Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Save Net Radio Coalition, Help Save Internet Radio!
stevenpd 
Posted: 05-Apr-2007, 10:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

QUOTE (sisterknight @ 07-Mar-2007, 06:18 AM)
god forbid it goes through, but can higlander radio come to canada?or scotland?or ireland?or germany?...i mean CR also has international listeners as well....so your gouvernment is cutting off it's nose to spite it's collective face. it's too bad that all those petitions can't be signed by all listeners
sorry, it's just frustrating not really being able to get involved.. sad.gif

Those optioins have / are being looked at by many webcasters as a possible solution. But they are not holding out much hope.

Oh but you can help! Spread the word to everyone you know. Write to the US Ambassador or Consulate in your country. Voice your opinion! Let them know that it is not just an "American" problem. Write to the record labels and the musicians themselves, let your voice be heard.

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2018 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
stevenpd 
  Posted: 07-Apr-2007, 03:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

Here's a portion of a blog by the Talking Heads frontman, David Byrne. He also just happens to run his own webcast site.

For perspective, on my web radio I get an average of about 40,000 listener hours per month. At present I pay small mechanical royalty fees that go to ASCAP, BMI and SESAC (presumably these dribble down to the artists whose songs I stream); performance royalties that get dispersed via a company called SoundExchange, and a fee to Live 365 for hosting and doing all the paperwork. I pay about $2,000 a month, based on the above listening hours. That’s rent for an apartment for many people (at least in some cities.) I can afford it, I enjoy doing it, and people seem to like it, so it’s OK for me that I’m out of pocket. I do however realize that I am in a special position — not just anyone can afford to start a streaming web radio service if it has this many listeners. If this ruling goes through it’s likely that my costs would go up about 20%, which is not crippling, yet. But one can see where this road leads — the door will have been wedged open. It’s estimated that the per-play rates will put many webcasters out of business, all but the largest and most commercially successful.

Here's the article.

We still need to keep dripping!
jesstuss 
Posted: 11-Apr-2007, 04:17 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: New England

female

I contacted my rep and sent to my entire address book. How many will get it through their spam filters, I don't know tongue.gif but i tried. thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
We begin where our ancestors end...but wherefore go our children?
haynes9 
Posted: 17-Apr-2007, 10:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

This certainly doesn't sound good. Saw this link at Kim Komando's website. We've got to keep dripping!

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/04/17/.../ap3619663.html

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 17-Apr-2007, 09:49 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

I'm still reminding everyone, though I'm afraid some folks are starting to regard it as a nuisance sad.gif
Will keep dripping....

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
haynes9 
Posted: 18-Apr-2007, 12:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

Finally got a response from my congressman, and I've got to say it's pretty lame. Actually, HE can be assured that I will keep him apprised of the situation!

Dear Mr. Haynes:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the proposed rate increase in the royalties payable to performers of recorded works broadcast on the Internet. I appreciate learning your views on the matter.

Congress passed the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA, P.L. 105-304) in 1998, in part, to help copyright owners protect their exclusive rights against infringement facilitated by digital technologies, including the Internet.

Recently, the Copyright Royalty Board, a three-judge panel established by the DMCA to set digital music royalty rates, decided to recommend a retroactive rate increase for terrestrial stations that also stream music over the Internet. As you are probably aware, Clear Channel Communications, National Public Radio, and several groups representing both large and small for-profit and non-profit companies have asked the Copyright Royalty Board to reconsider its recent decision, fearing the rate hike could signal the end of Internet radio.

This decision is not final, as numerous groups are likely to appeal the ruling to the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington. Please be assured that I will remain apprised of the situation and look forward to the Court's decision.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. Please feel free to contact me regarding future issues of importance to you. For further updates on legislation and other federal issues, I invite you to subscribe to the Renzi Report, my monthly e-newsletter, at www.house.gov/renzi.

Aaediwen 
Posted: 18-Apr-2007, 03:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Sounds like what I got back

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

CelticRadio 
Posted: 18-Apr-2007, 06:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
246,278 Gold!

The appeal has been denied. We have 30 days. More information can be found here:

http://www.savenetradio.org/

This is the central location that a band of listeners. musicians and webcasters are launching the final and last fight. If unsuccessful then its pretty much over and 95% of webcasters will cease to exist.

A few comments I will make. For Highlander Radio we can most likely exist as a completely independent webcaster - we have enough CDs and support from hundreds of musicians to make that happen. It will take some work to get there but I think it can be done. Evenso, our site will continue as we have more than just music here - its a community! - and that spirit will continue.

Now the fall out from all of this will be loss of choice for listeners. It will start with internet radio and then hit upon every major part of the Internet that has made it such a fun ride. I honestly believe that this is not democracy at work, but the greed of men & women wanting more and more profits to line their bank accounts and stock options. It sets a precedence that may be hard to overcome.

The issues go well beyond internet radio. They are sending technology jobs overseas in hordes and now at the same time they are stomping out any sort of creativity that the internet has fostered. In my opinion it is about control, who will control the internet will be the master of the internet and therefore the gatekeeper of the flow and receipt of cash.

