> Celtic Art
CelticRoz 
Posted: 06-Dec-2003, 02:20 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

As an artist, I have been particularly interested in the genre of Celtic art of all forms. The paintings, jewelry, knotwork, etc. There are many books that can be found through Amazon.com, but I found a few links that had a little of everything that I found interesting. One site even had a few prints to show from the Book of Kells, which is a very rare find as in most cases, as it is not permitted to photograph these beautiful pieces of artwork.

http://www.celtic-art.net

http://www.aon-celtic.com

http://www.stone-circles.org.uk

In my findings on the net, I came across this one site that mentioned that the proper pronounciation of Celtic was Celtic NOT Keltic. I have never heard that before. Is anyone here aware of the true pronounciation of the word? I always thought it pronounced with a C not a K.

PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 06-Dec-2003, 02:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

Webster's New World Dictionary

Celt (kelt; also selt) A person who speaks a Celtic language or a descendant of such a person: the Bretons, Irish, Welsh, and Highland Scots are Celts.
PMEmail Poster               
Keltic 
Posted: 06-Dec-2003, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

One site even had a few prints to show from the Book of Kells, which is a very rare find as in most cases, as it is not permitted to photograph these beautiful pieces of artwork.

Celticrose:

I hope that proving you to be wrong in this assumption makes you happy as an art lover!!

Book of Kells on CD

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 06-Dec-2003, 04:03 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

On Keltic! I was hoping you would come and help me out! After I posted the above, I did go back and see some Celtic CD roms you could buy with images of the Book of Kells. Actually, the CD roms are not that expensive, I thought. Would be worth getting, me thinks. I also want to get some books from Amazon.com, but they would be better on the CDs. Anyway, thank you for making me a very happy artist indeed! wink.gif smile.gif thumbs_up.gif

Hi A Shrule Egan! I saw that in my dictionary too and that is why I was suprised to see this guy on the net say it was not to be pronounced Keltic, but Seltic. So I thought I would ask you experts amongst us! Thanks! smile.gif
Catriona 
Posted: 06-Dec-2003, 05:32 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

CelticRose
The use of Seltic or Keltic has become a matter of fashion. When I was young and studying at Uni - Seltic was the preferred pronounciation... but, a little like Scots not liking to be called Scotch nowadays - it ebbs and flows with the decades! In my work circles it is certainly ALWAYS pronounced Keltic nowadays! Oh, except for the Glasgow football team, aka SELTIK and known as The Bhoys!

The Scotch/Scots argument has, in the main, been won! Only foodstuffs eg Scotch beef, Scotch Eggs etc are called SCOTCH.... Even the Americans who are proud of their heritage now refer to themselves as Scots/Irish as opposed to SCOTCH... biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 06-Dec-2003, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh Catriona! Thank you so much for answering my question. I have noticed here in the states that people will say Scotch and I always try to nicely correct them as I have been taught to say Scots. Now which is correct for an American with Scots ancestry to say? Scots or should they say Scots/Irish? I always get conflicting answers on that one too! Many thanks again! smile.gif
Catriona 
Posted: 06-Dec-2003, 06:22 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

I have an Aunt who lives near San Franciso - her and her husband emigrated when they were first married. They had three children who say they are Americans of Scots ancestry - there is no way they would say either Scotch Irish or Scots Irish - they have two Scots born parents with absolutely no Irish ancestry at all!

Lots of Americans have only Scots ancestry - they do not have ancestors who left Scotland with, say the Plantation... and who later emigrated to many countries, including the USA.... so I would suppose they do not use the word Irish in their description of themselves...

Just to muddy the waters a little more cool.gif

It's interesting, but I conducted a straw poll amongst colleagues and friends. I asked the question 'which country have most Scots emigrated to over the past 150 or so years?'... Most say 1 - Australia and New Zealand, 2- Canada and only third say the USA.... Soooo, although many Americans think that the USA was the primary emigration destination..... the opinion (obviously not a scientific study!) here is different. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 06-Dec-2003, 10:31 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Catriona I appreciate you answering all my dumb questions. I have much to learn and want to learn as much about the UK as much as I can. I not only come on here to meet new people and have fun, but to learn as well. So thank you for your patience towards me. Very interesting about the poll you took about the population of people of Scottish ancestry in the different countries. A lot of people I talk to of Scottish ancestry are from Australian, NZ, and Canada. But for some reason I thought Canada had the most Scottish emigrants. Not sure where I got that information from, but it was just in my mind.

And, if I am not hearing people calling themselves Scotch around here, I am hearing Scotch/Irish. So it is interesting to get the real scoop from a Scot, an historian at that! Must be fascinating be a historian! thumbs_up.gif

Gee! I should be talking to you about all this in your forum, but wasn't sure where to post. I have so many questions to ask you and yet don't know where to post them without them not fitting into the topic. Oh well! I'll talk to you wherever I can if you don't mind. smile.gif
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 07-Dec-2003, 04:01 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

CelticRose, I found this site to be most interesting...

www.electricscotland.com/history/america/scots_irish.htm.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 07-Dec-2003, 04:52 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (maggiemahone1 @ Dec 7 2003, 05:01 PM)
CelticRose, I found this site to be most interesting...

www.electricscotland.com/history/america/scots_irish.htm.

maggiemahone1

Maggie thank you! I printed the article out to keep with my genealogy records I am working on. The thing I found most personal to me is that my family came from the UK to PA, to the Carolinas and then finally settled in Georgia, just like the article said. Many thanks again! smile.gif
balisodare 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 03:12 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacRowan

male

The word "Celtic" came from the Greek word "Keltoi."
It was their word for a non-Greek person.

Therefore, if someone was from a tribe that the Greeks considered "Keltoi"...they were "Keltoic"..or Celtic.

The greeks have no soft vs hard "C." When they used the letter Kappa (K) it meant that they wanted a hard "c" sound (ie..."Kuh")

I'm not sure when it got changed...but as far as I know, the word should be pronounced "Keltic"

Cheers
note.gif

--------------------
It's amazing what you can do with a little motivation and a lot of whiskey.
-Name that Musician
PMEmail Poster               
Keltic 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 10:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

QUOTE (balisodare @ Feb 16 2004, 05:12 PM)
I'm not sure when it got changed...but as far as I know, the word should be pronounced "Keltic"

No argument here
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 17-Feb-2004, 03:39 PM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

This is the way I have ALWAYS read, been taught and heard how to pronounce CELT

If it is refering to a people it is pronounced Celtic with a Hard 'C' like Keltic
And if refering to a sports team it is Celtic with a soft 'c' as in Seltic

Seems we are mostly on the same page.... wink.gif

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 17-Feb-2004, 03:43 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

I only pronounce the football club with a c.. In German they are called "Kelten" so for me that's more like the right pronunciation.

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 13-Jun-2004, 08:17 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

Beautiful peices of art..

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]