Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> God's Existence, Gods evidence seems lacking
Cailiosa 
Posted: 07-Dec-2003, 11:42 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

QUOTE (Annabelle @ Dec 7 2003, 11:08 PM)
Have you ever heard of the "Dead Sea Scrolls"?

Very goood for justifying the existence of the bible.

Annabelle

Sure thing, Annabelle. I did a report on them in my Archeaology class a year ago. Though I don't remember many details about them as my memory stinks, I know there are quite a few Biblical Archeaology websites that have a wealth of information on the Dead Sea Scrolls. I can try to round a few up if anybody would like to learn more about them.

--------------------
"For man He suffered and He died:
If man will take His word as guide
And leave all infamy,
Then we shall come to happiness
And blisses more than we can guess in Jesu's company."

Check out my journal
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 08-Dec-2003, 08:01 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

At the risk of being called a know it all (I've not been able to determine if some comments were directed at me or not tongue.gif shrugs and goes on wink.gif )

One of the cool things about the Dead Sea scrolls is that the provide conclusive evidence that the book of Danial (at least many portions) were acutally written before the events occurred making the writings prophesy as opposed to what some sceptics have written about Danial (saying it was predated)

I'm not sure that is the kind of evidence that Macy was looking for as I understood him/her to be looking for proof of a god/creator in a general.

I also posted information in the "Religeous Debate Thread" about a show that I saw on Discovery that indicates historical accuracy in the account of the life of Moses.

Interesting stuff! Thanks for bringing it up Annabelle!

Cailiosa, I for one would love to hear more about the Dead Sea Scrolls. (looks over each should and whispers, "speaking for myself")

Peace

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
myriad 
Posted: 08-Dec-2003, 11:33 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

female

Hello everyone
If you look back to pg. 2 you will see that I deleted my tantrum. I want to apologize for being irrational. I hope it doesn't discredit everything I have to say in the future. I have locked the soapbox away in the closet for a while so I can return to learning more by listenting. Thank you all for your insight and thank you for your understanding.
Mary
PMEmail Poster               
Cailiosa 
Posted: 08-Dec-2003, 12:50 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

female

For anyone who is interested . . .

http://www.bib-arch.org/
Actually a magazine, though it provides a variety of resources on biblical archaeology in general, several of them on the Dead Sea Scrolls. I remember being given this site by my Archaeology professor as a worthwhile source for my report.

http://www.bibleandscience.com/archaeology/discoveries/scrolls.htm
Just stumbled upon this one . . . seems like a winner. Might be worth your while to check out the entire site if you're interested in the connection of science to the Bible, Biblical Archaeology, etc. . Also has a section on if God exists (found under the Bible and Science section on the main page).

http://www.ibiblio.org/expo/deadsea.scrolls.exhibit/intro.html
The website for the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at the Library of Congress. Provides background information on the scrolls as well as links where one may find more information on them.

http://orion.mscc.huji.ac.il/
Used their information in writing my paper. The Orion center works out of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem and is dedicated to the study of the Dead Sea Scrolls and associated literature. Very helpful -- have a faq list and many science based resources.

Enjoy! Be sure to report back if you find anything interesting. tongue.gif
Jennie
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 08-Dec-2003, 06:30 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Dec 8 2003, 05:33 AM)

And if so does he/she/they/it wonder where he/she/they/it went so horribly wrong?
wink.gif

If any of you are bible readers, you have read in the Old Testament ...God was very sorry that he created mankind. sad.gif I think we have went from bad to worst.

I can't give anyone any scientific evidence that there is a God. I only know what I feel in my heart and the great peace I have knowing God.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 08-Dec-2003, 06:45 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

*smiles wickedly* call me an idiot but I can imagine why God was sorry for it *laughs* I mean there is not much to be proud of in humankind is there?

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 08-Dec-2003, 07:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (maggiemahone1 @ Dec 8 2003, 07:30 PM)

If any of you are bible readers, you have read in the Old Testament ...God was very sorry that he created mankind. sad.gif I think we have went from bad to worst.

Good Point Maggie

I forget about that from time to time. According to the flood account if he hadn't have found Noah he would have just wiped us all out and started over.

Peace

Mikel
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 08-Dec-2003, 08:02 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

note.gif Who built the ark? Noah, Noah, Who built the ark? Brother Noah built the ark! note.gif biggrin.gif Remember that song?

