Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Where Did It All Start., Blugrass music and it's roots.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 01-Jun-2004, 06:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

A co-worker introduced me to "Whiskey Lullaby", and I have fallen in love. The story is similar in many ways to that told in such places as "One Last Cold Kiss", "Anachie Gordon", The end of Shakesphere's "Romeo & Juliet", and several others, of one lover killing themselves on behalf of the other's death. Brad Paisley and Allison Krauss do a wonderful job with it, although I was just thinking on the way home from work... How would it sound played on Tin Whistle? I bet it would really be enchanting. I don't yet actually know any tunes for Whistle, but I wonder if I could learn this and try it....

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Raven 
Posted: 01-Jun-2004, 09:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

Shamrock

To answer your question about the instruments of Bluegrass and their origin.

The guitar and all of it's variations, (i.e. the resonator - the squareneck version being the variety found in Bluegrass music) is decidedly American and can be traced back to the mid 1800's

The banjo is originally from Africa and it is my understanding that it came by way of Ireland to the U.S. in it's tenor version. The modern bluegrass banjo with 5 strings and tone ring are an American invention.

The Mandolin is originally from Greece but the F-style that is common in bluegrass was designed and introduced by the Gibson Acoustic music company in the mid 1900's. I believe that Llyod Loar is credited with this design specifically.

The upright bass is the same bass used for centuries in classical music most commonly bowed in those styles.

The resonator guitar was invented again some time in the mid 1900's on standard round neck guitars simply in an attempt to make them louder.

Also the precursor to bluegrass from this country is most commonly known as old time music. It uses basically the same instruments but the style is typically less driving than the Monroe style bluegrass. I'm a Man of Constant Sorrow from the Oh Brother where Art Thou soundtrack would be a good example of this style.

I currently work for a Company that produces bluegrass instruments that oddly enough are named Morgan Monroe (no relation to Bill wink.gif ) So all of this information is from memory which is why I don't have exact dates (I can't remember tongue.gif )

Happy Trails - do you drive an 18 wheeler SC??

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
tsargent62 
Posted: 01-Jun-2004, 09:12 AM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

QUOTE (SCShamrock @ 31-May-2004, 11:46 AM)
OMG peckery, that was too funny!!! biggrin.gif

And Wizard, thanks for clipping that article for me, that helps a lot, and the info on the Celtic influence in Bluegrass is just what I thought it was. Never did I imagine that in the dark recesses of the Appalachian or Blue Ridge Mountains that Hill folk were into exploring other cultures to incorporate them into their flavor of music. I just knew without really knowing that Irish immigrants brought their style to the states with them and it evolved. Thanks again for sharing.

SC,

There is a lot of Scottish influence in bluegrass as well. Listen to the fiddles. Having heard a great deal of Scottish fiddling I can hear a great resemblance. We speak on this site of Celtic music in general terms, but as a musician myself, I can hear some differences between Irish and Scottish traditional music. Many people only think of bagpipes when they think of Scottish music, but there is so much more.

A cool style of music, I think, is Scottish dance band. I'm talking with the accordion as the main instrument with fiddles and a kit drummer. Very melodic. You might just hear some familiar rhythms.

--------------------

Cheers!
Todd

Normal is a relative term. For some reason it is not a term my relatives use to describe me.

PMEmail Poster               
gtrplr 
Posted: 01-Jun-2004, 09:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Nashville, TN

male

I currently work for a Company that produces bluegrass instruments that oddly enough are named Morgan Monroe (no relation to Bill  )

Raven, I think I recognize that name. Don't ya'll make mandolins?

--------------------
Randal Smith alias Smitty the Kid
Wielder of the Six-String Claymore!

"We have enough Youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"
"When the going gets tough, the smart go fishing!"

PMEmail Poster               
birddog20002001 
Posted: 01-Jun-2004, 09:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Isle of Man
ZodiacRowan

Realm: North Carolina

male

Here's a link that adds a little more dimension to the possibilities. Proposes that the terms, Hillbilly, Redneck and Cracker had Scots andScots/Ulster/Irish roots.

