Richard Bercot 
Posted: 01-Oct-2003, 12:11 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

[FONT=Times][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]Hello everyone This my first time on so I guess I am a rookie. My name is Richard Bercot and I have a wee bit of the Scotts and Irish in me. My love for music is mostly folk and on occasion perform in public.
I have been listening to Celtic music for a long time now, but to get to my subject. Along time ago I heard a song from an old album called "TWEED WALKING SONG", it was sang by several women in Gaelic accompanied by a single drum. If anyone out there could help me find this album I would truly be grateful.

"For every day you fish, you will live another day"

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
Catriona 
Posted: 01-Oct-2003, 05:33 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Hello, Richard - I think you mean 'Waulking' songs biggrin.gif

These are the traditional songs when women used to 'waulk' or 'full' or 'fuller' the cloth..... I remember learning a number when I was at school (a long time ago now!)

Here's a site which may help you find the very song you are looking for!

http://www.houseofscotland.org/waulking.html
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
  Posted: 01-Oct-2003, 11:23 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

Thank you Catriona for your reply and the correction of "Waulking". The sight you referred me to might help me located the song I am looking for.
Probably the reason I errored in "Walking" instead of "Waulking" is that I am a Singer and Drummer for the Shawnee Nation, United Remnant Band and we have Walking Songs ones that was used for traveling. Like those of the Waulking Songs our Walking Songs use a lot of vocables.
Thank you again and merriment to you.
Richard

"For every day you fish you will live another day."
PMEmail Poster                
Catriona 
Posted: 01-Oct-2003, 02:11 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

How interesting to hear about the Walking Songs of the Shawnee people...

My grandparents were native Gaelic speakers - it was the first language in my father's home when he was growing up. I do not 'have the Gaelic' as we would say - but that's because I was brought up as a lowlander (of highland parents) - and I am more interested in Lallans (the Auld Scots of Robert Burns' poetry).

My Granny used to make us the most wonderful Fair Isle sweaters, tammies and gloves - very intricate patterns, all out of her head - no written instructions, exactly as taught by her mother, who was taught by her mother... well, you get hte picture cool.gif She used to sing a type of 'waulking' song when she knitted. The women would gather at one person's farm or croft, when the men were perhaps helping with harvesting or whatever. They would cook and have the food awaiting the men finishing the task in hand... the women would spend the waiting time knitting or sewing... They always sang at their tasks.
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 01-Oct-2003, 04:31 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

I do not know much of my Celtic ansestry except for their name, Flaugharty, Geoffagan, Butler and Woodsmall and that they came here in the early 1700's.
I am always interested in learning more of my heritage. But one thing I do know is the soul stirring sounds of the Celtic music. As I have learned, the Celtic People were/are very clannish people as we the Shawnee People. That was probably why a lot of Celtic People married Native People. I do claim all my ancestry no matter how good or bad people claim they are. Because without one of them, I would not be here.
I found it interesting about your Grandmother singing here songs while working. I could imagine the feeling you have and the memories of her when you hear some of the songs she sang. I thank you for sharing that with me.
My grandfather would sing to me when he walked me to school when I was young (1961). He died soon after that and now whenever I hear "YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE" I would think of him.
As we would say here, "May you walk in balance with Creator"
Richard

"For every day you fish, you will live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
Elspeth 
Posted: 01-Oct-2003, 05:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

How interesting.... I wish I had known of waulking songs when I wrote my last book. Perhaps that tidbit can find its way into my next one.

And Richard I remember my grandfather singing too. I used to keep house for him on his farm during the summers and the only time he would ever sing was when we did the dishes together. He wouldn't even sing in church because he didn't think he sang well enough. But to the dishes.... I always think of him when I hear Easter Parade or Oh, Dem Golden Slippers.

I hope you will allow me to write you via the site's person message as a reference for my next book. I am writing in novel form of why my ancestors left the countries of their birth to settled in Pennsylvania.

Upon hearing the music of the Celts and the music of the native peoples and researching settlement patterns, I drew the same conclusion as you, that the Scottish immigrants must have felt drawn to the Native Americans for much of the two cultures seem to be in harmony. So, it only seems appropriate to include a marriage between one of the Scots lads and a native girl.

From what part of the country do your Shawnee ancestors originate? This past summer we got to go to a Native American Festival in Pennsylvania. I remember thinking as the drums were played the songs were chanted that it didn?t sound too different than bagpipes and drums. And the flute music was wonderful - full of the haunting strains I find in the Celtic songs here in-line.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 01-Oct-2003, 06:57 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

Yes Elspeth, I would be honored to have you contact me via the site's person message. Not quite sure how that works yet (being a mere peasant), but I quess that is part of the growing stage. Thank you for sharing with me of your grandfather. Hopefully those were pleasant times.
It depends on the time period you are talking about on the locations. In the early 1600"s they were in the Carolinas'. My 11th great-grandfather was Powhatan. In the early 1700's and 1800's they were in Kentucky, Ohio and Pennsylvania. My family was one of the families that was not removed in the 1830's.
But like you, my Native music and Celtic music seems to chime together. From my understand this is how the Appalachian Mountain music came to be.