It should be noted that other countries will quickly fill the void. What is going to stop broadcasters in Russia or China from setting up shop under more friendly terms. In this global economy this decision will only hurt America.

The other fall is hard to judge. But anywhere from 20,000 - 30,000 webcasters are being shutdown. Your talking people that are very passionate about what they do. Thats alot of angry individuals who are going to proactively fight this decision. That component is unpredictable and I am sure that know one in their plush RIAA office or DC court room has even thought about that piece.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 18-Apr-2007, 10:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Sent some of the savenetradio letters off to the reps. You can add to the message of the letter to make it more personal. This internet and especially Highlander radio is the only place in the highlands of Upper Michigan that plays celtic music so keep dripping. Otherwise we will be stuck will sound samples on Amazon for the rest of our lives.

Haynes 9-I know what you mean about the the lame reply. And when they stick their own little ads at the end it makes them sound oh so sincere. I'm surprised they don't have a tip jar linked to their web site.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted: 18-Apr-2007, 11:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

In response to my congressman's lame reply to my concerns about the
Royalty Board ruling, I sent this letter as a follow up. I did my best to remain respectful, but firm in my demands for some clear cut action. Gotta keep dripping!

Dear Congressman Renzi,

I received you reply with regards to my concerns over the Copyright Royalty Division's decision concerning royalty rates for webcasters. As you know, the Board denied the appeal made by the webcasters to delay implementation of the rates. There were some "tweaks" made, but no long term relief. You are also most likely aware that the appeals process to the courts does not look promising.

Congressman, I have to say that your response was not what I was looking for. It sounded like a standard form letter. My request and/or questions to you are two fold.

1. What is your stand on the issue? I am aware that you will "remain apprised" of the situation, but where do you stand? As a constituent, I do not believe it is unreasonable for you to directly answer this question.

2. Would you be willing to sponsor or help sponsor legislation to block the rate change from being implemented at least until congress can thoroughly examine the situation? Within thirty days, there will be many webcasters who will shut down due to their inability to pay these outrageous rates. Will you or will you not sponsor such legislation?

In few times that I have met you, you have impressed me as a sincere and hard working public servant who has the best interests of his constituents in mind. I would like to think that I was correct in my assessment. I would appreciate direct answers to my concerns and not a form generated letter. I anxiously await your reply.

Respectfully,

Mark J. Haynes
Ganado, Arizona
John Clements 
Posted: 19-Apr-2007, 06:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Hi haynes9, I’m very familiar with those form letter responses, having received many of them over the years. Courtesy is nice, but some times it takes getting into their faces, threats, and even arm twisting, just to be herd, much less to get a response. Sorry to say this, but this seems like one of those situations. Maybe it’s time to start burning tiers in the streets?

JC

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted: 19-Apr-2007, 07:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (John Clements @ 19-Apr-2007, 06:50 AM)
Maybe it’s time to start burning tiers in the streets?

tongue.gif

You know, John, you're scaring me, because I'm just about ready to agree with you!

Actually, I also sent a follow up "snail mail" letter to the congressman. We've met and he knows that I have heartily supported him in the past. There are other issues that are important to me, but he response on this thing had best be more definite than the ridiculous form letter I received. Unfortunately, the majority of people out here on the Rez don't vote, but I do and I do my best (out of the pulpit, mind you) to influence people to vote. We'll see what happens.

Have a great day!
CelticRadio 
Posted: 23-Apr-2007, 07:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
246,278 Gold!

Keep the pressure up!

We are starting to get big media attention and they are calling upon congress to intervene and reverse this culturally asphyxiating decision. Atleast that is what the Seattle Post Intelligencer did recently.

Tuesday May 1st we plan on sending out an email to all Celtic Radio members urging them to sign the online petition at http://savenetradio.org and also passing our email on to as many friends, organizations and contacts as possible. The purpose here is not to save just Celtic Radio, but any website, podcast or online streaming music service that plays and caters to Celtic Music. If this ruling stands, it is the end of ALL independent music broadcasters period.

Here is the count down until this law takes effects and you will see thousands of internet radio stations shutdown FOREVER:

The countdown for " Until the Music Dies!" has stopped! The event took place 6181 days ago!

We are thinking on participating in a National Day of Silence of all webcasters. On that day our broadcast will go silent and our website will point towards http://savenetradio.org.

Thanks again for everyones continued help in this matter.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 23-Apr-2007, 09:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Mac, is that last link suppose to be different from http://www.savenetradio.org/
link. I signed the petition at this one and sent it off but all I got back from my congressman was a "We get lots of emails and I'll read yours when I get to it" reply. I may have to bring out the big water hose soon.
PMEmail Poster               
oconnoon 
Posted: 24-Apr-2007, 02:59 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

I have sent the email to friends to please, please protest this move by government. If this goes through it would be a tragedy. Let's all keep up the good fight!

Clare
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]