Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Highland And Country Style, what is the difference?
Nancy-Raven 
Posted: 01-May-2005, 07:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Quebec

female

Well my mom told me I'm a bit obset my the scottish things but I think if it interest me so much it's probably because it remind me something from another life.Having the traditionnal costume arisaid is great but I'm seriously thinking to learn dance.The only problem I'm facing right now is the 2 possible style: country scottish dance or highland dance.I see a little bit of what highland can looks like but didn't see the other.Is there anyone who know a place with a little demo on quick time player?It would be great to see the difference between them or is there anyone who actually know the difference?
PMEmail Poster               
gwenlee 
Posted: 02-May-2005, 08:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

Hi Nancy

I do Scottish Country Dancing. I wrote about it under Where are the dancers on 1/7/2005. As stated there I've only been doing it about a year. But if you have any questions I'll be glad to try and answer them for you. If you go to a game there is SCD there sometimes. Or you can look up a class on the internet. Just type in Scottish Country Dancing and your area that you live in. I look forward to hearing from you

Gwenlee
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Dalriada Dancer 
  Posted: 23-Jun-2005, 07:17 AM
Quote Post

Servant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Ontario, Canada

female

The difference between SCD and Highland is what makes them both so unique and both so much fun!

SCD is group dancing. Some areas refer to SCD as "barn-dancing", country dancing, or Scottish dancing. SCD is done in sets of even numbers of men and women (but not all the time - a la Shepherd's Crook). SCD has formations and travelling, retires and advances, and is lovely to watch when the whole group performs. It's a wonderful social dance. If you have never seen it, the closest thing I can think of would be to watch a movie with a renaissance theme and when the royals have a ball, those kinds of dances would be the closest idea. These dances are done at ceilidhs and balls and parties.

Highland is more of a solo dancing. It uses some similar movements as SCD (pas de basques, sheddings, springpoints). It is made of four dances only - Highland Fling, Seann Truibhas, Sword Dance and a Strathspey or Reel (which is the only Highland Dance with more than one person). Originally danced and competed only by men, these dances are done in the kilt.

National Dances are the feminine dances that Highland Dancers perform/compete. Dancers (the ladies) wear the arasaid or aboyne, or they wear the white national dress. There are tonnes of these dances!

Scottish Lilt, Flora MacDonald's Fancy, Blue Bonnets over the Border, Highland Laddie, Wilt thou go to the Barracks-Johnnie?, Village Maid, Scotch Measure, Dusty Miller, First of August, Tribute to J.L. MacKenzie, etc, etc, etc.

Then, there are the "others" -
Argyle/Lochaber- Broadsword (a four person-four sword - sword dance)
Irish Jig, Sailor's Hornpipe, Perth Assembly, Come Ashore Jacky Tar

I cannot speak for SCD, but in Highland, we are "governed" by one of two boards. Either dancers who are registered to compete follow the Scottish Official Board of Highland Dance, or they follow the Scottish Official Highland Dance Association. That is a long, convoluted discussion about the two. Each of which I completely respect and understand their need. I follow the SOBHD and am certified under their branch called British Association Teachers of Dance. There are groups out there who follow neither, but those groups are mostly performance and need not register as they do not compete.

Whew! Any questions? wacko.gif

--------------------
Dulcius ex Asperis
PMEmail Poster                
gwenlee 
Posted: 27-Aug-2005, 05:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

We SCD'ers are govern by a board and if we choose we can join The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society. I've never heard anyone in my group refer to SCD as barn dancing (I know American Square dancing has roots in SCD). We call it social dancing. We do spend part of our time working on our footwork. If anyone is interested in a class go to your search engine and type in Scottish Country Dancing and the area you live in. Sometimes at Celtic festivals and Games there may be some dancing going on. For those in the Atlanta area we will be dancing at the Stone Mountain Game and will have an audience participation. I have only been doing SCD for 1 and 1/2 years and have a long ways to go but is is great exercise and we have great socials.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Nancy-Raven 
Posted: 12-Sep-2005, 07:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Quebec

female

I actually miss the chance to see dancers at the highland games of Montreal because I was working and can't take off for the day specially a sunday.With your explanation I think THE biggest difference is solo or group kind of dance.For now , I never get an answer from the teacher I try to contact on the web.I think for some $$ reason I will wait.I have a request to write to join the clan MacLean.If I success I will try to find a mentor , someone who can give me contact with a dance teacher and gaelic teacher or I will try next spring or summer when I have more free time.Thanks to both of you.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]