Posted: 22-Jan-2011, 09:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Looks like unprecedented stuff going on politically in Ireland. Brian Cowen, the Irish Prime Minister (Taoiseach) has resigned as the head of the political party Fianna Fáil, but is going to try and stay in power until the general elections on March 11th. Fianna Fáil has pretty much been in power, it seems, since the 30's. That may change soon.

What's interesting for me is that my wife and I will actually be in Ireland on March 11th. Guess we'll get to see some history in the making. I'm sure it will be spirited. Just hope it's all peaceful!

When the Celtic Tiger died, it seems that everyone was looking for someone to blame. I'm not versed enough in Irish politics to know who's at fault, but as we know, those that are currently in power usually pay the price.

Guess I'll send in a report as your "on the scene" reporter on March 11! tongue.gif

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
haynes9 
Posted: 01-Feb-2011, 09:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

Election was moved to February 25th and the Dail was dissolved today.

We'll still be there for the announcement on who the new Taoiseach is on March 9th. Should be interesting, to say the least.
haynes9 
Posted: 21-Feb-2011, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

Unless things change radically over the next few days, it looks like Ireland will be governed by a one party majority in the Dail. Seems that Fine Gael under Enda Kenny will be trying to lead the country out of its current mess. There is an outside chance that Labour will be part of a two party coalition, but it does not look that way right now.

Should be a wild and interesting Friday.
haynes9 
Posted: 01-Mar-2011, 11:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

Fine Gael easily won the majority of seats, but not a "super-majority." It will be up to them now to develop a coalition with the Labor Party (most likely) or with the independent candidates that were elected.

Fianna Fáil finished their fall from grace with the Irish voters, going from 77 seats in the Dail in 2007 to 20 now. Ouch!! The Green Party lost all their seats and are not represented in the Dail. Fine Gael has 76 seats and Labor has 37 following the election of the 25th of February. Sinn Fein had their best showing ever with 14 seats and Independents number 15. Something called the People before Profits Party picked up four seats.

We leave for Ireland Monday March 7, so I guess we will be there when the new government is formed. At least there was no violence, just an angry electorate making their voices heard.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]