Antwn 
Posted: 16-Sep-2009, 01:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

Although all music is world music, I use that term since its popular. I wanted to create a thread for anyone to share their favorite kind. Hope that's okay. Among other things, I like flamenco and this guy is a favorite singer along with Cameron de la Isla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3CFMzTPR6E

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
Ainwyn 
Posted: 28-Sep-2009, 12:22 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Michigan

female

I love all kinds of world music! Here's some of my favorite at the moment:

This is Kitka, an eastern European women's vocal ensemble in CA. The Bulgarian piece they sing is amazing!

Rustavi is a group I found while writing a paper on Georgian folk polyphony last year. The Georgians have an ancient musical tradition and have songs for everything! Probably some of my favorite music ever.

To stay on the polyphonic theme, there's also A Filetta, a group from Corsica.

Lithuanian chant is my newest find. Kulgrinda is probably the best group out there right now, at least that's easy to find outside of Lithuania.

Griots are part of a music tradition in north east Africa that is similar to the bard traditions. The string instrument that's being played is a kora.

The Rrom have a lot of different traditions depending on which group, one of those being the flamenco tradition you enjoy smile.gif My favorite group is Taraf de Haidouks, who are from Romania. The movie Latcho Drom is a beautiful look into the other dance and music traditions.

In Mongolia they have a couple of traditions that I'm interested in. One is the morin khuur, which I really want to learn. And the other is hoomii, which is a form of harmonic throat singing.

Lastly, in terms of music I've studied, at least a little bit of, there's HaegeumPlus, a group from Korea. Sadly, I'm not nearly as talented at the haegeum as this woman is - my fiancee says I sound like a dying cat when I play!

A lot of these have a fair amount of information about them on the BBC3 radio program, Wold Routes, which I can posts links to if there's an interest. There's a lot of other traditions that I'm interested in, but these are the ones I know most about and have a decent amount of information on. Um, also listen to Azam Ali and her group Niyaz if you like Middle Eastern and medieval European music. And I think that's enough >_>
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt