Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Truth Or Lie About Santa?, Should parents lie to their kids?

When should kids be told there is no Santa Claus?
They will figure it out as they grow older [ 19 ]  [79.17%]
Around 8-10 years old [ 1 ]  [4.17%]
When they first start school [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Never even say that Santa exists and tell the truth [ 4 ]  [16.67%]
Total Votes: 24
Guests cannot vote 
Aventar 
  Posted on 02-Dec-2003, 10:21 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

It seems to me that Santa is real. He may not be a breathing person, but Santa is indeed real.

Santa is the spirit of the season....now just hold on all of you Christians who are starting to get your knickers in an uproar....Santa is the sprit of the season because this is the season of Peace and love...it does not just belong to Christians...it belongs to Muslims, Jews, Pagans....everyone.

The realness of Santa is spirit...love...belief and magic. How innocent we are when we believe that there is a man in a red suit that comes every Christmas eve. How much have we all changed since Santa ceased to exist in our lives? Are we more cynical? Do we worship the all mighty money more than we experience the magic of belief?

I for one would feel better if I never lost Santa, it is only a cruel person who never gives their child the gift of belief in something so good, and wonderful.

Aventar

--------------------
Magic rules our lives everyday, whether we choose to see it or not!
PMEmail Poster                
Aventar 
  Posted on 02-Dec-2003, 10:22 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAlder

female

It seems to me that Santa is real. He may not be a breathing person, but Santa is indeed real.

Santa is the spirit of the season....now just hold on all of you Christians who are starting to get your knickers in an uproar....Santa is the sprit of the season because this is the season of Peace and love...it does not just belong to Christians...it belongs to Muslims, Jews, Pagans....everyone.

The realness of Santa is spirit...love...belief and magic. How innocent we are when we believe that there is a man in a red suit that comes every Christmas eve. How much have we all changed since Santa ceased to exist in our lives? Are we more cynical? Do we worship the all mighty money more than we experience the magic of belief?

I for one would feel better if I never lost Santa, it is only a cruel person who never gives their child the gift of belief in something so good, and wonderful.

Aventar
PMEmail Poster                
Raven 
Posted on 02-Dec-2003, 09:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (Aventar @ Dec 2 2003, 11:22 AM)

True, the Christmas holiday is overlaid on a much older Holiday that celebrates the winter solstice. I believe the oldest one that I found record of was the Bachanalia (please excuse the spelling wink.gif ) which was a Greek holiday with the cheif god being the child god Baccus. I believe that the Babylonians had a similar holiday previous (maybe the Adultlonians also tongue.gif ) Regardless the holiday definitely predates the birth of Christ by at least hundreds of years.

The evidence seems to indicate that Halloween would be a more appropriate time to celebrate the birth of Christ as it is more easily reconciled with the biblical acount of Christ's birth.

The fact that Santa is a major part of the modern Christmas holiday should not be a suprise and actually seems very apropriate to me in light of serious study that I have done on this holiday. It's even oddly coincidental that statues of Saturn bear a strong resemblance to the modern day Santa figure ( may be Santa is actually a corruption of Saturn wink.gif )

It will all be in my report

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Therasa 
Posted on 03-Dec-2003, 03:30 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacOak

female

I agree that christmas is now just another reason to spend money you don't have, on toys that will either be broken in a day, or forgotten in two. So, both sons and I have started to make, rather than buy, presents. I do alot of cross stitch, so I make pictures for people. Together the boys and I this year, are making magnets from salt dough. We bought some unfinished wood items this year. Mirrors, plaques, tree ornaments, and so on. We will paint them with something special for each person. When we buy things, we will buy what that person wouldn't buy for themselves. I'm quite a tool though, I buy all the pets something. Huge bones for the dogs, and catnip for the cats. Although Murphy (eldest dog) loves the catnip. He steals it and runs. LOL

I think people just need to take their time and look around them. Not try and out do the next parent or family in what they buy. That gets old real fast. People now adays, want the homemade things. It's more special, you took the time and effort to make something just for them. It's original. I love that more.

Take care

--------------------
Therasa

Sweet kisses after death, are remembered
Sweet smiles after death, are recalled
Sweet voices after death, are silent
Sweet love after death, after all.

PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted on 03-Dec-2003, 03:43 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Good Lord Aventar. Please open your mind. Not all Christians are as closed minded as the world might think. I grew up in the church, and have always had the nativity out front, and Santa on the wall inside, and stockings full on Christmas morning.

The last Christmas play I went to in Church had Santa there as well. And I said the same thing you did earlier on in this thread. Santa IS the incarnation of the Christmas spirit.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
maryellen 
Posted on 03-Dec-2003, 03:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

True, but Saturn is the god of agriculture -- nothing much to do with Christmas.
The time of Jesus' birth would have to be a warm time of year - the shepherds were outside watching their flock. In the cold weather months, they would have been inside a stable.

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted on 03-Dec-2003, 09:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (maryellen @ Dec 3 2003, 04:44 PM)
True, but Saturn is the god of agriculture -- nothing much to do with Christmas.
The time of Jesus' birth would have to be a warm time of year - the shepherds were outside watching their flock. In the cold weather months, they would have been inside a stable.

Saturn has more to do with Christmas than you might suppose.

Actually the Romans celebrated the Saturnalia at about the time that we presently celebrate Christmas. (they actually had the Feast of Sol Invicta on the 25th) This is what the Roman culture changed the Bachanalia from the Greeks to. Both of these holidays predate the present day Christmas holiday.

Exactly my point about the biblical account of the birth of Jesus it would have been at a warmer time than winter and is more likely to have occured in October or possibly even early November as Shepards still might have had their flocks in the open field.

My take is that Christmas is actually very true to it's real origins as a study of both the Saturnalia and the Bachanalia will reveal to anyone who cares to study them. I am there fore not suprised that modern day Christmas is as commercial as it is. http://www.circlesanctuary.org/pholidays/S...rnaliaInfo.html

Another interesting link on Santa pertaining to Saturn http://www.circlesanctuary.org/pholidays/S...iceArticle.html
(speaking again in my best church lady voice) notice Saturn in you put the N after the A hmmm who could it be S.A.N.T.U.R (possibly Santa spoken with a Boston accent biggrin.gif )

Peace

Mikel
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]