TandVh 
Posted: 07-Jul-2007, 04:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The countryside around Exeter, California

male

So many cool sites with mystifying pictures! Archeology would have been an extremely satisfying career had I been able to actually go to college other than the local JC. I have always been curious about the Egyptian tombs in the Valley of the Kings.
National Geographic lets me live vicariously as an armchair archeologist, but that's as far as I get.

--------------------
TandVh
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 27-Jul-2007, 06:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

I do love archeology very much I read a lot of books on the subject.

As for Stonehenge is concerned I've seen that place and it is simply unbelievable what man was able to built using his brain and hands.To me it's ingenious. This monument is unique and the precision with the stars is extaordinary. As you walk around the site just looking, it humbles you. It is the most spectacular monument I've seen so far.
Can't wait to see the pyramids!!!

Sadly today, man have lost this knowledge...computer has taken over.

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PMRead My Blog View My Photographs               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 09-Jun-2008, 03:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

Every year, when the kids were younger, a couple of times a year, my 2 sons and I would accompany the Connecticut State Archaeologist, Dr. Nick Bellatoni from the University of Connecticut on different digs throughout the state. It was done thru the CT Museum of Science at UCONN and was open to anyone with membership in the museum. At the time it was like $20 for a family and every weekend something was going on, from field trips, to lectures and presentations, hands on events, natural sciences, biology etc.
The field digs were always well attended and we dug up some pretty interesting sites of the native peoples. Everything from pottery shards , tools, arrowheads, fire sites, winter and summer campsites. One time we participated in a dig of an unknown artifact/stone configuration. They weren't sure if it was possibly a kiln or crematorium. They said there was only one other known similiar configuration out in Michigan. I wonder if they ever figured out what it was.

Check with your local university, state science museum, state archaeologist for local digs.

My mother just gave me my fathers collection of ancient Incan, Moche and Changos Indian artifacts. Every thing from a torquise necklace from a mummy to arrowheads, spear points, stone fishing implements, bone and wooden objects, some textile chards, rope bundles, needles, mortar and pestil and his 2 most prized possesions, 2 pottery bowls, one from a very poor indian that was broken into 3 pieces and the owner repaired it by drilling tiny holes on each side of the cracks and tying it back together. The other shows the fingerprints of the potter in the clay and is very rudimentary.
The cracked one is a much richer bowl with paint designs still visible and a rim on the base to sit evenly.
I remember he said one dated to the 1500 but I don't recall which one and what the other one is dated. Both were exhumed with mummies in the north of Chile in the Atacama Desert.

I took pics of them and placed it in my gallery if you want to see the bowls.

USN

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
Camac
Posted: 09-Jun-2008, 03:39 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

Was the last Pope Polish?

Camac.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 09-Jun-2008, 05:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

Camac, you're funny. tongue.gif

Ulster, those bowls of yours are quite beautiful indeed and have you ever thought to have them on display in your local museum?
You can be sure that nothing would happen to them and they would be well preserved and citizens would enjoy looking at something from your history.

Just an idea.Thank you very much for sharing these awsome pics. thumbs_up.gif

LOA
PMRead My Blog View My Photographs               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]