Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What's Your Opinion Of The Death Penalty?

What's your opinion of the Death Penalty?
All for it [ 5 ]  [41.67%]
Against it [ 7 ]  [58.33%]
unsure [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Votes: 12
Guests cannot vote 
scottish2 
Posted on 13-Oct-2003, 03:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ Oct 13 2003, 05:07 PM)
I have to admit it. I'm one of the two that voted for the death penalty. If you commit the ultimate crime of murder, you should have to pay the ultimate penalty.

sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Welsh Guy 
Posted on 13-Oct-2003, 04:19 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Paris, France

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ Oct 14 2003, 12:07 AM)
I have to admit it. I'm one of the two that voted for the death penalty. If you commit the ultimate crime of murder, you should have to pay the ultimate penalty.

MDF = Medium Density Fiberboard.

Hhmmm is that where you get your ideas from??

(Inflexible and has to be varnished before it looks good.)

The US is responsible for more state murder (Death Penalty) than any other country in the world except for China and Iran, I hope you're proud of that!

The death penalty does not exist in Europe and the murder rate is a small percentage of that of the state of Texas!

Then comes the question of false convictions etc. There is no excuse for state killing in a democracy!

--------------------
Quand tout renaît à l'espérance
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted on 13-Oct-2003, 04:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Agreed Welsh. if even .0000000000005% of convictions are wrong that is 1 to many. And from what I have seen figures would seem to indicate more then that are wrongful convictions.
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted on 13-Oct-2003, 05:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Let me clarify my statement. I believe that the death penalty should only be reserved for those caught in the act of committing the murder. No feathers on the dog's muzzle. Caught in the henhouse.

Texas has made a mockery of "speedy trial by jury". Their version of that is the Old West version-try it in a kangaroo court then string 'em up.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
maryellen 
Posted on 13-Oct-2003, 05:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

I think the death penalty should be abolished. It's too easy. They need to sit in jail, or do hard labor and contimplate what they did wrong.

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted on 13-Oct-2003, 05:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (maryellen @ Oct 13 2003, 07:04 PM)
I think the death penalty should be abolished.  It's too easy.  They need to sit in jail, or do hard labor and contimplate what they did wrong.

I'll disagree only minor it should be sit in jail and do hard labor. smile.gif And your right deaths to easy they don't suffer enough.
PMEmail Poster               
maryellen 
Posted on 13-Oct-2003, 07:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

Here, here! beer.gif
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted on 13-Oct-2003, 07:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

And no possibility of parole doesn't mean out in 10 or 20. dry.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted on 14-Oct-2003, 12:03 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ Oct 14 2003, 12:07 AM)
I'm one of the two that voted for the death penalty. If you commit the ultimate crime of murder, you should have to pay the ultimate penalty
I am also one of the people who voted for the Death Penalty.

If I was to commit such a horrid crime. Then I believe I should pay for the crime by which it was committed. No Gas Chamber, No Hanging, No Lethal Injection unless the Crime was committed in such a manner.

For an example:
When the Mother (I use the word loosely) drowned her children in the car, in one of the Carolinas. I said that she should be drowned by the same method she did her children.

As far as Abortion, I do not know if it should be brought here or on another Thread. But I shall Post my viewpoints on that as well, at the Proper Time and Place. I am not going to change the discussion, it's going well thus far.

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
scottish2 
Posted on 14-Oct-2003, 04:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Richard this is fine as it was brought into this trhead for comparison so feel free to talk.

Man you don't have to worry so much this is an open forum unlike the outter forum which has to be a little more controled. We can discuss here and not worry and if a discussion gets slightly off topic not to worry is the nature of debate one subject invariablly brings up other close tied topics.

PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted on 14-Oct-2003, 08:03 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (High Plains Drifter @ Oct 13 2003, 04:53 PM)
A rather ironic thing in this country is that most supporters of the death penalty are against abortion because they view it a the taking of a life. Is there something wrong with this picture? sad.gif

I do not support Abortion unless the Mother's life is threatened.

The Child did not commit a horrid crime or for that matter any crime. The act was committed by two Consenting Adults, whether by accident or deliberate. Thus the child is the innocent one.

The Death Penalty is not for the purpose of taking of a life. It is for stopping that killer from committing any more murders and hopefully deterring any others from doing the same. But when that person sits on, so called Death Row for 20 years. They get to live on for another 20 years while the Family of the ones sits and wonders if the murderer of their loved one get the chance to walk free because some Judge someplace doesn't think it is the proper thing to do.

If it was a Dog that intentionally killed a Human Being. Would not that Dog be put down?

What is the difference?
PMEmail Poster                
High Plains Drifter 
Posted on 14-Oct-2003, 08:09 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Colorado

male

Richard, Thank you

--------------------
Be Mindful
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted on 17-Oct-2003, 04:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Richard Bercot @ Oct 14 2003, 10:03 PM)
If it was a Dog that intentionally killed a Human Being.  Would not that Dog be put down?

And how do you know the Dog was intentionally attacking to kill? Just look at the recent so called attack in that magic Show. Turns out it was an accident but for weeks the media was reporting it as a vicious mauling. When it was later discovered it wasn't and in fact it was almost the act of a mother protecting it's young.

How can you be 100% sure that the person did the killing and if there is even a 1% chance he/she didn't do it or had good reason for doing it such as self defense then the DP is wrong period and in my eyes there will always be some doubt.
PMEmail Poster               
maryellen 
Posted on 17-Oct-2003, 05:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

Rah rah High Plains and Richard! Very excellent point! clap.gif

I had thought of that, but held back thinking no one would support me. I was silly. I don't understand how many republicans are for the death penalty and against abortion. That's why one can't just vote according to party.
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted on 17-Oct-2003, 09:06 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (scottish2 @ Oct 17 2003, 06:54 PM)
And how do you know the Dog was intentionally attacking to kill? Just look at the recent so called attack in that magic Show. Turns out it was an accident but for weeks the media was reporting it as a vicious mauling. When it was later discovered it wasn't and in fact it was almost the act of a mother protecting it's young.

How can you be 100% sure that the person did the killing and if there is even a 1% chance he/she didn't do it or had good reason for doing it such as self defense then the DP is wrong period and in my eyes there will always be some doubt.

After a dealing of my own when my Wife was pinned in our house by a dog that was from nowhere in the community, tried to attack the Dog Warden when he was called. Then I would have to say this was an intentional act. And by the way, that particular dog was put down by my own hand when the Dog Warden gave me permission to do with the dog what I want. I am a person who lovers his dogs but I will not have a dog that is aggressive.

I never once thought however, that the Tiger you are referring to, made any kind of intensional act of aggression.

It is the ones who creates the intentional acts of murder whom I believe should be punished accordingly. When the murder kills, as I before mentioned, and shows no remorse. Then this is the type of person who would go out again and kill even if he is jailed for whatever number of years could still kill while they were incarcerated. What then? There are too many variables and different situation to say all murders are punishable by death. But to the ones who deserve it, should get it.

In the act of self defence which results in a death, the person doing the defending should not be put to the same punishment. While the one that was acting in self defence may have intentional killed the aggressor, the said person may have done so inorder to prevent the aggressor from carrying out his intentional act.

I understand what you are saying when you refer to the 1%. That is why we have Juries. And I understand that a Jury can be manipulated into believing. This is one of my reasons that I think we should take a deep look at our Legal System.
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]