Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Whiskey In The Jar..., Diff. versions...which one do you like?
Taliesin 
Posted: 09-Nov-2004, 12:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Central Valley, California, USA

male

I've heard a lot of versions of Whiskey in the Jar, and I really like that song. Which version do you like? Who does the most faithful rendition of it? Whose version is the 'most cool'?

I don't know about most faithful...I just heard the Clancy Bros. version of it, and it seemed pretty 'trad'.

As far as my favorite, well, yes, it's the version by Seven Nations that can be found on one of their Road Kill albums. It's combined with a nice poem-style recitation by piper Neil Anderson, and the actual song portion is really nice and upbeat.

And for most cool, I vote for Metallica's rendition. Though not faithful at all (changing the entire outcome of the song, and not really covering Jenny's/Molly's unfaithfulness) it is awesome to hear one of my favorite bands covering a Celtic folk song. smile.gif And I like what they did with it.

-Chris

--------------------
-Taliesin

A Scotsman Abroad
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 09-Nov-2004, 03:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Actually, Metallica's version is a cover of Thin Lizzy's version from the late '70s-early '80s. It is good though.

Also, I used to have U2 doing a version of it on MP3. It was pretty good too.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
dundee 
Posted: 09-Nov-2004, 03:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

try jerry garcia and dave grisman on the "shady grove" album.... in fact if ya dont have that album i highly very highly recommend it. note.gif
jerry.gif

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
Taliesin 
Posted: 09-Nov-2004, 04:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ 09-Nov-2004, 02:24 PM)
Actually, Metallica's version is a cover of Thin Lizzy's version from the late '70s-early '80s. It is good though.

How interesting! I had no idea that so many rock/pop bands had done covers of that song.

So why do you suppose so many non-Celtic and non-Folk bands have covered it over the years?

-Chris
Rindy 
Posted: 09-Nov-2004, 08:04 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

I like Thin Lizzy and Metallicas versions!!
Rock on!
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 09-Nov-2004, 11:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

I like Charlie Zahm's version, thanks!

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 10-Nov-2004, 03:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (sir_tal @ 09-Nov-2004, 04:36 PM)
How interesting! I had no idea that so many rock/pop bands had done covers of that song.

I got that information from reading the liner notes from the Garage, Inc. CD.

Yes, I am one of the people who reads the album liner notes. You never know when it's gonna come in handy playing trivia games biggrin.gif .
Taliesin 
Posted: 10-Nov-2004, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Yes, I am one of the people who reads the album liner notes. You never know when it's gonna come in handy playing trivia games

Oh man, I am that way. Not as much with Liner Notes as with movies. There's a game called Scene It! where players answer trivia questions about movies, answer questions about movie clips, etc. It's a really fun game, but it helps if you go to IMDB.com several times a day. :-D

I probably would have known that about Whiskey in the Jar if I owned Garage Inc. Garage Inc is one of the few Metallica CD's I don't own. Kill Em All, and Reload are the other ones. smile.gif

-Chris
MDF3530 
  Posted: 10-Nov-2004, 04:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (sir_tal @ 10-Nov-2004, 03:36 PM)

Oh man, I am that way.  Not as much with Liner Notes as with movies.  There's a game called Scene It! where players answer trivia questions about movies, answer questions about movie clips, etc.  It's a really fun game, but it helps if you go to IMDB.com several times a day.  :-D

I probably would have known that about Whiskey in the Jar if I owned Garage Inc.  Garage Inc is one of the few Metallica CD's I don't own.  Kill Em All, and Reload are the other ones.  smile.gif

-Chris

Have you ever heard of a game called Encore? You roll the dice, and when you move to that color-coded spot, your opponent draws a card and tells you the word corresponding with that color. You then have to come up with a song lyric (no original works) that contains that word. Popular music is preferred, but show tunes and church hymns are permitted.

My friend Nathan and I play that against his mom. She's a former '60s hippie, so she knows a lot of songs by Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, etc., and she used to kick our butts. We're catching up, though. The last time we played ended in a draw.

BTW, if you catch me in the right mood (it helps if I have some "liquid courage" in me beer_mug.gif ), ask me & I'll do my Bob Dylan impression. It cracks Nathan's mom up every time. She says I got him dead-on.

This post has been edited by MDF3530 on 10-Nov-2004, 04:11 PM
Taliesin 
Posted: 15-Nov-2004, 01:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

What an excellent idea for a game. I'm going to look around for that one.

-Chris
MDF3530 
  Posted: 15-Nov-2004, 04:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (sir_tal @ 15-Nov-2004, 01:45 PM)
What an excellent idea for a game. I'm going to look around for that one.

-Chris

If you ever do buy Garage, Inc., make sure it has the "Parental Advisory-Explicit Lyrics" thingie on it. There's one song on Disc 2 titled "So What?" that is just loaded with F-bombs. I made the mistake of buying it at K-Mart and it is so censored.gif annoying hearing all those censored.gif bleeps!

The only Metallica album I don't have is St. Anger. From what I've been told, I ain't missing much.
Taliesin 
Posted: 16-Nov-2004, 11:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

St. Anger really is a sad album. I did a review of it over on Amazon.com. There is no artistry. It sounds like Metallica threw everything that made them great out the window and decided to make an album that sounded like a bunch of kids getting their instruments out in a garage and then proceeding to sound like crap.

To the group's credit, there are a few little pieces of songs where I say, "Whoa, that was really cool." But again, such jems are swallowed up into the rest of the crap so as to be almost imperceptible.

Also, to the group's credit, given the theme of the album, and the title, they really did make a record that sounded like musical anger. However, it's not a good thing to listen to. Directed anger, controlled anger, these things make for good records. Channeling one's anger into one's art makes for passionate art. It makes for a cool album. Unbridled fury makes me want to break a CD in half and burn it. If that's what they were going for, then kudos.

A lot of their fans lambasted them for their most recent creation, so if they decide to make another album, it will be interesting to see if they change.

-Chris

P.S. I'm done talking about Metallica, I think. smile.gif Not exactly Celtic. wink.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]