Redneck History

Since the hill folk kept other original ways in language, habits, etc, it follows that music may have also followed the same paths.

I have always heard the title redneck comes from two different sources, the first theory was that the field workers spent the day bent over working the crops and kept red burnt necks. The other theory was that the name is a derogatory term for southerners devooped durring the depression, because of malnutrition and mineral defencies some people devlop a disease (I can't recall the name at this time) that causes the neck to turn red.

Cracker was a title given to the cattle drovers that went to town every year cracking their whip over the cattle head.

--------------------
"when a person is prepared to die for a cause, and indeed to glory in such a death, it impossible to supress him or the cause it represents." Jawaharlal Nehru

"Only the suppressed word is dangerous." Ludwig Borne

"All of our freedoms are a single bundle, all must be secure if any is to be preserved." Dwight David Eisenhower

"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are both immortal and divine." Socrates
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 01-Jun-2004, 10:04 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (gtrplr @ 01-Jun-2004, 10:27 AM)

Raven, I think I recognize that name. Don't ya'll make mandolins?

Why Yes Randal we do, as well as banjos, guitars, resonators, fiddles and acoustic bass guitars.
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 01-Jun-2004, 02:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (birddog20002001 @ 01-Jun-2004, 10:59 AM)
Here's a link that adds a little more dimension to the possibilities. Proposes that the terms, Hillbilly, Redneck and Cracker had Scots andScots/Ulster/Irish roots.

Redneck History

Since the hill folk kept other original ways in language, habits, etc, it follows that music may have also followed the same paths.

I have always heard the title redneck comes from two different sources, the first theory was that the field workers spent the day bent over working the crops and kept red burnt necks. The other theory was that the name is a derogatory term for southerners devooped durring the depression, because of malnutrition and mineral defencies some people devlop a disease (I can't recall the name at this time) that causes the neck to turn red.

Cracker was a title given to the cattle drovers that went to town every year cracking their whip over the cattle head.

I'm only familiar with the first one of those myself....
Aaediwen 
Posted: 01-Jun-2004, 02:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (tsargent62 @ 01-Jun-2004, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (SCShamrock @ 31-May-2004, 11:46 AM)
OMG peckery, that was too funny!!! biggrin.gif

And Wizard, thanks for clipping that article for me, that helps a lot, and the info on the Celtic influence in Bluegrass is just what I thought it was.  Never did I imagine that in the dark recesses of the Appalachian or Blue Ridge Mountains that Hill folk were into exploring other cultures to incorporate them into their flavor of music.  I just knew without really knowing that Irish immigrants brought their style to the states with them and it evolved.  Thanks again for sharing.

SC,

There is a lot of Scottish influence in bluegrass as well. Listen to the fiddles. Having heard a great deal of Scottish fiddling I can hear a great resemblance. We speak on this site of Celtic music in general terms, but as a musician myself, I can hear some differences between Irish and Scottish traditional music. Many people only think of bagpipes when they think of Scottish music, but there is so much more.

A cool style of music, I think, is Scottish dance band. I'm talking with the accordion as the main instrument with fiddles and a kit drummer. Very melodic. You might just hear some familiar rhythms.

I know I certainly can tell a difference between these two, Irish and Scottish music are indeed quite different. As for some of the other locales, however; The folk rock is its own, but beyond that I think they emulate the others a bit much to really be destinguished... Personally...

I can tell if someone is following an Irish or Scottish tradition, but I have trouble telling you where they are actually from, be it the isles, The Americas, NZ, or somewhere else...
Haldur 
Posted: 01-Feb-2005, 08:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

So glad I stumbled upon this thread, as I was a wee bit close to posting something similar to this in Celtic Music, but decided against it before I checked all over!

I suggest everyone to watch "Songcatcher", an independent film that was created in the past few years starring Aidan Quinn and a truly all-star cast. Anyway, this film tracks the journey of a musicologist into the Southern Appalachian mountains...she stumbles upon the local music, which turns out to be directly descended from Scottish/English ballads. It's not only a terrific film but a wonderful reference to many beautiful ballads including "Lord Randall", "Barbara Allen", "The Two Sisters", and "Mattlry Groves". This was originally suggested to me by Aaediwen and I have to say it was worth the watch!

