> Diana Gabaldon Fans
CelticRoz 
Posted: 16-Feb-2005, 01:41 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Hi Rindy! Hope your Tai chi teacher likes it. A friend of mine told me that all her DG books were sitting on her coffee table and her father-in-law saw them and he being an avid reader himself started skimming through her books and asked if he could borrow them afterwards as he felt DG was a really good writer. I told her that I know a lot of men who have read her books!

Anyway, I have to say that both Outlander and Voyager were my very favorites out of the whole series. I am anxious to discuss the books with you and anybody else who wants to discuss their favorite books in the series as well as their favorite scenes in them. I can't wait till ABOSA (the next book in the series) comes out in September. But then this is giving me a chance to read other books in my private library that I keep buying! rolleyes.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 16-Feb-2005, 06:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (gwenlee @ 12-Feb-2005, 09:21 PM)
CelticRose I just wanted to let you know I got the book Into the Wilderness. I haven't started it yet but I will let you know how I like it

gwenlee, have you started on "Into the Wilderness" in the meantime? I'm rereading the series at the moment and am half the way through it. Personally I love it and I love Sara Donati's way of writing. But other than often said I do not think her style is very similar to Gabaldon's style or way of writing. To my mind she has a very own and unique style.
However I dearly love the series and just got the 4th book of it "Fire along the Sky". Enjoy your reading! smile.gif

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
gwenlee 
Posted: 16-Feb-2005, 06:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

I was introduced to Diana Gabaldon by a co-worker. I was talking about time travel and she said have I got a book for you. She told me a little about what the book was about and was going to bring me a copy. She kept forgetting so I went to Barnes and Nobles. I couldn't find the book at first so I asked the clerk if they had the book and she took me to it. The clerk had read the series and so excited talking about it. It took me about 8 weeks to read all the book. I took extra time with the Fiery Cross and at the end I felt like I was saying good by to friends. I have since bought the book in hard cover. I really enjoy Diana Gabaldons style of writing in fact it was hard for me to read other romance novel because as a whole the characters in other books seemed shallow and the books had no substance.

I have started the book Into the Wilderness by Sara donati and I like it so far. Actually it is very good. That is one of my favorite times in American history.
Hugo 
Posted: 17-Feb-2005, 12:43 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacIvy

I want to read it by my mom keeps forgetting to give it to me. I did read bits and pieces and I like what I've read but it doesn't take much for me to like a book

--------------------
My homeland is the grasslands home of the Karaya tribe just one of the six clans.
The with the Zexens is still on after loosing my best friend I was forced to go to the duck clan village. There I met Lilly and her crew. I promised to take them the Lizard Clan' Great Hallow (where my family was hiding). After we get there there seemed to be a fighting going on between the rest of my clan (Karayan), the lizard clan and the iron heads. After the battle settled I have to go to the Lake Castle. There is were we all get separeted. Going to another one of the clan's villages I met the women that killed my best friend, Lulu, Lady Chris fighting for our clans.
Favorite saying: "Married is a Bliss to women misfortune to men"
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 17-Feb-2005, 03:23 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Gwenlee! You are liking Into the Wilderness? Good to hear. I think I will read that series next. I think I need a break from Highlanders for awhile! LOL

Thanks for sharing how you got into the DG books. I find her writing style to be very unique in the way she makes you feel like you are there. How she goes into such detail and leaves you either laughing or crying during certain scenes. I am trying to get each book in hardback now and hopefully get her to sign them all for me.

Hi Gabby! Have you read The Immortal Highlander yet? The lead girl in there goes by the name of Gabby! I thought of you. I still have to get Fire Along the Sky. I will do that soon.

CelticRoz 
Posted: 17-Feb-2005, 03:27 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Forgot to mention, Gwenlee. Ian, Claire and Jamie are mentioned in the book Into the Wilderness!
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 17-Feb-2005, 04:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 17-Feb-2005, 04:23 PM)
Hi Gabby! Have you read The Immortal Highlander yet? The lead girl in there goes by the name of Gabby! I thought of you. I still have to get Fire Along the Sky. I will do that soon.

Her name is Gabby? I will enjoy the reading the more then...if the book will come out here finally. Yes, it's a very sad truth that we STILL can't order it here and STILL have to wait for the book to be published here... sad.gif
gwenlee 
Posted: 18-Feb-2005, 11:37 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

female

HI CelticRose. I am in chapter 27 of Into the Wilderness. Jamie, Clare, and Ian were mentioned in chapter 25. I really like the book so far.

Hey Gabby I hope you get to order The Immortal Highlander soon. I think that was my favorite of that series.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 18-Feb-2005, 06:43 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh wow! Gabby! You still don't have that book? I wonder when it is going to be published there? That book has been out almost a year now! I am really enjoying The Immortal Highlander. It has a really good story about Adam Black in there. Maybe you can order it on her website? http://www.karenmoning.com/ Just a thought. It is still in hardback here.

Gwenlee! I am glad you are enjoying Into The Wilderness. I hear it is a really good book and the others in the series to follow.

I am going to the Highland games next weekend and I got word today that Diana Gabaldon will be there too, so I plan to take some of my hard backs and get them signed by her. Yippee!
gwenlee 
Posted: 18-Feb-2005, 08:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

female

CelticRose you are so lucky to be meeting DG. I am hoping she makes it to GA sometime. The Highland Games, and Scottish Country Dancing Demos will be starting soon here in the southeast. unfortunately when these start I won't get much reading done. So I'm hoping to get in some reading before April when the games begin.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 19-Feb-2005, 01:07 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Gwenlee, do you go to the Stone Mountain Highland games. I have a friend there who has been to that one a few times. She says it is really good. Do you dance at all at them?

