Posted: 09-Oct-2005, 08:33 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Dancing Horse
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Massachusetts

female

For my birthday I got a new 20 Gallon long tank for my hermit crabs! I set it all up with a second level , hidey spots, and lots to climb on. I also got a new hermit! I bought him for my younger sister. His species is called a Indo , his scientific name is Coenobita Brevimanus. He is from Indonesia , and is very pretty. He has purple on him , orange and red. We decided on the name "Skyler." I have to buy another Indo friend for him because , hermit crabs get deppressed and even die without another crab of the same species.

--------------------
Vicky MacArthur
I Am a Scottish Dancer and I am proud of my heritage

Horses and dogs are not my whole life....But they make my life whole!
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 09-Oct-2005, 08:36 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

My kids have tried the Hermit Crab for a pet thing several times, I don't think they live well in captivity. No matter what we did or how they were treated they all seemed to die in a matter of months. I hope you have better luck then my kids did.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
Highland Lassie 
Posted: 09-Oct-2005, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

Hermit crabs are great pets , and a learning experience. Sometimes hermit crabs just aren't very healthy from the start. Hermit's are shipped to diffrent states in the U.S and also come in from diffrent country's. Sometimes being shipped is just to stressful for them and when they go to their new homes they die. I think alot of it is based on luck. Sometime's you get a healthy hermit , sometimes you don't. I've only lost one hermit , which was due to a molt problem. They really are peaceful creatures , and I think that's why I like them so much.
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 11-Oct-2005, 09:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Hey! Congratulations on your new friend, and I hope he has a buddy soon in that big new crabitat (sounds nicer than my apartment tongue.gif) I can't believe how you have got me interested in these little critters. I found a picture of your new guy, and he is a trip! What a cool color, so subtle.
http://www.hermit-crabs.com/indo.html

So -- is he into peanut butter too? smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Highland Lassie 
Posted: 12-Oct-2005, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

I got Skyler a Indo friend the other night! When I put the new guy in the tank , skyler went right over to him. They both seem to ignore all the other species , my three ruggies/Coenobita Rugosus and my two Purple Pinchers/Coenobita clypeatus. They both just stick together. The new Indo is gorgeous! He is dark pink almost red. I named him "Houdini." He also loves peanut butter and honey as well! But this species doesn't eat as frequently as the others. You should get a few of thease guys! Their so interesting to watch , and have such personalities!
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 13-Oct-2005, 03:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Highland Lassie @ 12-Oct-2005, 03:36 PM)
I got Skyler a Indo friend the other night! When I put the new guy in the tank , skyler went right over to him. They both seem to ignore all the other species , my three ruggies/Coenobita Rugosus and my two Purple Pinchers/Coenobita clypeatus. They both just stick together.

That's so cool. I'm glad they hit it off right away, it will be so much better for them together. Probably chowing down for a little PB snack and war stories about how they got into this tank thing. When you have the new set-up all nice, put up some pictures!

To be honest, I'd be afraid to experiment with a creature so fragile, because I don't think it would be such a live and learn thing for me. I'd be attached to them right away, then I'd feel really awful if they didn't make it. You seem to have the right touch though, and they are lucky they have a knowlegeable mom, if they have to be in captivity.

I didn't realize they are more land creatures than water creatures til I read this piece about the indo's. I dunno how it would be to live where they grow -- having little crabs running around all over the place, or in a shell you might happen to pick up, like "Hey! Clear out, this is MY house!" nono.gif (Oh, scuse ME!!!)

Wild kingdom!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt