Keltic 
Posted: 01-Aug-2004, 09:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

Well, we are back from the Glengarry Highland Games. This was our ninth season as vendors at the games and I have now been at the games for 37 years with only a handful of years missed. I was three when my brother started competing in highland dancing, 10 when I played pipes in massed bands, 11 when I first competed there and followed by spectator for a while and now nine years at our booth.

This was the first year that I can remember rain, rain and more rain. There have quite often been downpours of rain in the past but 15 minutes later, the sun always seems to shine on the games. Not this year.

Anyways, the games continued and there were a number of highlights this year:

Rae MacCulloch's highland dance school, celebrating 50 years, broke the previous mass Highland dance record of 255 participants. Her students, former and current from as far away as San Francisco, amassed 500 participants to become the new holders of the Guiness world record.

Link to local newspaper article

Competitions all continued with the dancing held in doors and the pipe band competition, solo competitions and the heavy events braved the weather and continued outside.

Not all, but a number of vendors refused to pull out of and with a bit of creativity, were able to provide mud free walkways to their booths.

The crowds weren't as large as usual but those that came, wouldn't let a constant rain "dampen" their spirits (sorry for that one).

The organizers did all that they could to push on and did a fantastic job.

Anyways, off to the Fergus Scottish Festivalin less than two weeks.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
Kamchak 
Posted: 02-Aug-2004, 04:05 AM
Quote Post

Master At Arms
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Southern U.S.

male

I had plans to go to these games and was only an hour away. I had a calling to be somewhere else, so I did not make it to the games. Getting back through customs was "not to good". They are running extra security at the Canadian border, 24 hours of driving non-stop to make it back to my house.

--------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ![SIZE=7][COLOR=green][CENTER]
PMEmail Poster               
Keltic 
Posted: 02-Aug-2004, 07:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

Apparently, there is a "work to rule" campaign being waged by Canada Customs agents because they are without contract. They are demanding some hefty wage hikes so that their wages come closer to the U.S. Customs agents salaries. At the Fort Erie crossing, they were taking 5 minutes longer for each search, in protest, which created an extremely long wait.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]