I finished "The Immortal Highlander" last night and it was sooooooooo good. I think it is the best of the series! I really enjoyed the story a lot. Now can't wait for her new book! LOL

I got out my Into the Wilderness book and going to start on that tonight. wow! It is a big book! After reading DG's books, it has been nice to do some quick reads for awhile.
gwenlee 
Posted: 20-Feb-2005, 06:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

female

CelticRose I do go to the Stone Mountain Games. It is a nice game. It is held in the fall which is nice because GA can be so hot. This past year we had to turn on the heat in the camper because the temp. got down to the 30's at night. During the day the temp. was nice in the mid 60's. My son who is so hot natured said contrary to popular belief one freezes their buns off in a kilt. all of us had a good laugh, and we ladies said we know this very well. He was so thankful for his wool socks, at first he didn't want to wear them because he was so sure it was going to be too hot. And yes I do dance at the games. I started dancing last year with my youngest daughter she was 13 at the time and she was the one who got me started. It is a lot of fun. We have a social almost every month and through out the year we have workshops and demos.

If your friend comes to the games this year tell her to stop by Clan Donnachaidh's tent and say hello. And if she would like to go to a nice one in the North GA mountains. Blairsville, GA is having a game June 11th. This is their second one and last years was so nice. I'll be there too (dancing and at the tent).

I hope you are enjoying Into The Wilderness. I am really liking it. Someone I know has read all the series and she said she liked the second book even better. I read the Immortal Highlander and that was my favorite of the series. I like Adam Black and this was his story. Let me know how you like it.

Of yeah if you remember would you ask Diana Gabaldon if she is planning a book tour when her new book comes out? The last time I looked on her site nothing was posted.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 20-Feb-2005, 08:20 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey Gwenlee! I will tell my friend from GA about the games in Blairsville. She is on this site btw. She goes by the name of Siobhan Blues. I know she has been to the Stone Mountain games. When I lived in GA, I had never been to any of the Highland games. I was too busy going to Native American powwows instead! That is really fascinating about your Highland dancing. Gee, I often wondered if those kilts itched at all, being they are made of wool, right? I am allergic to it I think........if there is such a thing. Must be a lot of fun. I would love to do that, but with my back I couldn't. sad.gif Love to watch the Highland dancing though.

I loved The Immortal Highlander and finished it a few nights ago at 2:30 am! LOL It was my very favorite of the whole series.

I am enjoying so far, Into the Wilderness. I just started it last night. Kind of reminds me of a Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman and Joe Lando thing. LOL I have all the other books in the series too, except for the last one. I still need to get it.

It is supposed to rain here in Arizona next weekend.........sheesh! It never rains in this state until the past few weeks and hopefully it will not during the Highland games next weekend. I will most certainly ask DG about her book tour, but I am most certain she will be doing one as she always has with every book from what I understand. She hasn't posted anything on her website lately because she is busy with the final details of the ABOSA book from what I am told.

Chat with ye later! wink.gif

gwenlee 
Posted: 21-Feb-2005, 06:51 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey Celticrose I too was involved for years with Native American cultural events. For a while I was involved with the Cherokee Indians of GA in educational events and dancing. I've gotten interested in Celtic culture and events in the last few year. I've learned a lot. It was surprising to me that so much of the North GA Mountain Culture is so rooted in Celtic culture ( such as dance and music).

I don't know how bad your back is but we have a lot of people with orthopedic and back problem you name it and someone in the group probably has it. Those with a problem walk in time to the music. As a whole we don't do the high steps of Highland Dance. Next time you go to a game or celtic event check and see if they have Scottish Country Dancing. Usually they have audience participation dances.

My mom itches a lot with wool unless its lined and you can find lined kilts.

I would definitely like to meet Siobhan Blues. My oldest daughters middle name is Siobhan.

I hope it doesn't rain next week end. Lord knows we need rain but I always thought why can't it rain during the week.

You know I think you are right about Into the Wilderness being like Dr. Quinn--Loved that TV series.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 21-Feb-2005, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Funny, Gwen, how we were both involved in the same things........Native American and now Celtic. I find there are a lot of similarities, don't you? There are a lot of things I miss about GA, mostly my friend Siobhan Blues. She has read the Gabaldon series too. I emailed her and directed her to this thread to hopefully join us in the chat! She goes to the Stone Mountain Games. She is an artist and was my colored pencil instructor for years when I lived in Mableton.

I was reading ITW last night and I am in Chapter 6, but I left at a good part where Nathaniel told Elizabeth he was building her school house and would become her friend .............as a start! Ooh! The boy wants that girl! I love it!

I had to laugh cause my youngest sister who never would be caught dead reading a "romance novel" and reads only Sidney Sheldon and Nicholas Sparks books heard so much about the Highlander series books by KMM from me, she went out yesterday and bought them all! She called me and said well here I with all these books and don't know which one to start out with. I cracked up. I thought it to be so funny she would do this. I have been trying to get her to ready Gabaldon's books, but she would never get into it. maybe the Highlander series will be a good prep for her. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the tips on the Highland dancing. I live an hour from anything around here, so it really wouldn't be convenient even if I did try. But I think it would be lots of fun. Being on my feet too long and any jarring would really be painful for my back anyway, but thanks!

chat with you later! smile.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]