Posted: 25-Mar-2007, 08:57 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

This topic has become of interest to me rather suddenly. After a week of my chesapeake Bay Retriever (The Dump) sleeping fitfully and being a bit agitated at night, we took her to the vet. After some tests and chest x-ray, it turns out that our 10 year old companion has congestive heart failure. We are providing what treatment and diet changes the vet recommended, but the fact is that she is dying.
It may be weeks or months, but we are clearly faces with her mortality. We will, of course chant for her to be strong and active as long as she can, but we must also plan for her passing. The Dump is highly trained and a wonderful companion for my wife. She is a Companion Dog as well as a beloved member of the family. We will certainly replace her with another Chessy, a pup at 7 weeks, for maximum training potential. I will be a while dealing with the loss of my 4 legged love after she leaves. In the meantime, I plan to love her and spoil her terribly.

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Swanny 
Posted: 25-Mar-2007, 10:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

I truly sorry for you loss, Maisky. The best we can do is make them as comfortable and possible, and let them know that they are loved, admired and respected.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 25-Mar-2007, 11:25 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

Thanks for your words of support, Swanny. I am interested if any other Pet Slaves have thoughts on this topic.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 25-Mar-2007, 12:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

When Pickles was showing his age, we were afraid to take him to the vet. Afraid that they would want to put him down. We did our best to make life as easy and as comfortable as we could for him during his final months. He hung with us for several months like that. We all knew he would go soon, but it was still hard when he did go. I will never forget cradling him in my arms, and waiting for my sister to arrive. I miss him so!

Maisky, it's not unlike losing a family member or close friend. There will be others to come in and out of your life, but there will always be that void that the memories can't quite fill. Cherish the time you have left together, and remember that your four legged companion will still be there to comfort you for years after their passing from this world. Pickles still provides comfort to me, and it's been something like at least 8 years since he passed.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Mountain Legacy -- Born in the isles, raised in Appalachia
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 25-Mar-2007, 10:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

Oh my brother -- I am so sorry about Dumpling!! She is such a character (not unlike her dad). I've had to lose my very bestest buddies over the years and it is always so dang hard. You can't lose your babies without having a hole appear in your soul. Don't know how I'll cope when Mathilda's time arrives. It has never seen fair that our dearest friends have such short lives - but then that gives us a chance to love another friend so very much. Keep me posted on Dumpling - I'll be praying and chanting for you, your owner, and Dump!!!

--------------------
JaneyMae

Tangle Goblinwitch: She is only seen in the enchanted moment between sleep and waking

"Never miss a chance to shut up." Will Rogers

Leprechauns, castles, good luck and laughter.
Lullabies, dreams and love ever after.
A thousand welcomes when anyone comes...
That's the Irish for You!
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
stoirmeil 
Posted: 26-Mar-2007, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

This is sad, Maisky, and my heart goes out to you. By all means love her and spoil her and keep her comfortable and free of pain. But what I've seen with old pets I've had that are starting to fade, is that as long as they are comfortable, they don't have any fear of folding themselves back into the natural plan, so they're free to soak up as much love and comfort from their human companions as we can give, with simple dignity.

I wish you and The Dump both a quiet and easy time of it, when she finally decides she has to go. I think Aaediwen's right too -- she will be leaving something fine and generous of herself to stay with you.
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 26-Mar-2007, 01:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

I am so sorry Maisky. We are in the same boat except x3. All of our Labs are 16 yrs. old. Sadie wasn't feeling well this weekend but she bounced back today. We go day by day and have been for the last several years. Cody only has 3 legs and his back leg is slowly getting weaker. Max has cancer but he still eats good and still gets frisky occasionally. They are our children and it really gets hard sometimes. Our thoughts our with you and yours.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Dogshirt 
Posted: 26-Mar-2007, 11:03 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Northern Plains
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

We just had 4 of our old timers put down today. After 30+ years of raising sled dogs, and after nearly 250 dogs in that time, it NEVER gets any easier. I just have to go out and spend a last time with them, and know that it is for the best. But I still have a hard time every time it is someone else's time. Most of our dogs we have raised from pups and have had for 10- 14 years.
My sympathy as you deal with this!

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
mydogisaleprechaun 
Posted: 29-Mar-2007, 02:53 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacHolly

Realm: sunny southern california!

female

My cat Smokee (i know, very origional for a grey tortoise shell!) She was the most finiky cat...i got her when i was 7 from a shelter, she was a feisty little bitch! i've lost track of how many scars she's blessed me with. Well, Smokee and I were the best of friends, and i loved the fact that she hated my sister more than I...we were adversaries scheming and plotting togather!I had her for about 12 years, and we were still best friends...she slept on my bed every night and lidtened to all of my sports stories and boy stories all thoughout middle school and jr high!(the poor thing!) She began to get very skinny, and very lethargic; so i took her to the vet. They ran some tests and things and she had cancer. For blood tests and 2 nights in the animal hospital the bill was already 3500 dollars. It was very hard to put a price on my best friends life...especially when this would just double every day...not including treatment for the cancer. The vet told me that she wouldn't live too much longer, treatment or not she would only give have another month or so...maybe.We took her home to think about it...watching my cat die was a horrible thought. her entire life she was very active and always running around with me. to watch her lay in one spot all day without really being able to muster up any energy to move, i thought it best to just euthanize her humanely than let her sit in agony and simply wait for death for a month or so. I miss her! My sister gave me her cats kitten (her cat only had one baby, wierd i know!) and she reminds me of Smokee. She's very quirky and odd, and she hates being pet...much like smokee. I'm the only one that she lets pet her; and thats for a shot alotted amount of time whenever she cant quite scratch her own itch very well!
Sorry for your losses, i know it's hard!
maisky 
Posted: 03-Apr-2007, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

It is all over. We put her to rest about an hour ago. The Dump is resting, preparing for her next visit. In her honor I am naming my new bass boat "Dumpy". We are making plans for the new puppy. Thank you all for your thoughts and concerns.
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 03-Apr-2007, 07:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #2
2,147,483,647 Gold!

My condolences. I've often thought that those four legged critters who have the patience and love in their hearts to be our friends and put up with us will have a very special place of honor when we all get to where we're going.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
valpal59 
Posted: 04-Apr-2007, 09:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

I am so sorry Maisky. My heart is breaking for you. Our thoughts are with you and we wish you good luck with the new pup.
JaneyMae 
Posted: 04-Apr-2007, 09:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

Oh my brother, I am sorry you had to go through this with Dumpling. She was an awesome girl = after all, she loved her Aunt Janey biggrin.gif I know that having a new puppy will be a challenge but maybe that's what you need with the new house. You, your owner, and Dumpling remain in my prayers and chants.
maisky 
Posted: 05-Apr-2007, 08:11 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

Initial grieving is over, plans afoot for new puppy. Now I turn my attention to the cause of The Dumps death. Poisoned dog food. I am in touch with the company (Purina) and have opened discussions with Purnia and with the FDA. I burns me that the major companys will buy Chinese Gluten in order to save a tenth of a cent per can, without going through proper quality procedures when dealing with a new supplier. I have my docking knife out and sharpened. I am a Pharma Quality professional and know which buttons to push.
valpal59 
Posted: 05-Apr-2007, 09:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

Go get em Maisky!!!
Could I ask what kind of Purina dog food? I am still feeding mine the Purina Senior Dry. I quit feeding them canned with their dry about 8 months ago. It was giving them the diarrhea.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt