BluegrassLady 
Posted: 14-Nov-2006, 07:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

Just received The Steel Bonnets by Geo MacDonald Fraser in the mail yesterday and had to check it out. It is a nonfiction book about the border clans of Scotland/England. I belong to the Armstrong Clan and this book tells much of their ways. The front flap states: "Four hundred years ago, when Queen Elizabeth ruled over a comparatively peaceful Merry England, the people of the English-Scottish frontier country were living in the grip of feud and organized gangsterism. This is the story of that bloody land and of the men in steel bonnets-clan leaders, outlaws, and peasants-who "shook loose the Border" in murderous raids in spite of all that two governments could do to stop them. Although very enlightening, I think I will need to read this book in stages.

CR...after reading some of the above book yesterday, I needed to return to a more romantic setting so I finished Highlanders Touch last night before I went to bed! Your right, each book keeps me reaching for the next in the series.
Kiss of the Highlander is next! biggrin.gif

Guess I'll have to check out the Kathleen Givens' books too!

BGL smile.gif

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 16-Nov-2006, 01:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

oh yes, BGL, I love Kathleen Givens' books as well. I don't think there is anything compared to Moning's Highlander series, but I do love the Kathleen Givens' books as well. Let us know what you think.

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 20-Nov-2006, 04:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Indiana

female

I just finished reading Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning and have now moved onto Knights of Darkness by Kinley MacGregor. It is the first book in the Lordsof Avalon series
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Tookish 
Posted: 21-Nov-2006, 03:44 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Austin Texas

female

Right now I am working on Forever Odd by Dean Knootz. (I really loved Odd Thomas) Although I am going to put that on hold and start Eragon by Christopher Paolini. Hopefully I can finish it before we go see the movie.
PMEmail Poster                
Rindy 
Posted: 24-Nov-2006, 10:43 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

I am trying to read Eragon by Christopher Paolini. I am having a hard time getting one thing done this week...
I saw the teaser of the movie and I thought that it looked good.

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 22-Jan-2007, 07:22 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Currently at my bedside: The Archdiocese of Chicago: A Journey of Faith. It has the history of the Archdiocese and pictures of all the churches in Cook & Lake County, Illinois (the two counties in the Chciago area served by the archdiocese).

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
haynes9 
Posted: 22-Jan-2007, 08:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Working on the novel Ireland by Frank Delaney. Also working on two of the Civil War series by Newt Gingrich.

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
gcw57 
  Posted: 22-Jan-2007, 11:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: British Columbia

male

Greetings one and all! biggrin.gif

Hey Mike - does your book include anything about Andrew M Greeley? I found Father Greeley's books to be an easy introduction to the Catholic Church, his Blackie Ryan series is very good and, of course, I really enjoy his "Irish..." series.

angel_not.gif I understand that the Church has gotten pretty ticked at him from time to time because of what's in his books, but I haven't seen any problems. In fact, he probably explains Catholic life so well through his stories that he has brought people to the Church.

I hope everyone is healthy and happy?

--------------------
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 23-Jan-2007, 04:44 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

male

QUOTE (gcw57 @ 22-Jan-2007, 10:28 PM)
Greetings one and all! biggrin.gif

Hey Mike - does your book include anything about Andrew M Greeley? I found Father Greeley's books to be an easy introduction to the Catholic Church, his Blackie Ryan series is very good and, of course, I really enjoy his "Irish..." series.

angel_not.gif I understand that the Church has gotten pretty ticked at him from time to time because of what's in his books, but I haven't seen any problems. In fact, he probably explains Catholic life so well through his stories that he has brought people to the Church.

I hope everyone is healthy and happy?

It mentions him briefly, but only in the description of my old parish. Father Greeley used to be the pastor there before we moved there and he used Christ the King as a model parish for several of his books.
MDF3530 
  Posted: 23-Jan-2007, 05:00 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

male

Here's the URL for the Chicago Archdiocese's website on the book I mentioned:

http://www.archdiocese-chgo.org/pdf/book_0.../book_0506.shtm
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 23-Jan-2007, 07:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Warning! Boring books ahead!

Ok, maybe only a little bit boring since they are my assigned readings for class but still interesting. I'm reading Christian Religious Education by Thomas H. Groome and A Post Modern Perspective on Curriculum by William E. Doll Jr. The latter is very interesting in its suggestion that the scientific revolution itself is what ruin our educational system today. Both book are very heady but if you can get past them you do start to see things from a different perspective.

I read Frank Delany's Ireland and thought it was wonderful. I've thought about memorizing some of his tales combined with other sources and using them for a storyteller role for our ren faire here in town. I do hope he writes another. Same with Morgan Llywelyn.

It will be Angela's Ashes next. I finished his brother book and I never did get to see the movie version for Angela. After that I may reread the free Bud Mcfarlane books I got from catholiccity. They are still my favorites.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 26-Jan-2007, 09:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Indiana

female

I am actually shifting gears here and going to read:

Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science by Jeff Meldrum

I waited for awhile to pck up this book, but finally got it. I am usually a historical romance/spirituality reader, but paranormal, cryptozoology and things like that I read too, although there aren't a lot of real good books on the subject and least not ones I can brag about wink.gif
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
celtica 
Posted: 27-Feb-2007, 08:05 AM
Quote Post

Lady of the mists
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Brest - Brittany

female

I'm reading Africa Trek by Sonia and Alexandre Poussin. This couple was walking trough the African continent from The Cape (South Africa) to Israel. 14000 kms of long journey (3 years !) in the steps of the first human beings. They never use any transports and their vision of Africa is very interesting because they really live with the people, asking every night for hospitality. A real human adventure !

--------------------
Que restera-t-il de notre sang mêlé au sel, sans trace dans les mémoires ? Une ultime navigation, trompeuse. Et des souvenirs, illuminés d'embruns. Mais condamnés au silence de la mer... Loïc Finaz.
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 01-Mar-2007, 05:48 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

male

I'm reading Barack Obama's book "The Audacity of Hope". I checked it out from the library the other day and I will present a book report to the class when I'm done biggrin.gif .
DesertRose 
Posted: 03-Mar-2007, 09:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Mike! That oughta be interesting. Let us know what you think!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt