Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Earthquake In Chile, Any lessons that can be learned?
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 27-Feb-2010, 06:00 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rėgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

The earthquake in Chile, an 8.8 on the Richter magnitude scale, which is 500 to a 1000 times stronger than the 7.0 that struck Haiti (the multiplication factor is different because it depends on which expert the press was interviewing at the time unsure.gif ). While there are other factors that affected the damage and lost of life in each country I think there are also some political and economic factors that also should be considered.

It is being reported that President Obama called President Bachelet of Chile and offered Chile assistance. She said thank you, we'll get back to you if we need anything.

Differences between Chile and Haiti

References:
Wikipedia: Chile
Chile from The World Fact Book @ CIA.gov

Wikipedia: Haiti
Haiti from The World Fact Book @ CIA.gov

Government

Chile: competent (at times some would say too competent), properly funded, and prepared. Building codes and inspections that are required and enforced due to the seismic history of the region.

Haiti: incompetent, corrupt, and any funding bled off into the pockets of corrupt officials and politicians. Building codes and inspections either non-existent or can be bypassed with a few bribes to the right official(s).

Economic

Chile: A dedicated and motivated people with a thriving middleclass.

Haiti: 80% of the population living under the poverty line and 54% in abject poverty

I would suggest that poverty and corrupt government are two of the major factors contributing to the number of deaths and injuries in any natural disasters. For closer to home example look at the difference between the State and Local government responses of Mississippi and Louisiana during Hurricane Katrina. Mississippi took the direct brunt of the storm, New Orleans and Louisiana had lesser effects yet it has received the most attention from the Press, the "goody two shoes" and the Federal government. Why is this happening/required? Because of poverty and corrupt/incompetent local and state government (a lot of the poverty is because of corrupt/incompetent local and state government).

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
Jillian 
Posted: 28-Feb-2010, 08:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Pennsylvania

female

Agreed. And because of that corrupt govt, Haitian people suffered massively and Chilean people weathered the natural disaster as well as can be expected. I hope for the Haitians to find that "Chilean" independence and fight for their country.

I love the fact that the President of Chile basically said, "thanks but we got it"....

Jillian

--------------------

"Disappointments are inevitable. Discouragement is a choice."
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 07-Mar-2010, 04:46 AM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rėgh
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Billions for Haiti, a criticism for every dollar

A case of "too many chiefs and not enough indians"? unsure.gif
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 07-Mar-2010, 08:40 AM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rėgh
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

CONCEPCION, Chile (AP) — Most Chileans are unhappy with their government's response to the catastrophic earthquake and squarely blame President Michelle Bachelet for shortcomings, according to a poll published Sunday. But some veteran aid experts are impressed by how quickly Chile has mounted a huge disaster-recovery effort.

Weeks, who leads a volunteer response team that organizes airport aid deliveries in major disasters worldwide, believes Chile has managed to avoid the bureaucracy and squabbling that often delays aid deliveries — for example by quickly patching up the critical north-south highway to keep aid flowing.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

Š Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]