Posted: 26-Mar-2004, 04:49 AM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

I never have understood the complaints about this film being Mel Gibson's personal view of the Gospels. So what? It is the prerogative of every filmmaker to infuse their sensibilities on their projects. It is up to us to determine whether that invalidates the message. In this instance, I (personally speaking) don't feel it does. I like the fact that he went out on a limb and let people see what he really believes. Is this film "Hollywood," no. When was the last time you watched a movie and were moved the way this film moves people? Hollywood wouldn't touch this film with a 3 meter casting couch (see, I am trying to use metric laugh.gif ).

Just my tuppence.

Andy

--------------------
Just my tuppence.

Andy

Never drink to excess; you might shoot at a tax collector and miss. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

TANSTAAFL

If a person doesn't believe in something, he'll soon believe in anything. - G. K. Chesterton

9-1-1: state sponsored Dial-A-Prayer
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 26-Mar-2004, 05:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (andylucy @ Mar 26 2004, 05:49 AM)
Hollywood wouldn't touch this film with a 3 meter casting couch (see, I am trying to use metric laugh.gif ).

Just my tuppence.

Andy

I highly appreciate that! biggrin.gif

I agree with you. This film isn't Hollywood. I'm proud that Mel Gibson had the courage to realise the film. As you said it to go out and let people know what he believes in.

This is a no-no in society. Religion is a private matter; not to be dealt with in such a public way.
I read that it is a movie made by a man who really has everything and who didn't know with what to deal now. In the sense that Mel Gibson is one of those who first lived their life excessivly and now as there is nothing left and everything else had lost fascination for him he is remembering religion.

First of all it is not true as he has always been a devoted Catholic - and then, where did people get the right from to insult others this way?

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Elspeth 
Posted: 27-Mar-2004, 05:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

What continually awes me is the amount of pre-release publicity movies usually release. Ads are everywhere.

Did The Passion advertise anywhere? Many say that the press played into Mel's diabolical schemes, doing his publicity for him. But to me it just shows that if God wants a message to be revealed it's gonna happen. And those who tried to vilify the film before it ever got off the ground instead only aided the overwhelming success in terms of numbers who have witnessed the message.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 27-Mar-2004, 06:12 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Mar 27 2004, 05:59 AM)
What continually awes me is the amount of pre-release publicity movies usually release. Ads are everywhere.

Did The Passion advertise anywhere? Many say that the press played into Mel's diabolical schemes, doing his publicity for him. But to me it just shows that if God wants a message to be revealed it's gonna happen. And those who tried to vilify the film before it ever got off the ground instead only aided the overwhelming success in terms of numbers who have witnessed the message.

Elspeth,

I agree with you. Mel Gibson was in the middle of shooting The Passion of the Christ...when the attacks started. Just the mere mention of Jesus Christ in a literal sense sends the whooy flying. God indeed works in mysterious ways. I believe His hand was upon this project from the start, and everything that evolved was His perfect will. Just look at the title...it started out as "The Passion," but because Marimax films had already copyrighted the title for one of their upcoming movies, Mel had to change the movie title to "The Passion of the Christ!" God will get the glory for His ways are beyond finding out.

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 08-Apr-2004, 09:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I went to see "The Passion of The Christ" today at the local megaplex. I have to agree with my dad when he said he liked The Book better. It was good, but some of the gore could've been saved for the "Director's Cut" DVD.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
tsargent62 
Posted: 12-Apr-2004, 08:26 AM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

I finally went to see "The Passion of the Christ" last night. I walked to my car in stunned silence, then I broke down. I knew that Jesus died for us, I knew that He suffered. Being a visually oriented person, how badly He suffered was driven home for me. Knowing what little I know of Roman history, I believe that the scourging He endured and the cruelty with which He was treated was depicted accurately. For the Romans, compassion was considered a weakness, and I think that was also well depicted.

As many of you stated, I do not feel worthy of that kind of sacrifice. Would I have the strength and courage to go through what Jesus did? Not a chance. I sat through that "experience" not wishing to see what I was seeing, but not being able to look away; not wanting to look away.

Sure, there was a lot of blood, but we've all seen too many antiseptic treatments of this topic. I'm sure, 2000 years ago, when He was going through all that, he had to have been covered in blood. He would not have been accorded the chance to have been cleaned up and his wounds dressed.

I do feel closer to God and Jesus after seeing this film. However, I am deeply saddened. As much as I love Jesus and how many times I have thanked him for his sacrifice, I never really appreciated the magnitude of it. I'm still not sure why it was necessary, although I'm sure God had His reasons and Jesus accepted them.

Please forgive me for rambling on. This film affected me in a way I never expected and I'm still trying to sort it all out.

May our Heavenly Father bless you all.

Todd
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 12-Apr-2004, 11:39 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Todd, when I went to see The Passion of the Christ, afterwards, I could not speak for an hour! I was so choked up. Such a powerful film, eh? And I agree with you, no way would I have been able to endure what He did .............for lil ole me!
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 13-Apr-2004, 03:19 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

female

Todd, I don't find that you were rambling at all. You expressed your thoughts and heart's emotions beautifully.

