Posted: 11-Sep-2005, 08:14 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Dancing Horse
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Massachusetts

female

We have had some quite chilly mornings here , which means for my fellow hermit crab lovers , that the temperature and humidity in the crabitat will go down. Although , as the day goes on , the weather gets warmer and so won't your crabitat. But if you own a Strawberry hermit crab , the constant temperature drops , and temperature rises can be life threatening. If you own a Strawberry hermit I would suggest you buy a UTH (Under tank heater) with temperature control. If your like me , and own the more hearty hermit crab species , they will still need a UTH at some point , but not unless the temperature goes below 70 degrees. If the temperature goes below that , then your hermit crabs will be at risk. Remember that hermit crabs come from a very hot and humid climate. My crabitat has gone down to 70 degrees one morning this week and the hermits were all huddled together in the corner. I did my best to warm them up , by rapping towels around their tank. Another good way to warm up your crabitat if you can't rush to the store to buy a UTH is , boil water and put the water in say a pickles jar. Put the jar in the sand , but make sure no hermit crabs are underneath or around the sand in that spot. This will bring the temperature up and keeps the crabitat warm for eight hours. Hermit crabs will die if the temperature is too low , and they will die quickly. Keep your hermits happy and cozy this winter!

Happy hermits! tongue.gif

--------------------
Vicky MacArthur
I Am a Scottish Dancer and I am proud of my heritage

Horses and dogs are not my whole life....But they make my life whole!
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 12-Sep-2005, 10:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

ohmy.gif
Poor babies!
I have this vision of them huddling around warming their little crabby hands around the pickle jar. Makes me want to knit them little mittens and mufflers.

Do you change their diet for colder temperatures?
PMEmail Poster               
Highland Lassie 
Posted: 14-Sep-2005, 03:15 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 12-Sep-2005, 03:38 PM)

I have this vision of them huddling around warming their little crabby hands around the pickle jar.  Makes me want to knit them little mittens and mufflers.

haha! tongue.gif

Their diets stay the same. I feed them shrimp , steak , chicken , carrots , blueberrys , peanut butter and honey. They seem to love it. I gave them eggs the other day and by the end of the day all the eggs were gone. I try to feed them foods with lots of calcium because they need it , and after molts their colors come out gorgeous. I am having trouble with my favorite hermit , Leo. He just molted and it was very stressful for him. Someone stole his shell , and this stresses hermits out alot. Anyway I wish all my hermit would come up , their all dug under and their crabitat needs a serious cleaning!
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 14-Sep-2005, 06:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Highland Lassie @ 14-Sep-2005, 03:15 PM)
I am having trouble with my favorite hermit , Leo. He just molted and it was very stressful for him. Someone stole his shell , and this stresses hermits out alot. Anyway I wish all my hermit would come up , their all dug under and their crabitat needs a serious cleaning!

Stole his SHELL?? ohmy.gif Um -- how far could the culprit get?

Wow, it sounds like digging teenagers out of their rooms so you can vacuum. These guys are just like raising little scratchy kids, aren't they? You could order in pizza and a new video game, that'll get them up. pizza.gif pepsi.gif

I love reading about these guys. You make them sound so human, it's really a tickle.
PMEmail Poster               
Highland Lassie 
Posted: 14-Sep-2005, 07:03 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 14-Sep-2005, 11:34 PM)

I love reading about these guys. You make them sound so human, it's really a tickle.

these hermits think their human haha their so spoiled.
You should consider buying a few of these guys. (unless your terrified of spiders hehe) They are related to spiders , I am petrified of spiders ( I didn't know they were related at the time of purchase.) Their really awesome pets , but in my eyes their not low cost. Yes the things they need are low cost but when you add it all up it equals to allot. I have a snow shoveling job in the winter , so i'm hoping to buy them a 20 gallon tank and all new hermie toys! Their currently in a 10 gallon with 6 hermit crabs , so I can't get any more! I can't wait to get more of these little critters their so addicting.
PMEmail Poster               
Highland Lassie 
Posted: 14-Sep-2005, 07:43 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

