LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 22-Jul-2008, 06:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacVine

female

Not everyone, unfortunately, had the chance to get to know their grand folks in their childhood. But the role of grand parents are the most important ones in a family circle. They are the ones with the wisdom and most of the time with patience.
All the kids look up at their grand parents with awe and respect. I know I did. Especially my mother's mother. She was for me the greatest grandmother because she would accept me for who I was not judging me for where I came from. For her, I was the chosen one and she repeated it to me constantly. She wanted me to accept myself as I was. For her there was no difference between my brothers and sisters and myself,what she would give to them she would give to me.
And I loved her very much for it. Because even though you're small doesn't mean that you don't understand certain adult meanings especially the discreet ones. And since I was adopted,I'm sad to say that some in my family had prejudice towards me in my childhood.

Grandparents are the row models for kids. They listen to them and respect them,why is that? I think it is because of their experience in life and patience.
They are the ones who listens when you cry and seem to understand your pains.
Why is that?

Today, in our world is the role of grandparents the same? I wonder with so many broken families and/or reconstructed families some don't even get to see their grandchildren and it is a great loss, I think. Kids need their grandparents.

What are your thoughts or what is it that you remember of them?
Or again if you have kids what kind of relationship your kids share with their grandparents?

I share with you a rare picture of my beloved grand maman!

LOA

Attached Image. Works with IE only! (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted: 23-Jul-2008, 09:34 PM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

Three out of my four grandparents either died before I was born or before I had any memories of them. But my mother's mother was all the grandparent I could have asked for. She raised my sister, my brothers and I as much if not more then my own mother. Not having a father figure, she became my father, my second mother (one I got along with more most of the time), my grandmother and grandfather all in one. She was an amazing woman having raised ten of her own children plus a few who had no families. In the end she had over sixty grandchildren, lots of great-grandchildren, and even a few great-great grandchildren. I lived with her most of my life and have been more influenced by her then anyone else. She passed away this last September and it has been the hardest thing I've had to deal with.

But to me grandparents can be just as important in your life as your parents, sometimes even more.

--------------------
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you judge people you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa

Help Out

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 24-Jul-2008, 06:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (emerald-eyedwanderer @ 23-Jul-2008, 10:34 PM)
But to me grandparents can be just as important in your life as your parents, sometimes even more.[/color]

As a matter of fact, they are very important in one's life and yes sometimes even more then parents.

Especially in our deranged world today grand parents are the ones that tips the scale even in one's life. Grand parents are the best listeners in the world, they know how to ease one's sorrow and at the same time give one's great joy by just smiling in the face of life. Like your grandmother did, I'm sure to have raised so many children, one must have.

That's a nice story about the love and respect you felt for your grand mother, emerald-eyedwanderer.

Thanks
PM My Photo Album               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 24-Jul-2008, 07:05 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Northern Plains
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

Grandpa's job is to spoil her rotten, give her candy and send her back home! tongue.gif
My Dad always said being a grandparent is revenge for being a parent! wink.gif

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 24-Jul-2008, 07:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Dogshirt @ 24-Jul-2008, 08:05 PM)
Grandpa's job is to spoil her rotten, give her candy and send her back home! tongue.gif
My Dad always said being a grandparent is revenge for being a parent! wink.gif

beer_mug.gif

Here!Here! I think you're Dad is sooo right yes.gif

LOA
PM My Photo Album               
Camac
Posted: 24-Jul-2008, 07:19 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

LOA;

My Dad said he loved his grand kids because they kept him young. My Mom said that she loved them alsobut was so glad when we took them home.

Camac.

PS. It is a Grandparents inalienable right under the laws of parenting to spoil their grandchildren.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 24-Jul-2008, 07:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Camac @ 24-Jul-2008, 08:19 PM)
LOA;

My Dad said he loved his grand kids because they kept him young. My Mom said that she loved them also but was so glad when we took them home.

Camac.

PS.  It is a Grandparents inalienable right under the laws of parenting to spoil their grandchildren.

And what about you Camac ? What about your grand parents? I'm sure you must have some memories of them a little bit.

Are you a grandfather yet? If so, so you spoil your grandkids rotten and return them back home to their parents? twisted.gif

LOA
PM My Photo Album               
Camac
Posted: 24-Jul-2008, 08:01 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (Lady of Avalon @ 24-Jul-2008, 07:47 PM)
QUOTE (Camac @ 24-Jul-2008, 08:19 PM)
LOA;

My Dad said he loved his grand kids because they kept him young. My Mom said that she loved them also but was so glad when we took them home.

Camac.

PS.† It is a Grandparents inalienable right under the laws of parenting to spoil their grandchildren.

And what about you Camac ? What about your grand parents? I'm sure you must have some memories of them a little bit.

Are you a grandfather yet? If so, so you spoil your grandkids rotten and return them back home to their parents? twisted.gif

LOA

My Lady;

Alas no I am not a grandfather yet nor do I expect to be one in the near future.
As to my grandparents. The only one I have memories of is my Maternal Grandmother Annie Lee (Nanny). My maternal grandfather abandon his family in 1929 left Scotland and went to New York City. Met him once, Didn't like him.As to my Paternal grandparents. My paternal grandmother died in 1931 11 years before I was born and my paternal grandfather saw me once when I was 20 months old. He came to try and take me away from my Mother because he couldn't stand the thought that his grandson would be raised Catholic. I have seen a photo of my Paternal grandmother she looked like she was a nice kind lady. I would have loved to have known her.

Camac.

MDF3530 
Posted: 27-Jul-2008, 07:58 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I think it's great that my nieces and nephew have been able to have both sets of grandparents. The only grandparent my sister and I had growing up was our maternal grandmother. My mom's father died of black lung disease (yes, he was a coal miner) when my mom was in high school. We were little kids when my dad's parents died.

Sometimes I wish I could've seen my Grandma Biros one more time, as well as met Grandpa Biros and known Grandma & Grandpa Fangman better.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Camac
Posted: 27-Jul-2008, 08:45 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ 27-Jul-2008, 07:58 PM)
I think it's great that my nieces and nephew have been able to have both sets of grandparents. The only grandparent my sister and I had growing up was our maternal grandmother. My mom's father died of black lung disease (yes, he was a coal miner) when my mom was in high school. We were little kids when my dad's parents died.

Sometimes I wish I could've seen my Grandma Biros one more time, as well as met Grandpa Biros and known Grandma & Grandpa Fangman better.

MDF3530;

I know how you feel about your grandparents. My two daughter were fortunate that they grew up with their grandparents around. Just mine that is as their Mothers parents had passed away a year after my oldest was born. My oldest was 18 and the youngest was 13 when their Grandma passed away and 24 and 19 when their Grandda passed on so as I said they were around them for a good many years.

Camac.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 04-Aug-2008, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

Though I knew my grandmothers on both sides,unfortunately I don't have any memory of my grandfathers whom were both alive when I was very young.

My grandfather on my mother's side was very sick and he passed away I was about 3 years old or so. My mom always told me that before his death he was relaxing on a long chair in the backyard at his house and at that time my parents were living on the second floor of his house.
And while he was lounging on his chair I was playing in the sand box bringing him buckets of sand as a gift and dump my load on his legs. unsure.gif
My mom would come out to clean after me and chastise me and he would tell her to let me play with him because he liked to hear my baby's laugh.
Then,my mom told me,he made her promise to never ever chastise or beat me or neglect me because I was a treasure for him. He died not long after that statement to her.
She explained to me that her Dad was an orphan brought up by the nuns and beaten often in his young life and he ran away from them and lived on the streets until he was old enough to earn his own money.That was the reason behind what he made my mom promised to never treat me the way he was because of who he was, an orphan.
I wish that wherever he is that even though I don't remember his face or voice I will always be grateful for his gentleness.
Because even though he had been a hobo part of his young life he never turned out to be a crook or bad,instead he worked where he could and actually he was a taxi driver most of his adult life.
The only souvenir I have of him is his taxi permit, to me this little piece of paper have no amount of money on it. It's worth much much more then money.

