Posted: 12-Sep-2006, 03:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

Realm: British Columbia

male

Hello!

My name is Gord and this is my first post to the forum. My family history goes back to Irish, Scottish, English and a bit of French.

My main focus for many years has been the Irish connection. My mother's maiden name is Smiley and I have tried to trace back a bit, but with limited success. There doesn't seem to be anyone still alive who may have the next piece of information that I need to go back further.

I have a large collection of Irish items including original artwork, books, glassware, phone cards, Bailey's tins and a full sized "Erin Go Bragh" flag on my wall. I was fortunate to make the trip to Ireland back in 1999. Three days on my own in Dublin, then a 2 week coach tour that took us from Belfast to Cork and Dublin to Galway. It was a fantastic trip and I would love to go back for an extended holiday and just poke about on my own for the most part.

Recently, due to the stumbling block with the Smiley family name, I am turning to the Wilson name in both Ireland and Scotland. Wish me luck with that! biggrin.gif I don't profess any talent for the searches, but I plod along.

I have an extensive collection of Irish and Celtic CD's, Cassettes and DVD's. Earlier this year I was able to see "Danu" in concert in our small town and enjoyed it immensely. note.gif I spent 15 years as a radio broadcaster in Western Canada. I really enjoy listening to the music of Live 365. Of course, it now takes me longer to get things done because I often stop and just listen.

I don't really know a lot about the site yet, as I'm still learning how to get around and where to find things. I hope to improve! I don't think I have any high expectations other than visiting with like minded folks. All the best to you!

--------------------
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted: 12-Sep-2006, 04:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Hi Gord! Welcome from the Navajo Nation in Northern Arizona! Glad you found us. I trust you will enjoy all this site has to offer. Their are a lot of neat folks here. I think you will thoroughly enjoy what you find.

Welcome aboard and have a great day!

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
sisterknight 
Posted: 12-Sep-2006, 06:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: clarks corner, new brunswick

female

welcome home!!!greetings from the great white(ok so we're green right now!!)north!!!nice to have another canuck here!!!this place is fabulous...best place to learn about the folk is through the threads in fun and games and hamm's place found in jester's thread!!!the music is....wellll..there are no words to describe it!!!!awesome, hmmmm nope, great hmmmm nope...well i'm sure you'll figure it yourself!! cheers.gif beer.gif

--------------------
non nobis domine,non nobis sed nomini tua da gloriam.

OKAY, WHAT DID I DO NOW??
PMEmail Poster               
gcw57 
Posted: 13-Sep-2006, 02:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

biggrin.gif

Thank you both!

I have been fortunate to visit Arizona many years ago and saw the Grand Canyon (It really is!). A wonderful trip from my younger days. I have done some travelling in my life and hope to continue to find new wonderful places around the world.

I would certainly like to see Scotland before I move on. For mabe a month or three! Seemingly, my ancestors were helping the English nobility that were headed to Scotland by relieving them of their burdensome money. Some say that it was the King king.gif himself who suggested that they may like to relocate to Ireland or, you know, face death! wink.gif They moved.

Are we allowed to discuss such things as where we are, what we do, what's interesting about our part of the world, share pictures or postcards or anything like that? When finding a new site I enjoy, I like to be very cautious in the beginning until I see how things are done.

I am still finding my way around so the tips are very helpful SisterKnight and I agree completely about the music. I like it better than most of my Celtic music CD's. note.gif
PMEmail Poster               
sisterknight 
Posted: 13-Sep-2006, 06:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: clarks corner, new brunswick

female

hey canuck!!!tips...well...hmmm....i've got a few people that i game with here that know where i live and have my sympatico address...i too am cautious...but you'll learn that most people on CR are all champs and wonderful!!!!it's a great community to belong to, caring and trusty!!
vik
PMEmail Poster               
ballydun 
Posted: 13-Sep-2006, 10:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Albuquerque, New Mexico

female

Welcome to the family! I know you will enjoy everything about the site, and the music is unbeatable!
Enjoy and welcome!
Cheers beer_mug.gif

--------------------
[color=red]"I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision." Maya Angelou

PMEmail Poster               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 22-Sep-2006, 03:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

Welcome! Great to have a West Coast Canadian here. thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 23-Sep-2006, 02:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Indiana

female

Welcome! This place is absolutely wonderful., but you will see that for yourself in no time. I too was a little cautious at first, as I think we all probably were, but it truly is a great place to be a part of.
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
gcw57 
  Posted: 23-Sep-2006, 03:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

biggrin.gif Thanks for the nice welcomes folks!

I am very much enjoying this site and the fabulous music that I am always setting up as soon as I sit down at the computer. Everyone has been terrific and I plan to stay around for a while! smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 23-Sep-2006, 04:29 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Welcome to the forum gcw57. I hope you will enjoy the forum as well as the wonderful music that Highlander Radio has to offer. The people here are really nice. I am glad you are enjoying all that Celtic Radio has to offer. I look forward to you posting.

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]