Sadly My leo passed away , and crossed rainbow bridge. I went to check on him , and he was in the same position as earlier so I picked him up. He wouldn't come out of his shell. I loved him so much and I don't think I'll find another hermit like him , his color was a very rare find. I loved my leo he was my favorite , I wish I knew the cause of death. Rest in peace Leo. You are and always will be my favorite hermit. He is in hermie heaven now , with miles and miles of beach and with many hermit friends. You and Bob were best hermit friends , always together.
You are missed.... rip_1.gif sadangel.gif
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 14-Sep-2005, 08:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Oh, poor Leo, and poor lassie! I'm so sorry. I was feeling like I was getting to know him. sad.gif

Yes, I hope he's found the cleanest, warmest, most beautiful white sand and blue water in heaven. And maybe there's peanut butter and honey there for him too.

http://www.tropical-paradise.net/image-files/w1-b.jpg
http://www.strauscom.com/maranatha/images/...neypeanut26.jpg

I know you'll miss him and remember him always.
PMEmail Poster               
Highland Lassie 
Posted: 14-Sep-2005, 08:30 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

I liked the picture of paradise. I also loved the picture of the peanut butter I know Leo would have eaten all of it if he could! Here is a picture of Leo. He was so pretty.

Attached Image. Works with IE only! (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 14-Sep-2005, 08:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Such a delicate wee beastie. I can see how you could feel very fond of him, and also protective. That pretty blue house, that's not a shell -- was that something you provided for him? Is that what you do when you nurture them in a tank? Pretty posh.
PMEmail Poster               
Highland Lassie 
Posted: 15-Sep-2005, 07:49 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

That was Leo's shell. When I bought him from the pet store seven months ago , that is what he had on. I offer many natural shells , because if the hermits eat any of the paint on the shells , then it's deadly. He had since changed the shell after his molt , which I was happy about. Poor hermit , he was the sweetest one I have ever had.
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 18-Sep-2005, 07:08 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

So sorry about Leo's passing to Hermie Heaven. Sounds like he had heaven down here on earth with you Vicky. My 2 gdaughters had hermit crabs and sadly theirs passed on. The oldest one was so upset and the youngest just kinda took it in stride.

You have educated me on the care of hermit crabs, thanks so much, Vicky! biggrin.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
stoirmeil 
Posted: 28-Sep-2005, 12:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

So, Highland Lassie, how are the other crabs getting on now it's really turning to fall? Is there a new brother or sister hermie coming to their crabitat? (I still can't believe they eat peanut butter. smile.gif Do you just drop a little plop of it right in the water, or is there some kind of feeder you use?)
PMEmail Poster               
Highland Lassie 
Posted: 05-Oct-2005, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

My hermits took it quite well I think. I actually did find the cause of death of little Leo. One of the other crabs disturbed Leo while he was molting , Molting in hermit crabs is the shedding of the exoskeleton which is a very stressful process , It can take as little as one week or as much as 4 or 5 months. After they shed the exoskeleton they eat it , because they need the nutrients from it to live. Hermits usually make themselves a cave underground in the sand , but occasionally they surface molt. Anyway's ,Leo came up while someone was disturbing him and didn't finish eating his Exoskeleton. A few weeks later I cleaned out the crabitat and found his Exoskeleton. I learn something new everyday , next time I will look to make sure their is no Exoskelton left. I won't be buying any more hermit's for a while , not until I save up enough money to buy them a 20 gallon tank (their currently in a 10 gallon) I did put a second level in for them and they seem to like climbing up on the top level , then climbing back down. The hermits have one side of a big clam shell for their food dish. I put everything in their and their favorite treats are Honey and popcorn , which are always gone the next morning. My hermits sure are spoiled ones!
rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 05-Oct-2005, 08:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Well -- it's still sad, but it must be a relief to know what happened. And it is interesting, how they kind of recycle their resources by eating their shells. Such a long molt for such little animals! must be a good proportion of their lives really.

It's so fun to imagine them in their new duplex. It's really just like little people. And the cuisine -- marveilleux! Honey popcorn on the half shell. Very posh.
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt