stoirmeil 
Posted: 14-Jan-2009, 07:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Stone of Scone:

This film is going to be lots of fun. It was released in the UK a few weeks ago, and will be showing here some time in the spring. It's about a heist in 1950 in which four Scottish university students went down to London to liberate the Stone of Scone and carry all 336 pounds of it back to Scotland, almost in one piece. Here's the hilarious trailer and a very nice article and interview with the guy who masterminded it -- now 83 years old.

http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=...=stoneofdestiny

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/37...lands-soul.html

Actually I wonder what people think about this. We had some talk about returning relics to their proper countries once recently, as I remember. Personally I think things should be where they belong culturally and historically,if the people want them there, no matter how much I love and respect museum collections. England has "returned" the stone on long-term loan, but they still want to use it for coronations, whenever one of those should arise, and if you read the history, you will see that the stone was placed in a kind of low shelf under the seat of the coronation chair to represent Scotland's subordination to the crown. That doesn't sit just right with me symbolically, if you will pardon the pun.
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 14-Jan-2009, 08:14 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

stoirmeil;

Only the English. They steal the Stone 700 years ago insult the Scots by sitting over it, lend it back to its' rightful owners with the condition that they get it back for coronations. I say tis time to rally the clans and make war upon the English usurpers. wink.gif rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

Camac.

flora 
Posted: 14-Jan-2009, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

I just read an article in the Renaissance Magazine Issue #64 that according to Mark Samuel who is an archaeologist and architectural historian the the Blarney Stone is reputed to be a piece of the Stone of Scone which was given to Irish King Cormac MacCarthy by Robert the Bruce. I do not known if the present day Blarney Stone is the original one. I can see where people would want to protect their heritage by substituting replicas, but can you know for sure where the real one is?

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 14-Jan-2009, 10:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (flora @ 14-Jan-2009, 11:10 AM)
I can see where people would want to protect their heritage by substituting replicas, but can you know for sure where the real one is?

Flora

Well, it's a good question: there is actually some dispute about this stone too, according to the articles I've looked at. Either way, there's something fascinating about the way some people will attach to a stone as purported housing for the old powers -- and something exasperating about the way other people will take somebody's stone of power and sit their keister on it. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
JACOBITE 
Posted: 23-Jan-2009, 10:01 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

I've seen one of the copies that was made in the 1950s.And I emphasise it was a copy not the real thing as it wasn't a very good copy.
The story I like to believe is that the good monks of Scone knew Edward was coming and hid the real stone and replaced it with a cludgie (or cess pit) lid and thats what was taken.
Edward never built the ornate chair that he had planned and he also sent soldiers back to Scone.So who knows maybe the Scottish monks had the last laugh.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticQueenCelticLord 
Posted: 03-Feb-2009, 10:16 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Los Lunas, NM, USA

female

Another take on the Stone of Scone was written by Michael Phillips.
"Legend of the Celtic Stone" and "Acient Strife"
Both very good

--------------------
When the day shall come, that we do part; if my last words are not 'I love you'--ye'll ken it was because I didna have time. (Fiery Cross Quotes)
Also a Diana Gabaldon, Jamie Frazier lover
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]