Haldur 
Posted: 10-Feb-2005, 11:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

From the Virginia Appalachians...Blue Ridge or Shenandoah, one of those regions, if not both!

Attached Image. (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Haldur 
Posted: 10-Feb-2005, 11:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

And you see why they call them the Blue Ridge mountains!

Haldur 
Posted: 10-Feb-2005, 11:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

And from the West Virginia Appalachians! Also part of the Cumberland region, I believe. wink.gif

Haldur 
Posted: 10-Feb-2005, 11:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Yet another fantastic view of the West Virginian Apps!

valpal59 
Posted: 12-Feb-2005, 08:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

Beautiful pictures. Thank-you. smile.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Haldur 
Posted: 14-Feb-2005, 02:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

You're very welcome! smile.gif More to come soon; also more information regarding my journeys through songcatching, including other book references and several other tidbits and goodies I find worth sharing!

In all honesty, I think everyone should be knowledgable and appreciative of their state's culture...and our nation's as well! We are very blessed in this country and some of us don't even know it.
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 19-Feb-2005, 07:33 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Haldur, I live in the Appalachian Mts., too! I know exactly where your coming from. I love the mountains and there's nothing any better than seeing, hearing and tasting what these mountains have to offer. I'm really anxious for spring to arrive so I can see the mountains come alive and display her attire. biggrin.gif I luv going up on a mountain top and looking out and all I can see is more mountains. Spectacular, nothing man made! biggrin.gif

Thanks for the pictures, makes me fall in love again with the Appalachians, The Smokies and The Blue Ridge! Now I really have spring fever! biggrin.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Haldur 
Posted: 19-Feb-2005, 06:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

It's good to hear you're from the Appalachians! I miss the springtimes too...I currently live in the central part of Kentucky, which is still very amazing, but is nothing like the mountains. sad.gif

More pictures will come, feel free to post some of you like! I've been meaning to go out sometime and take some pictures of them the next time I visit my mother, but I currently don't have a camera. One thing I've kind of strayed away from here lately is discussing the Scottish/English ballads of the area; its been a busy past few weeks in the life of Haldur, I can tell you that much! I'm still researching things though, mostly pertaining to the music itself. There is a very interesting take on "Barbara Allen" recorded by Emmylou Harris and still another that Joan Baez recorded some years ago! Very exciting stuff...I truly admire Joan Baez's approach to the song as it does the song some real justice!

I've also discovered some information that hits pretty close to home. My grandpa is currently in a nursing home in Eastern Kentucky and I had the chance to visit him just this past Tuesday. During my visit, the first in like a year, was very precious as my wife, grandma, and myself all sat around talking with him about the good ol' days! We brought along our camcorder and taped most of the discussion, which included some funny stories from his childhood in Eastern Kentucky to his service near the end of the European campaigns in World War II. At one point, I asked him if he had heard any folks playing music in the area and he said there were so many instances he could not recall every one. He did mention a time when a man and his little daughter were playing music together: the father played the fiddle and his daughter, guitar.

It was a very rewarding experience because I got to visit my grandpa, talk with him about the good ol' days, and hopefully liven his spirits in the process! smile.gif
3Ravens 
Posted: 21-Feb-2005, 10:03 AM
Quote Post

Herbmistress of Erin
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: south coastal Virginia

female

Haldur,
Add Shelia Kay Adams to ypur list of balladeers.....amazing woman! Raised in western North Carolina, learned most of her songs from her Granny"

--------------------
If age is a learning experience, I should be a genius by now...
PMEmail Poster               
Haldur 
Posted: 22-Feb-2005, 03:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Thank you very much for the reference there 3Ravens! smile.gif I'll add that to my list!

Haldur 
Posted: 28-Feb-2005, 10:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

I have found out from my father-in-law that he has an Appalachian dulcimer in his posession! smile.gif This is very exciting because I'd love to learn it one day. He said he purchased one down in Tennessee one year when they went to the Smokies...he's since retired it to a shelf in the basement, covered in a cloth.

It pains me so because I'd love to play it...he told me he'd let me jam out on it a bit the next time we come see them!

Not much in regard to other news, just been doing a little more research into traditional music altogether: a little bluegrass, country, Celtic, balladry mix if you will! smile.gif Life's been grand and well, so has the music!!!

maggiemahone1 
Posted: 28-Feb-2005, 11:22 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I have a dulcimer that I bought at Blowing Rock, NC a few years back. I wanted to learn to play, but got interested in other things. Maybe one day, when I get older than what I am now, I'll take it up and learn to play. wink.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Haldur 
Posted: 01-Mar-2005, 01:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

smile.gif You'll have to send me some recordings of your work! I've seen some Appalachian dulcimers, particularly the hourglass shaped variety, at our town's annual Pioneer Festival that's held in September. There are several artisans in the area that specialize in handcrafting them and they are beautiful!

I guess you can say I'm a fanatic about them! wink.gif
Haldur 
Posted: 11-Mar-2005, 12:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Some updates:

First off, today I purchased the movie that started it all, "Songcatcher"! It's finally a part of my DVD collection and quite a prize for what I'm perservering to do. smile.gif

Secondly, I probably won't be able to post much for a couple of weeks after March 16th because of financial issues. But never fear! I shall return...my DSL bill was much larger than I expected this time 'round. sad.gif But once again, I will post as much as I'm able from work!

And lastly, I feel closer to my songcatching duties for I have started researching several contact points throughout Kentucky including Renfro Valley, The Kentucky Artisans Center in Berea, and several local points of contact including music stores and the like. Its truly exciting to know that such contacts can be made essentially right outside my door!

So keep your ears open for anything that might tickle ye heart and feel free to post here all ye want!

Most gracious blessings and wishes! biggrin.gifj-->dj.gif
MidnightPeapod 
Posted: 17-Mar-2005, 06:22 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

Realm: USA

female

That which I have read on your thread, thus far has been really interesting to be.
I just finished reading a book ('Son of the Sword' by J. Ardian Lee) which is about a guy in 1999 who travels back in time to medieval Scotland. Anyway he ends up learning Gaelic (obviously) and notices that many parts of Southerners' speech is very close to Gaelic grammar. For example, in Gaelic the verb "to be" is conjugated "tha mi, tha thu, tha e, tha i" just like Southerners' say "I be, you be, he be, she be"; and just as in Southern dialect, verbs tend to have an "a' " attached "A'dol and a'tighinn" are the same as a southerner saying "a-going and a-coming". Just a little tidbit - all I have to offer you. ohmy.gif)

--------------------
Sonny, true love is the greatest thing in the world. Except for a nice MLT, a mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]