Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Interesting Article Regarding Scottish Identity, scots say accents make you scots
teashoci 
Posted: 19-Jun-2006, 10:56 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacRowan

Realm: glasgow

male

According to native scots an individuals accent makes them scottish.
in a recent poll the vast majority of scots regrded people with scottish accents as scots rather than race or ancestors.

Does any scots on the board have any thoughts on this ?.Personally i have always found that it is not ancestors or place of birth that makes you scottish but wether you were brought up within scottish culture and scottish people that defined scottish identity, does anyone have any other kind of ideas on this?.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4994174.stm
PMEmail Poster               
Senara 
Posted: 19-Jun-2006, 11:50 AM
Quote Post

Musican/Ruler of the Dells/Warrior
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Caer Portshire, Mist Hollow

female

The definition of what makes one a Scot changes with the wind. That much I can tell you. While I am of Scottish decent, I will not lay claim to being a proud (and sometimes obnoxious) Scot. I do not know enough of the history, culture, and current events to claim that identity. Accent or no I think it's the culture that makes one what they are. I will claim my heritage and that my Scottish roots were forced acrossed the waters by some English military maniac. Until I can appreciate the rest I do not consider myself a "True Scot". Just one by blood and that's good enough for me, the rest will just come when the time is right.

--------------------
Senara-ism : Life is like a theatrical production only you get to be actor, director, and audience all at once. So break a leg, sit back and enjoy the show!

"When the waves are high and the light is dying, raise a glass and think of me..." -Gaelic Storm

Cha chòir dòrn a thoirt an aghaidh pòig.
A kiss ought not to be met with a fist.

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

"I am a crazy, rabid squirrel! I want my cookies!" Hammy-Over the Hedge
PMEmail Poster               
ShadowDarkFyre 
Posted: 19-Jun-2006, 04:02 PM
Quote Post

ur-Lord of the Domain and Realms

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Caer RivenMyst, Fantasia I.D.

male

Senara makes a good point... Again, as with most things, it comes down to perception...

For me, I consider myself part Scots... Part Irish, and a bit of everything else... In some views, it's blood that makes you so... In others it's birthplace and upbringing... Still others, it's both...

All depends on the individual...

--------------------
user posted image

There's magick in believing...

The Domain and Realms
http://www.thedomainandrealms.com
PMEmail Poster               
coastman 
Posted: 23-Jun-2006, 03:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Coastal Georgia

male

For me, I consider myself part Scots... Part Irish, and a bit of everything else... In some views, it's blood that makes you so... In others it's birthplace and upbringing... Still others, it's both...

All depends on the individual...

Now that is a true statement. For my family we were reared in the deep South. As sons and daughters of the South we are Southerners first and Americans second. I have two kilts that I wear with pride. One is the tartan of my family and the other is the Confederacy Memorial kilt that I wear on all Southern Holidays. I am researching two family lines. My father's father's family and my father's mother's family. It has been a fantastic trip.
Recently I was in Elon North Carolina and I visited the Cemetery where my family is buried. I visited graves dated from 1784 to 2004. Our roots runs from Ulster to Galway. I am looking forward to going to Usler next year and maybe Galway the following year. cool.gif
PMEmail Poster               
crazykiltedcelt 
Posted: 23-Jun-2006, 05:22 PM
Quote Post

LOCH MOY
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: utah

male

Aye!!
Amercian by brith, Scotish by blood and proud of both. We all are part of where we come from, where we live, famliy heratrich and how we choose honor these things. I'm an amercain who is proud to be able to cliam my Irsih and Scottish famliy roots.

--------------------
shout freedom and loose the legs of woe

A man in a kilt is a man & an halve
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 28-Jun-2006, 03:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

I would call myself a Scot if and when I were to relocate there and add my work and support to the land and the economy directly. It seems to be the way the Scots themselves define it these days -- or at least the ones recruiting new immigrants. I'd catch up on the accent and the cultural identity before too long. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
givo 
Posted: 10-Jul-2006, 05:28 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

I think that if u are of scottish decent you can call your self scottish but if you were brought up in scottish culture and customs and traditions and you are happy thats fine.
if you live in America or Australia for exampel and you have scottish blood in you
want to be scottish because it gives them a sence of belonging.

I am first generation scott living in Australia and over here it is very multicultural so you want a sence of belonging

Alba Gu Brath!

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]