Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Passion Of The Christ, Who's going?
andylucy 
Posted: 03-Feb-2004, 02:11 AM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

QUOTE (Kiwi Gael @ Feb 2 2004, 04:40 PM)
And, to be honest, the possibility of anti-Semitic overtones does concern me.

According to Mel Gibson, the movie is an indictment of all mankind, not just Jews and Romans. He says that he feels first in line for the blame of sin causing the Crucifixion to have been necessary. When you see the hand driving the nails into Christ, it is Mel Gibson's hand holding the hammer. He says that any anti-semitism is purely in the eye of the beholder, and none was intended.

The cries of anti-semitism have been based on a stolen script and a bootlegged unedited, unsubtitled copy of the movie. Their primary complaint seemed to stem from the inclusion of the phrase, "His blood be on us, and on our children," following Pilate sentencing Christ to death. So, Gibson has reportedly removed that phrase. The descriptions of the mob, often given as "brutal" and "bloodthirsty," are given as examples of antisemitism in the script.

Huh? That makes no sense. Most "mobs" are motiviated by something that stirs their blood, ignites their passions. The Gospels are quite clear that the crowds were enthusiastic in their approval of the Crucifixion. The gathered crowd happened to be in Jerusalem, ca 32AD, and were primarily Jewish, and the enforcing authority was Roman. Had it happened in Tahiti, the crowd would have been Polynesian, and it would have been the 5th Regiment of the Foreign Legion that would have carried out the execution, probably using a guillotine. But even though Gibson removed the "offensive" phrase, there is still catterwauling about how Jews are portrayed.

And by the way, where were all of the dear, worried, compassionate folk, so concerned about anti-semitism and religious defamation, where were all these people when The Last Temptation of Christ came out? Where were they when Dogma was released? Where were they when Priest was released? Where they when The Magdalen Sisters came out? Curiously silent. Nearly totally absent, is where they were.

Please. I guess that it doesn't count if Catholicism/Christianity is the group being excoriated, but if it had been The Last Temptation of Moses or The Last Temptation of Mohammed, a hue and cry would have been raised. Yes, this does irritate the bejeebers out of me, and no, I am not repentant of this fact. The Passion of the Christ portrays one man's vision of the Christian view of the last 12 hours of Christ's earthly life. If Jewish (or other) leaders don't like it, they can produce a version that better suits them. That's the free market. That's freedom of expression. That's freedom of religion. Huah.

Just my tuppence.

Andy

--------------------
Just my tuppence.

Andy

Never drink to excess; you might shoot at a tax collector and miss. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

TANSTAAFL

If a person doesn't believe in something, he'll soon believe in anything. - G. K. Chesterton

9-1-1: state sponsored Dial-A-Prayer
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 03-Feb-2004, 11:26 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

I do plan on seeing this in a Theatre. I have intentionally NOT read any of the press about it. Because I don't want any outside influence on my opinion of the picture.
I know the story, and I know Gibson's religious beliefs. ( he's not shy about them) I hope that he really gives this his all. Which I believe he has.

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 03-Feb-2004, 02:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (andylucy @ Feb 2 2004, 02:06 PM)
What I thought interesting in the interview was his statement that this movie could be a career killer. Of course he said he did not care whether he ever worked again. Making this movie was what was important. That doesn't sound like the Mel Gibson of the past. Perhaps his religious epiphany has changed his outlook on the world.

You know, my first thought when I heard about his making of this movie was that its the bravest thing I've ever seen an actor do! I am so proud of him, I could pop. I really appreciate it that he's trying to present the story as it actually is in the Bible...

I'll be there as soon as it opens!

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 03-Feb-2004, 08:49 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

If anyone is interested...Diane Sawyer will be interviewing Mel Gibson, Feb 16th, not sure of the time, on ABC. Check your local viewing list for more details.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 04-Feb-2004, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh thank you Maggie! smile.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Elspeth 
Posted: 04-Feb-2004, 04:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

I definitely want to see it. And I agree with Siusaidh, I am proud of Mel for doing what he believes passionately in.

Perhaps I've skimmed too much, but I'm confused Andy. Why would a quote coming from Pilate be seen as anti-semitic? He wasn't a Jew. Oops, maybe misread what you wrote.

I agree with Jason in that I've stayed clear of all the media hoopla. I like to see movies with as little preconceived ideas as possible. It did confuse me why this would be seen as anti-semitic. Are there those who contest the history how Jesus came to be crucified?

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
andylucy 
Posted: 05-Feb-2004, 05:25 AM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

Pilate said, "I am innocent of the blood of this just person. You see to it." The crowd replied, "His blood be upon us and on our children." (paraphrased from Matthew 27:24-25) Remember that the crowd was composed primarily of Jews.

This statement has often been cited as the root cause of the anti-semitism that sometimes springs from Passion plays. It does implicate the Jewish people of the time in the death of Christ, and hence to deicide. It was their decision at the time to attempt to implicate their children of the future in the act.

My personal opinion (as though anyone cares wink.gif ) is that it is a mistake to remove that line from the dialogue. This movie is supposed to be based on the Gospels, and that line is in the Gospels. QED, that line should be in the movie. If someone is offended, don't go. It is just that simple. This movie is aimed at Christians, it is not an ecumenical excercise.

Just my tuppence.

Andy
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 05-Feb-2004, 06:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

I agree it should be left in. If anti-semitistic (sp?) actions have resulted from those words in the past, people were only looking for an excuse to act upon what was in their hearts anyway.

In thinking on this, I believe I have gotten to the heart of why this anti-semetic thing bugged me and seemed ridiculous from the start. They ALL were Jews. OK, the Jewish authorities plotted Jesus' death. But the disciples were Jews, the people were Jews. I don't believe they all cried crucify him. And they were following the lead of their elders. The story to me is about people and human nature, not Jew or Gentile. About the corruption of power and position what the fear of losing them can do to people. It is about a crowd of people who one day are crying Hosanna and a few days later crucify. This has nothing to do with being Jewish but it has everything to do with being human.

And as an aside, I never did understand the philosophy behind sins being passed onto the children. As I remember my Greek mythology, this was the belief here as well. Like I never understood why I had to suffer for Eve's sins. I'm willing to suffer for my own, - there are enough of them to last me - but why should I be cursed from birth to take on hers as well?
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 06-Feb-2004, 10:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (andylucy @ Feb 5 2004, 06:25 AM)
Pilate said, "I am innocent of the blood of this just person. You see to it." The crowd replied, "His blood be upon us and on our children." (paraphrased from Matthew 27:24-25) Remember that the crowd was composed primarily of Jews.
This statement has often been cited as the root cause of the anti-semitism that sometimes springs from Passion plays. It does implicate the Jewish people of the time in the death of Christ, and hence to deicide. It was their decision at the time to attempt to implicate their children of the future in the act...

I've always thought too that the 'crowd' was not necessarily a majority of the people and although their sentiments reflected what they wanted, they were not necessarily vocalizing what most of the community thought. What about the thousands who were said to have become believers after Jesus visited their villages... what about the people who didn't even know Jesus had been subjected to such an quick and illegal trial , and never had the chance to express themselves until it was too late!

I've never felt any negative emotions towards the Jewish nation because of what happened to Christ... honestly, I think if he'd been born a Scot or a Russian or of any other group of people, the same thing would have happened: he would have been received by some, rejected by others, sent to death - but also he would have been resurrected too. It just happened to be the Jewish nation that God chose to send Christ to us through; any other race or nationality would have responded the same way. What's going on with Christ's death & ressurection is bigger than nationality - its a basic interaction between God and mankind! That's what makes it so universal...
PM               
MacErca 
Posted: 07-Feb-2004, 07:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Houston, Texas

male

I dont really understand all the people saying Anti-Semitic things about this movie, well, I do understand, but if they would just read and study the scriptures, or even the history book written by Josephus on His trial where He said "No man takes my life but I willingly lay it down....." if they could just comprehend what He meant, and understand that they were the instruments used to carry out this very special plan, for all mankind.

But that is another chapter. smile.gif

--------------------
"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
Remember the men from whom you are descended.

I am Wolf.
It is my cry you hear in the night,
My eyes that gaze at you from the shadows.
It is my heart that beats in your Soul,
My strength that makes you whole.
I am Wolf. I am in you.
You are in Me. We Are Wolf.
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 09-Feb-2004, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (andylucy @ Feb 3 2004, 03:11 AM)
The Gospels are quite clear that the crowds were enthusiastic in their approval of the Crucifixion.  The gathered crowd happened to be in Jerusalem, ca 32AD, and were primarily Jewish, and the enforcing authority was Roman.  Had it happened in Tahiti, the crowd would have been Polynesian, and it would have been the 5th Regiment of the Foreign Legion that would  have carried out the execution, probably using a guillotine....

Please.  I guess that it doesn't count if Catholicism/Christianity is the group being excoriated, but if it had been The Last Temptation of Moses or The Last Temptation of Mohammed, a hue and cry would have been raised.  Yes, this does irritate the bejeebers out of me, and no, I am not repentant of this fact.

Well said!
SB
PM               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 03:19 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Well I know one thing and that is that Mel Gibson is a strong Catholic and will most likely adhere to his Catholic scripture. And that Jim Caviezel, who has played in movies like the Thin Red Line and Angel Eyes, will do a great job playing Jesus. He is one of my favorite actors. thumbs_up.gif It won't be long now and the movie will be there for all us to see! smile.gif
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 13-Feb-2004, 12:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

My pastor and his wife got to see the film last week, at a conference in Jacksonville Florida... they said it is absolutely remarkable, true to scripture, and guaranteed to touch you deeply. Judy said that after it ended, there was hardly a sound in the theater except for some sobbing - she said there were many who were there were moved so deeply they were crying.

I think Mel Gibson is supposed to be on an interview show on Monday; I hope I can see it, I'd like to hear what he has to say about the film!
PM               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 13-Feb-2004, 01:44 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Yes! Mel Gibson is going to be interviewed on Monday night by Diane Sawyer for a Prime Time special!
peckery 
Posted: 14-Feb-2004, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Who does Danny Glover play???? king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]