Posted: 29-Jan-2008, 03:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

My main venue at the present is Etsy. www.etsy.com

It's for handmade items, plus supplies and some vintage. It's been around for just about three years now, if I'm remembering correctly. Much more reasonable in terms of charges and fees, much more friendly. I've been there a little over a year now...

http://theebonswan.etsy.com

There's drawbacks, like anywhere else, but so far I've been happy. It's not an auction house either, it's like a massive collective of store fronts, which actually simplifies things considerably. This year I plan on branching to other sites, like lov.li, Dawanda, and with any luck Trunkt or Mintd somewhere down the road.

Like I said, I'll put a couple things up on Ebay mainly for promotional purposes since that's still where the majority of people turn first in looking for items online. But listing 50-100 auctions like I used to? Good lord no. It's just not worth it anymore.
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 26-Feb-2008, 02:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

Hi folks,
I do a fair amount of ebaying both buying and selling. It actually was my son who got me started on ebay. I was throwing away obsolete and what I felt were unsellable machines. he suggested ebay and I said no one is gonna buy this junk, so he listed it for me. To my surprise it sold and for alot of money, well i was hooked. I had about 7 of these units and I had already dismantled and thrown away 4 of them. I sold the 3 on ebay and the buyers were very happy too!!! I ended up taking over his ebay name and have been doing it ever since.

Like anything in life, there is good and bad, thankfully I have run into much more good than bad. Out of over 600 transactions I would say about 4 real not nice people. I have 100% feedback but I try and work real hard at keeping it that way. I almost always leave feedback first as a seller, many do not for fear of bad buyers. And many buyers are afraid of leaving negative feedback for fear of retaliatory feedback. As a buyer you really have to pay attention and ask questions of the sellers, not all are forth coming just as some buyers are really not fair.
I stopped worrying about feedback a long time ago, I just try and be as fair as possible, do my best to describe, communicate, ship quickly and charge fairly, leave feedback first and hope for the best. My ebay moniker is businessman5678

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Rindy 
Posted: 24-Mar-2008, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

I'm sure you've all heard about the corn flake-selling on ebay..crazy crazy I wonder how many I ate...lol... sad.gif

'Illinois' corn flake auctioned
1 day ago

Two sisters sold their Illinois-shaped corn flake on eBay for 1,350 dollars (£682).

The winner of the auction, which lasted more than a week, is the owner of a trivia website who wants to add the corn flake to a travelling museum.

Melissa McIntire, 23, and her sister Emily, 15, listed the corn flake last week, but eBay cancelled the auction saying it violated its food policy. So the sisters restarted the auction, advertising a coupon redeemable for the corn flake.
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 25-Mar-2008, 07:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

There have been some pretty bizarre items sold on ebay. Some I recall are snowballs made from the first snow in a hundred years somewhere down in Texas and the " yellow " snowballs made by some guy in Minnesota or Michigan, both sold on ebay. Some folks have too much time on their hands and others have more money than sense.
Rindy 
Posted: 25-Mar-2008, 02:39 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Well said UltsterScottNutt. It amazes me what people do with this stuff. I used to stick snowballs in the freezer they end up the size of a marble..lol..
I remember a can of spray that was suppose to smell like pooh pooh.gif Sold on ebay...crazy!!!

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 25-Mar-2008, 03:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (Rindy @ 24-Mar-2008, 09:32 PM)
I'm sure you've all heard about the corn flake-selling on ebay..crazy crazy I wonder how many I ate...lol... sad.gif

'Illinois' corn flake auctioned
1 day ago

Two sisters sold their Illinois-shaped corn flake on eBay for 1,350 dollars (£682).

The winner of the auction, which lasted more than a week, is the owner of a trivia website who wants to add the corn flake to a travelling museum.

Melissa McIntire, 23, and her sister Emily, 15, listed the corn flake last week, but eBay cancelled the auction saying it violated its food policy. So the sisters restarted the auction, advertising a coupon redeemable for the corn flake.

I've collected 49 states and the territories from my morning bowl of granola, if only I can find Oklahoma I would have a complete set and I could ebay it!!!! laugh.gif
ctbard 
Posted: 26-Mar-2008, 08:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Connecticut

female

And I can;'t sell my bear head on Ebay???? Not that I would now, I am very attached to Boris.

--------------------
The devil whispered behind the leaves, it's pretty but is it art?
Rudyard Kipling
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 26-Mar-2008, 11:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Now aren't you glad Boris was yanked off ebay.

The more you think about it, its a good policy not to be able to sell bear stuff on ebay.

Here's something I just learned that the word "bear" is a taboo word in Gaelic.

Among animals the bear was of special consequence. Its original Proto-Indo-European name *rktho-, later *rkso-, resulting in Sanskrit rkshos, Greek arktos, Latin ursus, Armenian arj, Celtic *artos, was taboo in Gaelic (math-ghamhain /mahowin/, Mahon ‘good-calf’!) and in all Slavic languages, and it was alluded to instead as the ‘honey-eater’ (med-v-éd´), partly through fear perhaps and partly as a rival in the search for honey (Russian mëd /myot/) in the woods, from which was made hydromel, or ‘mead’ (Russian mëd, Greek methy [source of our chemical prefix “methy(l)”]). The v arose from the noun theme u in hypothetical *medu-yed´ ‘honey-eating’, like Sanskrit madh(u) v‑ád- ‘sweet-eat’. The Polish reflex of ‘bear’ is a further taboo word with negative aspersion: niedźwiedź, with miód /myoot/ ‘honey’ debased into niedź- under the influence of nie ‘no, not’.