LOA
PM My Photo Album               
mainopsman 
Posted: 04-Aug-2008, 07:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Dundalk, Maryland

male

I was blessed to have known all four of my grandparents, and one great grandmother. I learned so much from them. The meaning of a fare days work for your pay, respect, kindness, the quest for knowledge, my love for my church, my home improvement skills, and so many other things it would take pages to list them all.

Today, I am again blessed, by having four children, ten grand children, and a very lovely great granddaughter, who turned three today. I try to instill the same things that I was taught by my grandparents in them. Yes, they do keep you young. I enjoy talking to them and showing them how to do things, and yes they teach me a few things too. My youngest granddaughters are my fishing partners, and they outfish me every time.

Grandchildren are Godís gift not only to their parents, but to grandparents too. In their eyes we have a window on the future. That future is our responsibility too. Letís make a great one for them.

JIM

--------------------
Dedicate some of your life to others. Your dedication will not be a sacrifice. It will be an exhilarating experience because it is intense effort applied toward a meaningful end. Dr. Thomas Dooley
PMEmail Poster               
Harlot 
Posted: 04-Aug-2008, 07:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

I feel my job as a grandparent is to tell my grandkids stories of my parents. My grandson was only a few months old when my father passed and I tell him about him how he loved his model cars which he has now and knows that they are very special and we don't play with them. He has in his room a picture of my dad holding him and the look of such love in my Dad's eyes well it makes me cry ,because he couldn't wait till Drew was born.My granddaughter Sarah has a picture of my Mom holding her when she was 1 year old and she has Mom's snow.gobles as thats what she liked. If you were to ask them they could tell all kinds of stories about them.

As for me both my grandfather's died before I was born but have been told stories about the both. My mother's mother died when I was 3 but I can remember going to the farm and pounding on the piano ,lots of cats,and someone taking me to the barn to see the hores. Years later i found out that she passed away on my 3rd. brithday. My father mother she loved to sew and she made me dresses, which I still have, and dolls one of which has been passed down from My daughter to her daughter. I remember one christmas she made me one that could wear my clothes.

But the best part is the kisses and hugs I get from Sarah when I leave with Drew I get a hand shake he's not much on hugs and kisses.

--------------------
user posted image
Hopes are towers in the skies Dreams are wings taking flight

The Boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best Shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and the other begins

Photobucket

SLAINTE
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
mainopsman 
Posted: 04-Aug-2008, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Dundalk, Maryland

male

Wow, this thread does bring back a lot of fond memories flooding back. Those we thought forgotten, but they were just stored for just the right moment in time.
I wonder how many of us found ourselves, just smiling at those memories or maybe shed a tear because they are so dearly missed.

My real first name is James; I am named after both of my grandfathers, and several uncles. My parents made a lot of people happy when they gave me that name. Today, I am glad they did because it was the name carried by two fantastic men. I have a son named James and a stepson named James too. Two grandsons also carry the name.

JIM
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 04-Aug-2008, 08:58 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (mainopsman @ 04-Aug-2008, 07:56 PM)
Wow, this thread does bring back a lot of fond memories flooding back. Those we thought forgotten, but they were just stored for just the right moment in time.
I wonder how many of us found ourselves, just smiling at those memories or maybe shed a tear because they are so dearly missed.

My real first name is James; I am named after both of my grandfathers, and several uncles. My parents made a lot of people happy when they gave me that name. Today, I am glad they did because it was the name carried by two fantastic men. I have a son named James and a stepson named James too. Two grandsons also carry the name.

JIM

Mainopsman;

My name is David, my Fathers' name was David, so was my Grandfather, GreatGrandfather, and Greatgreatgrandfather. If I ever become a grandfather my daughter has promised that if its a grandson he will be David and if a granddaughter Davina.(Fem for David)

Camac.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt