Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Should highlander radio pull civil war era songs?

Should highlander radio pull civil war era songs?
yes [ 14 ]  [14.58%]
no [ 82 ]  [85.42%]
Total Votes: 96
Guests cannot vote 
CelticRadio 
Posted on 23-Mar-2002, 09:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
223,126 Gold!

We received an interesting email from a listener about a certain group of songs that we play called "Songs of the Confederacy."

The writer states that these songs are being misrepresented on Highlander Radio because people of different ancestery may not know the full meaning behind the confederacy and are not aware of the ideals that these songs glorify. The writer states:

"While the music of the confederacy can be very colorful, it's playful melodies tend to mask the fact that it praises the fight to maintain the purchasing and ownership of human slaves in the southern states."

I have listened to every one of these songs personally and did not note anything offensive in the songs themselves. Our decision to include them in the broadcast was purely musically - they sound great and capture the spirit, from a historical persepective, of the Confederate states prior to the Civil war. They also have a purely Celtic quality to their melodies.

So with that said, I am putting this question to a poll to let the listeners decide. Would also appreciate any comments you might have about the request from this listener.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
maggiemahone1 
  Posted on 23-Mar-2002, 10:35 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

It's a matter of choice.  A person doesn't have to listen if he  or she finds something offensive.  They have the option to turn it off or leave it on.  If I don't like a song I don't listen.  The civil war is history and people are still crying about it.  I don't agree with slavery, but slavery is still known today in other countries.  I don't think these songs are glorifying slavery either.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
kylassie 
Posted on 23-Mar-2002, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Kentucky

Well, I believe that the Civil War was fought over many more reasons than just the issue of slavery - but I prefer to keep that debate on a different message board than this one! Let's keep politics out of this one!  :D

As to issue of the music of that era - I like that type music. It has its roots in the Celtic Traditions. The mountain music and folk dancing of the Appalchians are directly related to Scottish and Irish people who settled those regions. It just so happened that those areas suceeded from the Union for 4 years or so, but that music and the dancing remained the same.

Our people were often forced into slavery, too, you know. Slavery was not and has never been an issue of race - just the dominance of one country's political policies over another's. Many Scots and Irish people were shipped to the American Colonies and served as slaves or "indentured servants" without any legal rights of their own during the period known as the "clearances." They suffered at the hands of their owners every sort of evil concievable - so we can trace that common thread of oppression and suffering back several centuries, just as African Americans can.

--------------------
Slainte,

Janet

aka Kentucky Lassie

aka Janet, Queen of Scots :p
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted on 23-Mar-2002, 12:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Maybe a good idea is to try and post some info on this in case someone did have some questions or concerns.
PMEmail Poster               
aklassie 
Posted on 23-Mar-2002, 12:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Texas

female

I agree with Ky.  The music from that era is so important.  It is the grass roots of most of America's music.  If people don't like it they can turn the station off.  Let's DO keep politics out of this forum.

--------------------
"They That Wait Upon The LORD,
Shall Renew Their Strength,
They Shall Mount Up With Wings
As Eagels,
They Shall Run,
And Not Be Werry;
They Shall Walk,
And Not Faint." ISAIAH 40:31
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Cabbagehome 
Posted on 24-Mar-2002, 02:22 PM
Quote Post

Viking Queen of the Fair Isles

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Howell, Michigan USA

:B oh my gosh, I just realized there ar 2 lassies  :B  
Ky is right all groups being treated badly by another at one time or another.  History is past and we learn form it, not use it to get some freebe.  
Why does music have to be politically correct. It is a form of history. School books are not the only form.  How many cultures had no writing, but still had a compleat knowlage of their history.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted on 25-Mar-2002, 11:56 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
223,126 Gold!

Some great comments here!

Seems for the time being, the civil war era Celtic songs are going to stay.

Perhaps we should all take a que from President Abraham Lincoln when during the Victory celebration in Washington D.C. he insisted that they play Dixie. While alot of people disagreed with the fact they played that song then, symbolically lincoln knew that we needed to respect their heritage because we are one nation.

Its not to say that because I enjoy listening to a song from that time era that I am somehow supporting the values or cause that song represents.

Thanks again for your opinions and comments and know that you are shaping Highlander Radio! :)
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
faceless 
Posted on 26-Mar-2002, 10:47 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Glasgow

I very much agree with Scottish2 on this. It is highly important that you post information on the background reasons for playing such music.

But just because something sounds Celtic it doesn't make it right. If you play these old tunes, it should be acceptable to play modern Irish rebel songs, for example.

Just give us good tunes.

--------------------
[url]http://www.facelesscomedy.connectfree.co.uk[/url]
PMEmail Poster               
Mel 
Posted on 27-Mar-2002, 12:32 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

Music is part of history and culture. By putitng away those songs you put away a part of the history. If someone doesn't like it, he just has to turn it off. Those songs helps us to remember the past and give us a chance  to stop history repeating itself about domination and slavery by reminding us how people have suffer and how humain being can be evil. :(

It's great that we keep them on.
Have a good day everyone :D
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted on 27-Mar-2002, 01:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

I agree that's why I suggested maybe posting some info on this for those who might be worried about this issue they might be able to see why having them is just as important.  :)
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted on 07-Apr-2002, 06:09 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

Maybe a bit late to post here, but what is so bad about playing songs from the civil war era?
I agree with maggiemohone1 that I don't need to listen when I don't want to hear a song.

Also I think (and agree with Mel in that) that these songs are part of hisotry that shouldn't be forgotten.
Someone who likes scottish music also hears the songs of the from the Jacobite's rising. And I heard that you played "Come out ye black and tans" which also has a highly political issue. Songs like these might have offended the ears of other people, too.
It helps us to remember those times even tho they weren't positive.

And those songs perhaps still carry a good melody. And I think that good music shouldn't be forgotten, even if it was misused. A good tune remains a good tune.

Perhaps I can give an example. Do you know Wagner? Perhaps some of you might like his music, but did you know that his music was highly influenced by social-darwinism (the strongest people will survive) and the theories of Chamberlain (a scientist in the 19th century) that said the the white (Aryan) races are the superior races. Today not many people think about that but still many of them listen to his music.

Music may carry the wrong issues but I think it is still a good piece of art.

Thank you for reading this.

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted on 08-Apr-2002, 01:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
223,126 Gold!

Aon_Daonna,

You make some very good points in your post! I enjoyed reading your comments.

For the time being, we are leaving the music on the broadcast. Thanks for providing your feelings on this matter. Our listeners have spoken and we hear you loud and clear!
Falachaidh 
  Posted on 11-Apr-2002, 11:23 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Central Florida

ruh-roh
i clicked the wrong button on the civil war songs poll!
please disregard a "yes".
ok, now i totally feel like half of the florida voters at the last presidential election. :B  :B

as far as an opinion, as late as it may be, I totally agree with what everyone has been posting. i have long been an advocate of keeping music in our schools which has evolved into educating people of the history of folk dancing.. such as square dancing's roots, etc.
if someone is offended by the playing of "dixie", then they can click mute on their volume control panel on their computer.
(h)  (btw I LOVE Elvis's version of Dixie) (h)

Just because you play it doesn't mean you agree with the ideals that the music's era was set in. For God's sake, we don't live and certainly don't act the way men and women acted when Mozart and Beethovan were alive, do we?
(We weren't even a country when they were alive)
Yet we applaud their works as masterpieces and are put on display for hundreds of dollars for a seat with a mink stole wrapped around our shoulder. They are considered the greats from which all modern music stemmed from. HAH! :zz

As far as "dixie", it is a part of American heritage whether we like it or not. Our (most of our) ancestors went through it and had to deal with it so we all can live as a unified country... in everything.  
My ex (the only good tihng I can say about him in honestly) husband loved teh Confederate flag. I saw it as a sign for the KKK, but he didn't. He saw it as his heritage as his family was from Arkansas. His greaat great grandfathers died in that great war-eventhough they owned no slaves. It was a reminder to him. I respected that.
(Did you know there is a Confederate tartan?)

Tartan Finder

--------------------
Dance Life to the Fullest.
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
  Posted on 12-Apr-2002, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

There is a reason why Elvis is called "THE KING!!!" I really love his music (I just had to say that!  ;)   )

And thank God we're not living in the times of Mozart or Beethoven... at least I'm thankful that I am not a woman living in that age... :)
PMEmail Poster               
ronw1 
Posted on 19-Jun-2004, 06:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: tulsa ok

male

Not on ones life should they be pulled. That would be like having the celtic nation just vanish off the face of the earth. The Scotts and the Irish were a big part of the stuggle
and im sure there are songs from our people. cool.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]