Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> So What Is The Tooth Fairy Going For These Days?
flora 
Posted: 28-Jul-2009, 07:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

This summer our grandson just happen to lose his first tooth at our home with his mom being away.

Time got away from me that day and I didn't think about it until very late at night after he had gone to sleep. Well the tooth fairy left him a note expounding on his very fine tooth and a reminder to take care of the others and a ten dollar bill. It was the only thing I had!!!!!

Of course when he woke up and realized this could be a lucrative business and was counting how many teeth he had, I felt bad. My daughter grumbled that she only got dollar bills.

I'm not the only one because on the Regis and Kelly show, Kelly was saying that her husband had to leave a $20.00 but their friend's child got even more than that.

My question is - does your family still practice this old tradition? And just how much should be left under the pillow?

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 28-Jul-2009, 07:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

My grandchildren get a dollar. I believe that is what I gave my children too. There appears to be no inflation there!!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 28-Jul-2009, 08:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I do not remember what if anything I got for my teeth but my younger siblings got a nickle and moved up to a dime. That would have been in the 1950's. My teeth would have come out in the 40's and though I was never hungry nor did I feel deprived, I do not think we had much money. Times for the entire family (grandparents, uncles/aunts) were still too close to the depression and people for the most part did not spend a lot.

Times certainly change!

Slàinte,   

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
englishmix 
Posted: 28-Jul-2009, 09:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: My place

Ah, just have the young'ns watch the horror movie called the "Tooth Fairy" and they won't want ta be getting anything! Trust me.

But if you don't, how about giving them a gift card? Or if you must stick to coins, why not give them a foreign coin - might get a good hobby going down the road.
PMEmail Poster                
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 29-Jul-2009, 12:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
41,629 Gold!

I think I got a nickel per tooth. In a related matter, I got 25 cents every Sunday morning for allowance and was expected to put all of it in the collection plate at church.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 29-Jul-2009, 04:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

That was a bit harsh! At least you got to "hold" the quarter for a while though. My allowance was a quarter too and for that I mowed the lawn in the summer, shoveled snow in the winter and fed and watered our milk cow in every evening.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
englishmix 
Posted: 29-Jul-2009, 04:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: My place

CarolinaScotsman,

So has the experience turned your life cold to the LORD and His church? Often people with bad childhood experiences can't overcome the effects. Okay, its a bit personnal - but wondering...

The law and discipline have its place, but the Gospel is the end of the law. Giving to the Lord and charitable giving should always be by free motivation - although one needs to be instructed and shown what is right and good.
PMEmail Poster                
Senara 
Posted: 31-Jul-2009, 09:57 AM
Quote Post

Musican/Ruler of the Dells/Warrior
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Caer Portshire, Mist Hollow

female

My folks never gave us more than $.50 for a tooth...and this would be in the early 80's... Guess it's just whatever the toothfairy can afford...
btw..no allowance for us. We were expected to do our chores with no reward. If we wanted spending money we got to work a job outside the house like picking cherries or strawberries, or baling hay for neighboring farms.

--------------------
Senara-ism : Life is like a theatrical production only you get to be actor, director, and audience all at once. So break a leg, sit back and enjoy the show!

"When the waves are high and the light is dying, raise a glass and think of me..." -Gaelic Storm

Cha chòir dòrn a thoirt an aghaidh pòig.
A kiss ought not to be met with a fist.

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

"I am a crazy, rabid squirrel! I want my cookies!" Hammy-Over the Hedge
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 31-Jul-2009, 05:49 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Ah-HA So there is a toothfairy I knew it!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Never got more than 50¢ myself...was worth twistin laugh.gif ewww!!! sick I know but just a wee twist and it would come out..or..NOT! I used to have a little fair wooden box ya put your tooth in and the two quarter would be right ther un the pillow. Boy now with enflation $5 buck won't by them much.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 31-Jul-2009, 10:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

My daughter maintains a hectic pace and twice she forgot. She got her daughter to believe that "so many kids lost teeth that day that the tooth fairy was unable to get to all of them in one night." The second time, the same but my grand daughter told me later, I think Mom is the tooth fairy." A couple of years later, she found the little box with the teeth in it and the "game" was over.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 01-Aug-2009, 11:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
41,629 Gold!

QUOTE (englishmix @ 29-Jul-2009, 06:48 PM)
CarolinaScotsman,

So has the experience turned your life cold to the LORD and His church? Often people with bad childhood experiences can't overcome the effects. Okay, its a bit personnal - but wondering...

The law and discipline have its place, but the Gospel is the end of the law. Giving to the Lord and charitable giving should always be by free motivation - although one needs to be instructed and shown what is right and good.

Oh, I didn't mention the best part.
1. My Dad paid my allowance.
2. My Dad was the minister.
3. The church paid my Dad.
4. The church got it's money from the collection plate.
5. I was recycling the same quarter every week. wink.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 01-Aug-2009, 11:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

That would make a youngster a bit bitter.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 07-Aug-2009, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

The neighbor lady, who is near my age said she got a quarter and the little girl who lives next to her gets two dollars now. The little girl was curious about the work being done and the neighbor noticed she was missing two teeth.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 31-Aug-2009, 08:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

I knew my grandson was awfully quite late last evening then I found out why. Another tooth was loose and he worked it out. Again it was late and I wasn't going to make a trip to the ATM machine.

Sooooo, the Tooth Fairy left a note asking what happen and that the tooth was off schedule and this was messing up the program. She'll be back tomorrow night when the tooth was scheduled to come out.

It was either that or the Cash for Teeth program was behind in paperwork and he would receive the rebate soon.

Luckily he bought into the first one. biggrin.gif

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 08-Sep-2009, 11:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

I used to get 50 cents in the form of a half dollar coin. I thought those were rare, so I saved them all. I still have them in my old coffee can wrapped up in a roll. Now, I give my kids "gold" dollars (Sacagawea's). Since they view them as "rare", they also save them, rather than spend them. cool.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]