Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Geneology Research, Need help researching your family?
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 09-Oct-2003, 06:58 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has the largest collection of family history there is in the US.

www.familysearch.org

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Annabelle 
Posted: 09-Oct-2003, 08:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Although there are those whose families got in bed with the English after Culloden some of our families did not and were sent to the states as either indentured servants, political prisoners or escaped after Culloden thru other countries ending up here in America, New Foundland, New Zealand, Africa, British Islands and Austrailia.
Since I am a member of the DAR ( for those of you not lucky enough to be here in the great country of America, it stands for Daughter's of American Revoluntionary) yep, my family kick those English butts out of our country and we stood on our own, Freedom, just like our homeland(Scotland) wanted.
So I do believe I am quite well educated in the matter of geneology here in the states AND in Scotland...my real home. I have my documentation all the way back to where my grandfather's came in on a boat..many of us do cause we all love our Scottish heritage.

No matter where you are or where you were born when you are a true Scot, Scotland will always be your home.
Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 10-Oct-2003, 01:51 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Annabelle @ Oct 10 2003, 03:19 AM)
Although there are those whose families got in bed with the English after Culloden some of our families did not and were sent to the states as either indentured servants, political prisoners or escaped after Culloden thru other countries ending up here in America, New Foundland, New Zealand, Africa, British Islands and Austrailia.
Since I am a member of the DAR ( for those of you not lucky enough to be here in the great country of America, it stands for Daughter's of American Revoluntionary) yep, my family kick those English butts out of our country and we stood on our own, Freedom, just like our homeland(Scotland) wanted.
So I do believe I am quite well educated in the matter of geneology here in the states AND in Scotland...my real home. I have my documentation all the way back to where my grandfather's came in on a boat..many of us do cause we all love our Scottish heritage.

No matter where you are or where you were born when you are a true Scot, Scotland will always be your home.
Annabelle

Excuse me - but I take great offence at the comments you make about the English...... I am from the UK - I have lived in England.... There is absolutely no need, in this day and age, to still perpetrate such racism. If you substituted the word black or Native American for the word English, you would not write that kind of comment.

As for your comments about families 'getting into bed with the English'.... my family lost lands, lives and possessions because of being on the Jacobite side at Culloden. Please don't make sweeping, rash statements... Not every American/Canadian etc was banished or 'cleared'.... the majority were economic migrants... And still continue to be so.

You may have dual British citizenship if you can prove a British (not necessarily Scottish) grandparent - but no further than that - as you have a grandfather, then maybe you do have dual nationality.

However, unless you were born in Scotland, or abroad, of Scottish parents and then return to THEIR homeland, you cannot call yourself a Scot. You may be an American of Scottish ancestry or a Canadian of Scots ancestry - well, you get the picture.

PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 10-Oct-2003, 04:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Annabelle & others involved

Catriona is correct. As long as you were born by American citizens (or what ever other country (excluding Scotland) you may have been born in) you are American (or replace with your country), not Scot you may feel Scot in your heart but you are in fact American of Scottish ancestry and how much of that ancestry is Scot depends on your bloodline. I know for myself out of 16 G-G-Grandparents only one was from Scotland that I know of, that being my G-G-Grandfather Alexander. this does not make me a Scot. The remainder of my blood line comes from all over Europe mostly the UK from what little I have learned but surely not a pure Scottish bloodline. I would stand to bet that you are not a pure Scottish decendant either as most Americans have mixed bloodlines. Especially since you state you are a member of DAR your ancestors have obviously been here at least 227 years and that's a long time abroad to keep a pure Scottish bloodline in tact while living in a different country.

Now as for some of your comments you need to tone things down some. The English in my view were not the enemy in the revolution but instead the leaders that ordered the soldiers under them. Just as in WW2 I would not hold the Germans responsible for their leaders actions or the Japanese for their leaders actions, but I would hold Hitler and the Nazi Party and the Japanese emperor and military for it's actions.

I knew yesterday when I read your post it would stir up trouble as I find this morning it has, I had hoped it would not, but unfortunately I am wrong. Yesterday I posted a comment on the religious debates going on and I thought you would all take the gentle hint, but I see you have just decided to take it to a different topic. This needs to stop. I am making reference to all the threads that are getting heated for a full report to Paul upon his return. All the bickering and squabbling that has started needs to stop so I can report to him that the issues have all been solved. It sounds like just because you start or get involved in an argument in one area it just gets carried to another as you would carry baggage. Drop the baggage.

Ok enough you should be getting my point now and I will assume all this has been settled there will be no rude replies to any more posts this should be a fun topic not a topic to open old wounds and let them fester.
PMEmail Poster               
3Ravens 
Posted: 10-Oct-2003, 09:19 AM
Quote Post

Herbmistress of Erin
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: south coastal Virginia

female

Hear,hear! Ditto for me! Enough with the attitudes, can't we just be nice to each other? Some are being a little inconsiderate with what they post, and others are being a little too quick to take offense. We all need to realize that this is an INTERNATIONAL forum, and there are many different points of view here. We don't have to agree with each other, but we do need to tolerate each other.

