to continue collecting their old albums, I guess.

Oh yeah, I'm back...

--------------------
Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

~ J.R.R. Tolkien

My blog: Almost, but not quite, entirely unrelated to filmmaking
PMEmail Poster                
CelticRoz 
Posted: 24-Aug-2004, 03:57 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Silverdragon! I was so hoping you would post in here cause I knew you went to this concert the same time I was at my Corrs concert in Hollywood! I am greatly encouraged to hear that Wolfstone is still together. I have a friend who insists that they broke up a long time ago! I love them and the Wicked Tinkers. You went to a grand concert. Was it Saturday, August 14th? The same night of my Corrs concert? I sure wish I could have attended this concert of yours with you since I was in L.A. at that time. We could have had fun! wink.gif smile.gif

Yay! I am so happy to see you are back!
MDF3530 
Posted: 24-Aug-2004, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

You lucky SOB. Natalie McMaster played here at Celtic Fest Chicago last year, and I forgot to see her! The headlining act that's gonna be at Celtic Fest Chicago this year is Mary Black. She's got a nice, Natalie Merchant-esque voice and style, but I really only care for one of her songs. Oh well. Maybe I'll find some other good, up and coming artists.

This post has been edited by MDF3530 on 24-Aug-2004, 04:14 PM

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
silverdragon 
Posted: 24-Aug-2004, 06:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Tarzana, CA

female

It's been a strange summer in many ways that I won't go into... but yes, that concert WAS on 8/14. I'm glad to be back; missed y'all.

But no more Chit Chat Pub. That is way too time consuming. My blog is bad enough.
PMEmail Poster                
dundee 
Posted: 25-Aug-2004, 12:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

oh forgot to mention i also saw seamas kennedy and "gaelic storm"
but alas this lucky SOB saw natalie macmaster...... *sigh*
i feel your pain mdf3530....... you should make it up to milwaukee next
year for irish fest.... do you do the ren faire up here in bristol?
MDF3530 
  Posted: 25-Aug-2004, 03:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I've never been to Bristol Renaissance Faire. I know the exit fairly well though. I used to go to the outlet malls there before I discovered how much better the one in Michigan City, Indiana was.
Keltic 
Posted: 25-Aug-2004, 09:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

I guess that I won't say how many times that I've seen Natalie MacMaster whistling.gif. Anyways, she always puts on a fantastic show (not that I've seen her).

On the other hand, being a vendor at the festivals, I've been a stones throw away from many great bands but never got to see them. One festival, we actually packed up early so we could catch Solas.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 25-Aug-2004, 10:18 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

Believe it or not, Dervish showed up in Yellowknife this past April. I couldn't believe it! If you don't know where Yellowknife is, you need to look at a map of northern Canada and then you'll understand my suprise. Anyway, I was very impressed. Cathy Jordan is the most fabulous singer I've heard in years. Physically beautiful to watch as well! Not just because she is pretty, but also because every inch of her moves with the music! Anyway, I loved this group. My only criticism was that their instrumentals were very "pre-programmed" so to speak. That is, they were exactly the same 3 or 4 tunes as found on their cds. I always like how the Cape Breton performers, such as Natalie MacMaster, John Morris Rankin, the Barra MacNeils, etc., would keep playing tunes as long as the crowd was into it (sometimes sets would go for 1o-15 mins.) Nevertheless, Dervish is a fabulous band.
PMEmail Poster               
dundee 
Posted: 26-Aug-2004, 09:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

keltic... i saw solas a couple years ago..... got to shamlessly flirt with winifred naughty.gif .... the fiddle player we really had a nice thing going there for a few seconds.... then my wife gave me the elbow...... nono.gif

wimenz they just dont understand...... wink.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]