Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Magik And Religion, How closely are they bound together?
Dreamer1 
Posted: 19-Nov-2003, 10:24 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Hi all,

There is a question I would respectfully like to ask you about Magik, and its use in your lives. How closely is the ability to use magik bound to your religious Faith? Do you feel it is because of your belief and Faith in the Goddess and the God that you are able to use Magik, or do you feel that Magik is a seperate ability/gift/element that has nothing to do with your Faith? I have read books that link the two things together, and other books that speak of people who use magic, but consider it altogether seperate from any religion. How do you feel about it? What have your experiences taught you?

Thank you for helping me to further understand.

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Celeste of the Stars1 
Posted: 19-Nov-2003, 11:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

female

Personally I believe everyone has Majik in them. Its all in how you tap into it. You don't have to be a Wiccan or anything like that to find it and use it. I do suggest how ever that if you are going to use majik you should learn something about it first. just to be safe. I wouldn't want to see anyone get hurt biggrin.gif

--------------------
Have a day!

Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
Blessed Be,
*Celeste of the Stars*

"Always shoot for the moon that way if you miss you'll always land among the stars"

'An it harm non do what you will'
PMEmail Poster                
Pagan 
Posted: 21-Nov-2003, 09:01 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHazel

female

I agree in that there is "a little bit of magic in every one". Every one uses it, even without realizing it. You wish for something and it arrives well,...what do you call that? Luck? The makeing of the wish was the casting. It is all the same even without the recognition of the act. People can unknowingly and unwittingly cast but it is when you do it with knowledge of the act, the premeditation and the intent that a real responsibility comes into play. We must all cast with highest good of all as the out come. What you cast on another and into the void returns to you 100 fold. Never cast in anger, for revenge or spite. Your intent and emotion are the two main and most important ingredients in any spell. There is a fine line between faith and religion. For me this is a way of life. Yes, I suppose it is my religion but the word religion is in itself limiting. My faith is in the creator, the devine my faith is not in myself or my abilities as an adept, practitioner or what ever I am chosen to be called at the moment. The only rule or reed that I adhere to is "to first practice to do no harm". But because of who and what I am I do not adhere to any other traditional practice. To say that I am unorthodox is an understatement. This is all about maturity. Spiritual maturity and personal maturity. Evolution and revolution on every level of your being. Dont believe that what is before now is everything, dont limit yourself, dont limit your ability, dont limit God. What is of old, is relevant to that time in the evolution of the human spirit, it is self limiting and antiquated. Does it still work? YES! But, there is a way that transcends what has gone before and that is the realm that I enhabit now.
Once again I have gone on too long. To be of the Magic is to embrace a certain way of being. It is a way of life which is more than a religious practice. It is to embrace the sacred in all things in everyday life. Religion is for the Christians. Leave them to it. You are made of and for better things. Pagan

--------------------
"the Truth is out there....."
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 24-Nov-2003, 08:59 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

I believe that magick is in everyone. I also believe that magick and religion cannot be used synonymously. Witchcraft vs. Wicca is a great example. Many people practice witchcraft, and are not Wiccan. Many Wiccans do not practice Witchcraft.

Where I am trying to go with this is one does not have to be religious to practice magick, but magick does add so much to your religious / spiritual experience.

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 24-Nov-2003, 10:50 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

I believe that magick and religion can be practiced seprately. But, there is also an intrical part of each that goes hand in hand. Sometimes not even realized.
Lets take the Def. of Magick-
"Magick is the Art & Science of causing change in conformity with Will."

Many times in a ritual/ ceremony you ask ( enter whatever here) to god/dess what have you.
Asking for a change to occur. Hense a magickal rite.
In Christianity this happens often in the form of the Candle light vigil. Asking God to aid/ help with ________ whatever.... That is Magick....

Now in Cerimonial Magick Golden Dawn, OTO and so on... Many times the Arch Angels are called upon... So again religion is some what involved.

Where does magick come from???? The Gods? Ourselves, in the learning?????

Also, this topic might bring up the differences in Folk and Cerimonial Magick as well......and the importance, or use in religious practices....
Just a thought... smile.gif

This post has been edited by barddas on 24-Nov-2003, 11:24 AM

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
Sėmeag 
Posted: 26-Feb-2009, 04:56 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Sassan

female

The only link between my faith and magic is that magic is not outlawed in my chosen religion. Its encouraged.

I keep my religion and magic very separate. My gods do not enter into my magic. Nor do I believe everyone is capable of using magic.

--------------------
Tha mi'n dochas gu bheil an eadar theangachadh ceart!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

Š Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]