--------------------
If age is a learning experience, I should be a genius by now...
PMEmail Poster               
Aventar 
Posted: 10-Oct-2003, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAlder

female

To - maggiemahone1

Thanks for the offer. We seem to up to our nickers in West Virginia. My father's family is from Pochahontas County. We were just down there in July for a family reunion - the first one since 1901. For someone from "Flat land" it is wonderful. Even the trip up the mountain on a logging road to the family cemetery was....interesting....at least we didn't die in a fiery ball of flames like I thought we would. biggrin.gif

Again, thanks for help on the Kintyhtt (aka Kinty in modern terms)

Aventar

--------------------
Magic rules our lives everyday, whether we choose to see it or not!
PMEmail Poster                
3Ravens 
Posted: 10-Oct-2003, 12:02 PM
Quote Post

Herbmistress of Erin
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: south coastal Virginia

female

Those meet yourself coming and going snaketracks can be whiteknucklers if your not used to them!
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 10-Oct-2003, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Thanks 3Ravens for reminding me I come on here to enjoy myself...sorry I got pulled into something that doesn't matter anyway...please forgive me!
Annabelle
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 10-Oct-2003, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

Speaking from experience dealing with Native American Ancestry. The same problems holds the same here too. We have different Tribes that will not recognize another Tribe unless they are from the Rez. (Reservation) even though the blood quantum requirements are sometimes lower on the Rez. then they are on the nonreservation Tribes.

Some say you have to be Full Bloods. Even though I know some Natives who does not have it in their heart and some non-natives who have it in their hearts. You are going to find that everywhere.

My suggestion is to work together and find that common thread. thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
Welsh Guy 
Posted: 10-Oct-2003, 04:58 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Paris, France

QUOTE (Annabelle @ Oct 10 2003, 05:19 AM)
"Although there are those whose families got in bed with the English" ............

"for those of you not lucky enough to be here in the great country of America,".............

Though there were rebellions against English rule, and though the House of Lancaster went to war with the House of York, and though Cromwell lead a rebellion against a King who married a Catholic Queen, and though the House of Tudor was effectively a Welsh takeover of the English throne. We, none of us got into bed together without taking precautions.

Face it Annabelle, you're an An American, you've got a "great country" stop making judgements about ours.

Thank You

--------------------
Quand tout renaît à l'espérance
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 10-Oct-2003, 06:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Hey Welsh Guy,
Funny fella you are! I wasn't trying to slam dunk any country honest...just got a little fired up by a few...
AND I was speaking of past History!!! Long past history..
So thanks for the helpful idea's... sorry If I offended you. I really didn't mean anything hurtful!
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 11-Oct-2003, 03:26 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

QUOTE (Aventar @ Oct 10 2003, 06:17 PM)
To - maggiemahone1

Thanks for the offer.  We seem to up to our nickers in West Virginia.  My father's family is from Pochahontas County.  We were just down there in July for a family reunion - the first one since 1901.  For someone from "Flat land" it is wonderful.  Even the trip up the mountain on a logging road to the family cemetery was....interesting....at least we didn't die in a fiery ball of flames like I thought we would. biggrin.gif

Again, thanks for help on the Kintyhtt (aka Kinty in modern terms)

Aventar

I'm glad you survived the trip to the cemetery. biggrin.gif It seems as though the old cemeteries that I have visited have always been on top of a mountain and to get to them you walk a cow path.
My husband is an amateur radio operator and talks to several people that live in Pocahontas. I'll have him to check with his buddies up there. Maybe we can come up with something for you.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Kimoeagle 
Posted: 11-Oct-2003, 04:59 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacElder

male

I found this poem hanging in the CelticRadio store, and I thought it appropriate:
Light One Candle

Light one candle for the strength that we need
To never become our own foe
And light one candle for those who are suffering
Pain we learned so long ago
Light one candle for all we believe in
That anger not tear us apart
And light one candle to find us together
With peace as the song in our hearts

And with that, I add that I,too am involved in genealogy. THe Hewitts, from Glasgow, Scotland, and the Martins, Pattersons, and the Greers, who come from the length and breadth of Ireland, from County Down, to Antrim, to Cork, to Limerick. Our families are on Family Tree, and I've listed just under 3000 names which are in the FTM files.
We live north of Ft. Wayne, which is also well-known for genealogical record-keeping, but I've yet to dig. ---- In doing research on the Hewitts recently, I found a goodly number of them (no relative) who settled - in Ontario, for the most part. As we know, many emigrated around 1840-1860 in order to survive the famines and downturns in industry.
Organizing the genealogy form will, indeed, be the key. Good luck! If I can help, please contact me. cool.gif

James Hewitt Harris aka Kimoeagle

--------------------
Seamus
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 13-Oct-2003, 08:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Geneology research is Maddening!!!! wacko.gif blink.gif bangin.gif
It's like finding one piece of the puzzle and now you have to start over and find the next piece...but then somehow you become addicted to it.
Annabelle
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 13-Oct-2003, 08:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

And sometimes you think you;ve found the right peice just to find out the next peice is right but doesn't match up with older peices. It is a huge huge jigsaw puzzle of sorts. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]