> Diana Gabaldon Fans
CelticRoz 
Posted: 05-Feb-2005, 08:25 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Good news I just heard! For those of you who have read the Outlander series and am anxiously awaiting the new book about Jaime and Claire, titled A Breath of Snow and Ashes, I understand it will be released September 27! Too bad we have to wait so long, but it will be worth the wait I am sure. Just had to share! smile.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
gwenlee 
Posted: 06-Feb-2005, 11:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

I glad to here that there is a release date. I just hate it is so far away. Oh well good things come to those who wait. Thanks for the up date.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 06-Feb-2005, 12:52 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Well I should have mentioned that that was according to Amazon.com. It has not been mentioned on her official website yet, so the date could change..........hopefully to sooner. I heard that someone was going to the Fergus Highland games in August, which is in Canada, I believe. And they said it was announced on the Fergus Highland site that DG would be signing her new book there.
Rindy 
Posted: 06-Feb-2005, 03:42 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

OOOOO- guess that means I best hurry and get the other ones read. Now this John Grey is not the same series right? I wonder if the other book will be as thick.. I sure enjoyed the first one. Thanks to you Rose..

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 06-Feb-2005, 06:15 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I am so glad you enjoyed Outlander so much, Rindy! How is Dragonfly in Amber coming along? You will learn about Lord John Grey in the Outlander series. He is one of the characters in there. So Diana decided to write a book alone about him. So it is kind of a side book. I understand she has written two and working on a third about John Grey.
gwenlee 
Posted: 07-Feb-2005, 08:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

female

I went to DG's official site and didn't see a release date. I'm just glad the next book will be out soon.

rindy don't rush through the books because you might miss something. I would suggest getting the Outlandish Companion. My 14 year old has read that book and she is really bugging me to let her read the series. I was going to then I didn't. She has already formed her opions on the characters. Of course jamie is at the top of the list, and she thinks Brianna is in some ways an airhead. She said if she was Brianna she would love the idea that her mother had gone to the past and met Jamie. She said she wouldn't have been angry at her mother and she would have said I'm going back and I'm outta of here.

It funny of the girls in my family my youngest daughter, my sister and me love the idea of time travel and the imagined possibilities. Everyone else thinks we are crazy.

Have fun reading everyone. I gotta go!
CelticRoz 
Posted: 07-Feb-2005, 01:56 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Gwenlee, that is so neat about your daughter! Thanks for sharing.

I don't know if I ever mentioned this but I am part of the Arizona chapter of Ladies of Lallybroch. Herself (Diana Gabaldon) as she is often called for those who don't know, is supposed to be at our Highland Games the end of this month. We are still working on finding out for sure if she will indeed be there and if so, we are hoping she will go to lunch with us as she has done so in the past. Whether she can or cannot, we will at least be able to get books signed and ask Herself the real release date of her new book! But like I said, we are still working on finding out if she will be at the Highland games this year at all first. Will keep you all posted.
Rindy 
Posted: 07-Feb-2005, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Gwenlee, ok, don't worry I will pay attention to every detail. I am going to have to check out her website. Thanks for the info.

Hey there Rose, did you meet her before? I can't remember if you said you did or not. If so what is she like?

well this is a good day to read!

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 07-Feb-2005, 02:41 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Yes, Rindy! I have had the pleasure of meeting Diana before. She lives an hour from me so that helps. I met her last year at the Highland Games and she signed a couple of my books. She is a very attractive lady, very well dressed and as nice and approachable as can be. What caught my eye was her gold Celtic wedding band she was wearing. Really beautiful. Funny, I was wearing my silver Celtic cross that a friend of mine from Ireland gave to me and she kept looking at it! LOL
When she signs your books, she always personalizes them and puts some Gaelic saying in there too as an added touch.

I recently heard an interview given by her that was on the internet. I will see if I can find that link for here. I found out that all this time I was pronouncing her name wrong! LOL It is pronounced GALbaldon as in gal for girl.
Rindy 
Posted: 07-Feb-2005, 04:54 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Celticrose,

I thought you had met her but I didn't know for sure. It is hard to say her name even if you know how. That it so neat you had her sign your books. She looks pretty in the back of the Outlander book. She is a very talented woman.

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
gwenlee 
Posted: 08-Feb-2005, 08:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

female

CelticRose do they have a chapter of the Ladies of Lallybroch in other places, such as the southeast? That sounds pretty interesting. I have to say reading her books was what got me interested in researching my own family. We know from oral history a lot of my family came to the colonies around 1750 after "the war" was the way some folk put it, and they had immigrated from Scotland. Anyway the books got me interested in that part of history and now I'm hooked. I've always been interested in history and she has done a great job of blending history with fiction. I've since read varies books and articles about history in Scotland and American Colonial history. I knew a lot of American history after 1800 but had not focused so much on history before 1800. I knew the basic history of pre-revolutionary war and post revolutionary war. And being the kind of person I am I just had to verify her historical accounts. I know for awhile after reading the Outlander series I found it hard to get into other books of fiction, because the characters didn't seem real.

With all of this said I'm hoping she will put out a schedule and come to Georgia sometime. You are so lucky to have met DG.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 08-Feb-2005, 04:35 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi Gwenlee! I don't know if they do or not. I am sure they do cause people on the Ladies of Lallybroch site write from all over the world! You can go into the site and ask though. here is the link to the site.

http://www.lallybroch.com/

I hear what you say, Gwen, in the fact that these books also got me to studying my ancestry and American history as well. I also became fascinated with Scottish history and culture and joined different sites to learn as much as I could. I am still weak on the American History, but learning as I am going along. I love history!

Have you read Sara Donati's books? The Into The Wilderness series? They are very similar to DG's books and is more into American history than Diana's books. You might want to read them as I keep hearing just how wonderful they are. The books are:

1. Into The Wilderness
2. Dawn on the Distant Shore
3. Lake in the Clouds
4. Fire Along the Sky.

For more Scottish history and an author who is pretty accurate and a good read are books by Barbara Erskine.

Marsha Canham does a lot with the story of Culloden.

BTW, I heard today that Diana is not quite finished with ABOSA yet. Someone from CompuServe posted the Amazon.com release date and Diana came on and said that the release date sounded about right as she still had some "holes" to fill in and some other writing to do in the book first and all that should be done in time for the release date.

Youl live in GA? I lived there for 14 years in the Mableton area. All my family are from there and my ancestry starts in NC and then all relocated to GA.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 08-Feb-2005, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh, here is the audio interview I told you about with Diana Gabaldon. Enjoy!

http://www.eyeonbooks.com/ibp.php?ISBN=0385337477
gwenlee 
Posted: 09-Feb-2005, 07:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi celticrose Thanks for the info. I'll check them out this weekend when I'm off.

I haven't read Sara donati's books, but I will. Like I said I like a good historicl novel.

BTW I know where Mabelton is. I live in the Rome GA area in the NorthWest GA mountains on 5 acres. I love this area it is rich with history, ie Civil War, and Native American.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 09-Feb-2005, 02:10 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Gwenlee! I know exactly where Rome, GA is. Been there many times. I used to be on the powwow circuit traveling with the Native American people showing my artwork at various Native American festivals and powwows. I think I did a powwow there once, even. It is beautiful country and I miss my family and friends from there. Haven't been back since I moved here to Arizona about 6 years ago. You'll like Sara Donati's books then. There is a bit of Scottish history as well as Native American culture in there too. There is even mention of wee Ian from the Outlander series in there. I have not read the books myself.......yet.........but I have them ready to read after I finish with the current set I am reading.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]