[Written by Carl Masthay, 18 March 2008, paraphrasing Entwistle and Morison 1949, Unbegaun 1972, Preobrazhensky 1951, and other sources]

ctbard 
Posted: 26-Mar-2008, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Connecticut

female

And, did you know, brian's animal totem is the Kodiak bear
Rindy 
Posted: 20-Jun-2008, 04:08 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

lol you guys..... laugh.gif I saw this on Ebay and thought of this thread.

Ebay Expands PayPal Protection

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: June 20, 2008
SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — EBay hopes to attract more online traders by expanding the protections available to people who use its PayPal payment service for transactions on eBay’s Internet marketplaces.

EBay executives said Thursday at the company’s annual user conference that buyers who pay for items with PayPal will be eligible for full refunds, with no cap, if a seller fails to deliver an item as promised. Previously a buyer’s coverage was capped at $200, or $2,000 if the item’s seller enjoyed a particularly good reputation on eBay.

EBay sellers who accept PayPal as a payment method, as nearly all of them do, will also get unlimited protection against a charge being reversed. Such reversals can happen if a buyer claims not to get an item, or if a payment is fraudulently made. Previously sellers’ coverage had an annual limit of $5,000, and applied only for shipments to the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.

A PayPal spokeswoman, Sara Gorman, said the changes, due to take effect this fall, reflect the service’s increasing confidence in its ability to spot and block many fraudulent transactions before they occur.
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 20-Jun-2008, 04:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

Excellent!! I got burned once on a portrait lense for a medium format camera. I made the purchase from Canada and the seller was either getting rid of his loss or had taken the lens apart and didn't know how to put it back. I had the price of a new lens in it when it was repaired. He claimed it must have been damaged in shipment (the box was intact) and though it was supposed to be insured, I found there was no postal insurance available in Canada at that time thus no insurance on the shipment (I had paid a fee for insurance.) I made no more bids on items outside the US after that.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 22-Jun-2008, 11:30 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Patch I never thought about the insurance of the the country where it's shipped from. Sorry to hear you got burned. I wouldn't of made any more purchases overseas either! My purchases are usually better than on time. I have recently made a purchase of a book my book store couldn't get and I got it for cheaper. I try and support the town I live in but sometimes if they can't get it ya gotta do what ya gotta do...lol...You watch just because I said that it will be later than ever or won't come. Hope I didn't jinx myself.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 22-Jun-2008, 01:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Rindy @ 22-Jun-2008, 06:30 AM)
Patch I never thought about the insurance of the the country where it's shipped from. Sorry to hear you got burned. I wouldn't of made any more purchases overseas either! My purchases are usually better than on time. I have recently made a purchase of a book my book store couldn't get and I got it for cheaper. I try and support the town I live in but sometimes if they can't get it ya gotta do what ya gotta do...lol...You watch just because I said that it will be later than ever or won't come. Hope I didn't jinx myself.

Slainte

Out of close to 100 purchases, most of them small, that was the only bad experience and though the guy only had 18-29 ratings all were good. I didn't rate him and figured you had to pay to get an education.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
gcw57 
  Posted: 16-Jul-2008, 12:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: British Columbia

male

unsure.gif Patch, can you complain to eBay about your transaction?

If you paid for insurance, the seller should have insured it. I think $1 at Canada Post gets you insurance for (maybe?) several hundred dollars and if the item is valued higher than that - you can purchase any amount of insurance.

Almost all my purchases are fairly small so usually the shipping from overseas or the States isn't too terrible depending on whether the seller has a set price for shipping - that usually far exceeds the actual cost.

I keep thinking I should get a friend who sells on eBay to help me list some of my stuff. I'm not overly confident trying it myself.

--------------------
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 17-Jul-2008, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (gcw57 @ 15-Jul-2008, 07:24 PM)
unsure.gif Patch, can you complain to eBay about your transaction?

If you paid for insurance, the seller should have insured it. I think $1 at Canada Post gets you insurance for (maybe?) several hundred dollars and if the item is valued higher than that - you can purchase any amount of insurance.

Almost all my purchases are fairly small so usually the shipping from overseas or the States isn't too terrible depending on whether the seller has a set price for shipping - that usually far exceeds the actual cost.

I keep thinking I should get a friend who sells on eBay to help me list some of my stuff. I'm not overly confident trying it myself.

When I tried to contact him, he responded once and indicated it must have been damaged in shipping. I saw no evidence of that but he would not give me any information. I went to our post office and inquired about Canadian insurance. They said there was none. I think I paid about 180 for the lens. (It was a portrait lens for a Pentax 67 camera.) If I recall, the repair was over a hundred dollars and they told me it had been taken apart. Probably because the aperature leafs were sticking. It was cleaned and refurbished to be as good as a new lens which would have been worth about $600 if I could find one. As I have often said, you have to pay for an education.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]