To beat it all, I went to the library to pick up some written works on these ballads and found two particularly helpful references: the first, 'Folk Songs of the Southern Appalachians' by Jean Ritchie; the second, 'The Ballad Book of John Jacob Niles'. What's very intriguing (to say the least) is that both books reference the same exact ballads but each show differing verions, sometimes within the same book!

Now about the likeness to bluegrass, I have no doubt! While bluegrass is a more modern form, bearing resemblances to and borrowing from these ballads (Ralph Stanley did a rendition of "Conversation with Death" entitled "Oh Death" on the 'Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?' soundtrack; "Conversation with Death was also referenced as one of the ballads in "Songcatcher") I have been delving deeper along the thread of the Scottish/Appalachian ballads connection. Besides, in my opinion, some bluegrass goes a bit too far with some of the artists' attention to a "nasal" sound. I mean, I'm from Eastern Kentucky (deep in the Appalachians in fact) and I don't find bluegrass very appealing just for that aspect alone. Don't get me wrong, I love all kinds of music, but I simply cannot bear to listen to certain artists within the bluegrass genre just for that reason.

Call me crazy...

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
Keltic 
Posted: 01-Feb-2005, 10:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

When I used to sell CDs on my website, we used to get complimentary CDs from the distributor which were relevant to what we generally carried. One of these CDs was "Songcatcher II" and is an often played CD in our household. It was the CD which led us to the movie which we really enjoyed. I looked over the first "Songcatcher" CD but wasn't overly interested in what it offered.

Excerpt from the foreword in the liner notes of "Songcatcher II":
Unfortunately for those fans (of the movie), most of the songs in the motion picture were never recorded in their entirety--actors only learned the portions of the songs that made it to the silver screen. Producers of the first Songcatcher CD decided to hand-pick contemporary artists and have them record updated versions of the old ballads. It made for great music, but it lacked the true feel of the songs represented in the movie.

I would like to offer Songcatcher II for music fans hungry for more "roots" music. The artists and, of course, these performances contained here are different than those in the movie, but the emotion and feel are exactly the same. This is authentic. This is beautiful. This is real.

Most of the recordings on this CD are around 40 years old. In addition, several of these tracks were pulled from Newport Folk Festival performances in the early '60s and thus exude a certain front-porch feel. Almost all of the songs have origins in England, Scotland and Ireland and were brought over by immigrants to the United States. Some of the songs are over 400 years old.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 02-Feb-2005, 11:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Definately sounds like something to look into. Are the songs the same versions on the second CD as they are in the movie?

I'd heard of the first one and had heard nothing good about it. Your description of the second one sounds promising smile.gif
Keltic 
Posted: 02-Feb-2005, 02:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

The "Songatcher" CDs are put out by Vanguard Records. You can read some of the liner notes and read about the artists on their site.

Songcatcher
Songcatcher II

There are clips of all of the songs from Songcatcher II plus a listing of artists with biographical notes.

PMEmail Poster               
Haldur 
Posted: 02-Feb-2005, 09:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Thank you for your help on this Keltic...in fact, I believe I scanned across Songcatcher and Songcatcher II in Barnes and Noble's music section a couple of weeks ago, after Aaediwen raised my interest in the movie. It seemed like Songcatcher II had more authentic songs and artists than the first one did. I know this because I remember looking at the first one and shaking my head.

And to beat it all, I started some research before I had even saw the movie...after I watched the movie, though, my mind was set on finding the versions of those ballads in some CD form. Thank you for your help Keltic! smile.gif
Keltic 
Posted: 02-Feb-2005, 10:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

You're welcome! Just glad that I could help.
PMEmail Poster               
Haldur 
Posted: 02-Feb-2005, 10:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Btw, for further reference, I'm going to post a thread on the Celtic Music forum regarding Appalachian/Scottish ballads and the research I have already started. It's gonna be fun and I'd love to get some input from you all once I post the thread...should be up before tomorrow night! smile.gif

Happy Songhunting!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]