If you want to understand why God required Jesus to sacrafice His life for ours go and read the book of Romans and the book of Hebrews; then go and read Isaiah 53 and Psalm 22 in the Bible. Pray before you read and ask God to reveal His truth to you. Remember Jesus said, "Knock and it shall be opened to you, seek and you shall find...You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free."

Peace,
Roisin angel_not.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Haldur 
Posted: 16-Apr-2004, 03:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

For one thing, I thought the Passion of the Christ was not scriptural in parts. For one, to answer everyone's questions, the scene where the proposed being of Satan holding the baby at Christ's flogging is not in the Bible;neither is the scene at the beginning where Christ stomped his foot down on the head of the serpent. These are all artistic "additives" that Mel obviously added in, which given they are powerful, but sadly are not scriptural.
The construction of Jesus' cross was also not scriptural and the crow pecking at the thief's eye was totally unnecessary, besides being...you guessed it, non-scriptural. For anyone that has at least skimmed through the Gospels (I have read them most of my life) "The Passion of the Christ" is not a historical or Biblical representation of the Truth of Christ's ultimate sacrifice. I hope to not ruffle anyone's feathers on this; read the Bible closely, analyze its every word and you'll see what I mean! I believe that someone could have done a better job (and may some day, hopefully!). I feel it was a great movie for movies' sake, but not a true Christian or scriptural rendering of the most important event in the history of the world.

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
Haldur 
Posted: 16-Apr-2004, 03:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

I want to add that this movie is very powerful for a movie...but one should not be lead astray by believing that everything within it is the Truth. Only the Bible and your heart can show that!
God bless.
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 16-Apr-2004, 09:23 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

female

Haldur, Your not ruffling any feathers. You have every right to your opinion and it is welcomed here.

Mel Gibson never proclaimed that the movie was a rendering of a word for word of the New Testament account of the Bible, but it was strongly based on the Four Gospel accounts of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. He has said many times this is his vision of what Christ went through "based" on the Four Gospel accounts and historical accounts of Roman crucifixions. I've studied at some length about Roman crucifixions and Gibson's rendition is very accurate. It is more than a movie it is an experience. It is the only one of its kind to portray Christ torture, crucifixion, and resurrection in an honest way. Mel Gibson has always proclaimed first and foremost that this movie is a piece of art then a spiritual expression second. Can it not be both? Can it not inspire, reveal, and point to the truth of Jesus Christ's sacrafice for the world? This movie is re-inactment of an expression of God's love to the world that took place over two thousand years ago. One thing that The Passion of the Christ (movie) did do is get people reading and wondering about the actual accounts written in the Bible of Christ's death and resurrection.

Jesus said, "If I be lifted up I will draw all men close to me." Mel Gibson did just that---He lifted Jesus up and used a vehicle of Hollywood to get Christ's message out..."For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16

Peace,
Roisin angel_not.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 16-Apr-2004, 01:37 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I happen to agree with both Roisin and Haldur! I thought the crow plucking the guy's eye out was gross and unnecessary. gosh! We saw more than enough brutality, but maybe I am a wimp. I still feel it was an awesome movie and could see that Mel Gibson's heart was in this movie like any other I have seen of his. You could see and feel that in the movie. I especially loved seeing the relationship between Jesus and his mother. Not too much is written in the Bible about that relationship and I was glad to see that in this movie. I am sure she went through such pain and torment seeing her son go through all this, despite knowing who he was. but I loved it that Mel chose to make His mother a big part of the film as well. Oh, I could go on and on.

Thank you Roisin for encouraging me to see this wonderful film! hug.gif
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 16-Apr-2004, 09:51 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

female

Hey, Rose that's what friends are for... to encourage clap.gif, comfort, care, hug.gif, and love oneanother wub.gif

I know we are only Cyber friends...but the word of God says, "There is no time or distance in the spirit," so we are as close as friends and sister's in Christ as if I were physically there. If you ever need me just drop me a line, and I'll come typing! laugh.gif wink.gif

Yours,
Roisin angel_not.gif
PMEmail Poster               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 17-Apr-2004, 07:22 AM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

QUOTE (Haldur @ Apr 16 2004, 04:52 AM)
I feel it was a great movie for movies' sake, but not a true Christian or scriptural rendering of the most important event in the history of the world.

Haldur,

Can anything that comes from Hollywood ever be accurate? My only thought is: If one person comes to Christ because of this Movie then wouldn't the inaccuracies and "artistic" liberties be worth putting up with?

Romans 8:28 (KJV)
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

MacE

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 17-Apr-2004, 06:42 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (MacEoghainn @ Apr 17 2004, 08:22 AM)
Haldur,

Can anything that comes from Hollywood ever be accurate? My only thought is: If one person comes to Christ because of this Movie then wouldn't the inaccuracies and "artistic" liberties be worth putting up with?

Romans 8:28 (KJV)
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

MacE

I agree wholeheartedly, MacE! If just one person comes to Christ because of this film, all the angels in heaven will have rejoiced and it would have all been worth it!

Roisin! thank you for being my friend and being there for me! hug.gif I'm just fingers away from you too, my pal! wink.gif smile.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]