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Raven 
Posted: 08-Dec-2003, 10:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

Dang Maggie

You are making me feel old. I sang that song in my first grade music class back in the days when sonic booms filled the air and before that sort of behavior became illegal in public schools.

It's good to remenisce though. I really loved that music teacher.

Mikel angel_not.gif
CelticRadio 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 07:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
253,418 Gold!

Im not about to bestow my religious beliefs on you all, but to simply point out the fact that everything around is so wonderfully engineered......take the human body for instance....millions of cells working in conjunction allowing us to live and breath.

The weather, the earth, the environment, the ocean, the sun.....wow; to design such wonderful things.......did these just happen on their own or is their some great creator behind it all............

makes you wonder?

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 07:11 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

alas the wee breath of life seems to be it.. mellow.gif I mean, that could have been done by an electrical shock. *playing devils advocate here*
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 10:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

I guess that is the point "a wee breath of life" wink.gif ellequently put, and you are a wee bit of a divil lass tongue.gif

The fact that a god/higher power has to exist is for me a given and has nothing to do with any religeon the bible or anything else on a faith/spiritual level. That is an entirely different issue. I used to think that people who fell back on the god thing were mentally week and then I looked closer at the evidence myself. It really took just a few basics to change me from agnostic to looking for which god but that is a debate for another thread biggrin.gif .

The Second Law of Thermodynamics indicates that without any outside intervention left to their own devices things tend to move towards chaos instead of order. No where in Physics is it indicated that this law differentiates between living and non-living and it is a law of Physics.

I can believe in certain parts of evolution. Natural Selection for example and I could even buy the electrical stimulation idea...after all it worked for Shelly in the Frankenstein story.

The problem I have with macro evolution explaining the current state of life on earth is the lack of evidence for it. If you ask an evolutionist (I'm talking macro mind you molecules to man/Monkeys to man)

That particular science I find to be very unscientific. If Macro evolution were true there should be at least some evidence in the fossel record of transitional forms. Like a Lucy that did not turn out to be a hoax for example. A reason that Evolution is still spoken of as a theory.

Even looking at our lives, the way we try to do things to prolong them. This is another example of winding down moving toward chaos, the system degenerating.

It would be much easier for me to believe that we all just magically appeared as super geniuses as a result of some sort of weird interaction between chemicals and electricity and were now devolving into monkeys then to fish etc ... than the other way arround.

I personally think it takes a lot more faith to not believe in a god or higher being regardless of who that you think he/she or it is than to believe (strictly in light of scientific evidence and all that science teaches us) that the universe and life in it on our planet in particular, is a result of chance.

The electrical interaction theory though interesting seems to fly in the face of solid hard science. And while I do not believe that science has all the answers it certainly can be useful in determining what is likely to have happened and what is unlikely.

My tupence added once again free of charge tongue.gif

Mikel
andylucy 
Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 02:22 AM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 9 2003, 10:39 PM)
Like a Lucy that did not turn out to be a hoax for example.

Careful there guy! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 9 2003, 10:39 PM)
I personally think it takes a lot more faith to not believe in a god or higher being regardless of who that you think he/she or it is than to believe (strictly in light of scientific evidence and all that science teaches us) that the universe and life in it on our planet in particular, is a result of chance.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. It just makes more sense for there to be a God Who started everything. And as Albert Einstein once said, "God doesn't play dice with the universe." wink.gif Pure chance just doesn't cover it. At least not to me.

Just my tuppence.

Andy

--------------------
Just my tuppence.

Andy

Never drink to excess; you might shoot at a tax collector and miss. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

TANSTAAFL

If a person doesn't believe in something, he'll soon believe in anything. - G. K. Chesterton

9-1-1: state sponsored Dial-A-Prayer
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 08:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

I didn't mean like "AndyLucy" unsure.gif I know that you are for real tongue.gif
Shadows 
Posted: 15-Dec-2003, 11:46 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Just to play devils advocate here:

Where did the spark come from? Where did the matter it sparked come from?

Even the most basic and miniscule thing has to have a source of begining!

Put on your thinking caps friends and answer those questions.

As I stated, I am just playing the devils advocate!!! angel_not.gif

Is the universe and all in it an accident or planed?

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]