My you walk in balance with Creator,
Richard

"For every day you fish, you will live another day."
PMEmail Poster                
ranger 
Posted: 01-Oct-2003, 07:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

My grandfather would do the same for me. He would always sing to us, at no time in particular. It was mostlt just old 'thrown-together' southern folk songs. He would also like to take us driving and could tell us where all of our ancestors lived, where the cabins once stood, where the best natural springs were, etc. It's a shame that I never wrote it all down as he was passing on all of his knowledge. But I was young at the time and sadly it did not seem that important to me. He passed away a few years age, and my grandmother a few years ere him. Hindsight definitely is 20/20. sad.gif

--------------------
"...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

'The Lord of the Rings' - Book one
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 01-Oct-2003, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

Yes, Richard, they are very happy memories.

What area of Pennsylvania and Ohio did your ancestors live in? I am assuming they didn't live there long but in the movement from Carolina to Ohio? The festival we went to was of the Lenapé nation and it seems that was the prevailing people of the area in Western PA where my family is from. But I have a friend whose great-grandmother was always said to be Cherokee. He doesn't know if that is true or not. As far as I had read the Cherokee were farther south. Genealogy can be so frustrating.

Powhatan - how cool.

And I love your saying 'May you walk in balance with Creator' What better could you wish a person? That was one of the things that impressed me at the Festival. How the first dance was a dance for Creator, for it was only right to honor the Creator before anything else. Gave me chills.

And yes, Ranger, my grandfather used to as well show us the places and the tombstones of our ancestors in the Appalachian hills. My other grandfather showed me where the ginseng grew and where he hunted and fished.

But the best thing was my first grandfather told me stories.... And I learned from him at a very young age that people are people - good and bad- and have been since time began. I will always be grateful to him for that. Luckily, even as a teenager I was interested in genealogy, so I wrote down much of what he told me, but I wish I had the stories......

Richard Bercot 
Posted: 01-Oct-2003, 08:10 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

Hi Ranger, it is sad, when we were young, that kind of stuff was not important to us as it is now. I have been doing geneology now for 18 years and have been finding some stories of our family and now some of my elders are coming to me asking question even though I am not quite sure if they are testing me or if maybe they just do not know. When I do ask questions, they nearly always tell me that that it was never talked about except someone came from someplace but they do not know when. That is why I make this a personal project to make sure that my nephews and nieces know as much as I can teach them, at the same time have them research some of the stuff I have told them so they can learn from it and hopefully carry it on to their children. I have a nephew who is also interested to Celtic and Folk music even though he plays for a Rock Band (Not Hard Rock). I always wish him most of power. Who knows maybe he will switch over???

May you walk in balance with Creator,
Richard

For every day you fish, you will live another day
PMEmail Poster                
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 01-Oct-2003, 08:36 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

Hello again Elspeth, My people was from Western Pennsylvania, Central Ohio and Northwestern Kentucky. You will find in Western Pennsylvania/Eastern Ohio were mostly Lenee lanapee (Delaware), Shawnee and Seneca. The Shawnee people refer to the Lenapee as the grandfather people. There are still several small bands of Shawnee people in the south.

Powhatan, how cool I thought it was too. I did not know this when I worked for Disney on the "POCOHANTAS" movie doing Native background music and voice in the Algonquin language. How ever Pocohantas is not one of my grandmothers but she is still an Aunt.

Can not wait to hear from you again.

May you walk in balance with Creator.
Richard

"For every day you fish, you live another day."
PMEmail Poster                
Elspeth 
Posted: 01-Oct-2003, 09:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

Wait until I tell my kids I talked to someone who worked on Pocahontas and a direct descendent of Powhatan. Have you worked on many movies?

And I will have many questions for you when I get to that portion of my book. I am using my family tree as a basis for the story. But I get overloaded with the stories and histories from Scotland, Northern Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, Western PA, Lenapé, Northumbershire..... Which is perhaps why I am finding it difficult to start this book. I've got to separate and focus.

Richard Bercot 
Posted: 01-Oct-2003, 09:59 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

Elspeth, glad to hear from you again, I have worked on 5 films total 1 Major Motion Picture (POCOHANTAS), 1 PBS film (Theatrical Dance) I was a drummer and singer with one of my songs used (BEAR COAT'S SONG), 1 Japanese (PBS equivalent) (drumming and singing), 1 Discovery Channel "GREAT LAKE TRIBES" (drumming, singing and role playin) and one film still in the can for editing "RENEGAGE, THE SHAWNEE" (drumming, singing, acting and Screen Supervisor).
But enough about me, Huh sounds like it could be a song. What about your books? How many have you wrote and what are they?
Maybe we should talk about this kind of stuff via email. What do you think? Maybe I can answer some of your question more in depth.

May you always walk in balance with Creator.
Richard
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]