Shamalama 
Posted: 14-Aug-2004, 05:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Conyers, GA

male

OK, this is really a sad story, and I do sympathize with the family. But a lawsuit?

---

Mother sues over son's death on school bus

By Vic Ryckaert
[email protected]
August 13, 2004

The mother of a Perry Meridian High School freshman killed last fall while he was riding on a school bus filed a lawsuit today seeking $300,000 in damages.

Irma Garcia's son, Raul Gonzalez IV, died about 7:15 a.m. on Nov. 17 after he stuck his head out of a bus window and struck a tree last fall. The bus driver was steering to avoid an injured raccoon on Stop 11 Road, just west of Bluff Road.

"Parents have a right to expect the bus driver to operate the bus safely," Garcia's lawyer Robert York said. "Obviously that didn't happen in this case."

Raul, 16, was starting his second week at the school after his family had relocated from Texas. He had an IQ described as low average or borderline, according to the suit filed in Marion Superior Court. He was hyperactive, suffered from attention deficit disorder and had problems comprehending language, according to the lawsuit.

The bus was traveling along the tree-lined Stop 11 when it approached the injured raccoon in the road. Students rushed to the windows to look at the animal. Raul lowered his window and stuck his head out to see what was happening.

Traveling about 30 mph, bus driver Terri Gregory swerved to avoid the raccoon. The bus tilted into a tree, trapping Raul's head. He died almost instantly, according to the lawsuit.

The school district is at fault, the lawsuit claims, for allowing the windows wide enough for Raul to stick his head out and for failing to warn Raul of the dangers.

The city and state are at fault for failing to properly design and maintain the road, the suit claims.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/3/169955-...5-2453-103.html

--------------------

Clan Mac Cullaich:
- Brewed in Scotland
- Bottled in Ulster
- Uncorked in America

Common Folk Using Common Sense
PMEmail Poster               
ErikDeckers 
Posted: 20-Aug-2004, 11:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacOak

Realm: Orlando, FL

male

For about two years, I wrote about almost nothing but stupid lawsuits. My take on this would have been:

1) If ANYONE is responsible for the windows, it's the bus manufacturer, not the school district.

2) You could also blame Garcia's mom for not teaching her son not to stick his out windows of moving cars.

3) PETA should also get involved on the side of the school board, because the bus driver was actually trying to further harm the animal.

Thanks for posting these stories.

You should also check out Bonehead of the Day Awards and True Stella Lawsuit websites for further stories.

Erik Deckers

--------------------
[color=blue][b]Erik Deckers
Visit my weekly humor blog
Laughing Stalk[COLOR=blue]
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.
gtrplr 
Posted: 20-Aug-2004, 05:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Nashville, TN

male

Justice says guns-drawn raid didn't violate civil rights laws

Associated Press

CHARLESTON, S.C. - A guns-drawn raid at a Goose Creek high school last year did not violate civil rights laws and the case is closed, the U.S. Justice Department says.

"The evidence does not establish a prosecutable violation" of federal civil rights laws, a Justice Department official said in a letter to Goose Creek Police Chief Harvey Becker. The letter says "accordingly, we have closed our investigation."

The Justice Department decision "is a great relief" meaning there will be no criminal charges, Andy Savage, a lawyer for officers in the sweep, said.

Using a drug dog, police found no drugs or weapons in the Nov. 5 raid that frightened children, provoked marches and lawsuits and brought national media attention and the resignation of Stratford High School's longtime principal.

Fifteen officers entered Stratford's main hallway and ordered 130 students to the floor. They used plastic ties to handcuff 18 students and school officials opened and searched 17 book bags police dogs reacted to.

South Carolina Attorney General Henry McMaster, the state's chief prosecutor, criticized the tactics used as ill-suited for a school and created a "dangerous tinderbox situation."

"Such raid tactics are well suited for a crack house but not a school house," McMaster said in July as he decided not to pursue charges. Still, school officials had "probable cause" to conduct a search for drugs, he said.

"There was never any intent to do anything criminal," Lionel Lofton, another lawyer for the officers, said. "Our clients are glad to be getting back to what they do best: protect the people of Goose Creek."

Civil suits remain that allege students' constitutional rights were violated.

Settlement negotiations concerning those lawsuits recently broke down.

--------------------
Randal Smith alias Smitty the Kid
Wielder of the Six-String Claymore!

"We have enough Youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"
"When the going gets tough, the smart go fishing!"

PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 21-Aug-2004, 07:18 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

Welcome to the Department of Homeland Security. sad.gif
Thanks for sharing that, gtrplr. thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Shamalama 
Posted: 26-Aug-2004, 09:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Student Charged With Clogging Toilet
Wed Aug 25, 6:09 PM ET

PORT OF SWEET GRASS, Mont. - Jesse Huffman insists he didn't do it on purpose, but the toilet he left plugged after "nature called" at this border crossing in north-central Montana has him facing criminal charges.

Toole County authorities charged the 19-year-old college student from Great Falls with criminal mischief after a border agent accused him of intentionally clogging the toilet.

Huffman said the clogged piping was completely unintentional, the result of an urgent, but natural bodily function.

"I've never been arrested before or anything like that, and I get arrested for taking a dump," said Huffman, a student at Montana State University in Bozeman.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/...re_calls_charge

[editor's note: Obviously the Toole County authorities have never eaten at a Taco Bell]

PMEmail Poster               
Shamalama 
Posted: 12-Nov-2004, 12:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Woman struck by train sues railroad

By Matthew Junker
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, November 5, 2004

A Jeannette woman who was slightly injured after being struck by a train while walking along railroad tracks sued Norfolk Southern Corp. Thursday for failing to warn pedestrians that trains travel on tracks.

Patricia M. Frankhouser, of 910 Scott Ave., is seeking an unspecified amount in excess of $30,000 from the Norfolk, Va., rail transport company for the Jan. 6 incident that left her with a broken finger, cuts on her hand and pain, according to the suit.

Greensburg attorney Harry F. Smail Jr., who represents Frankhouser, didn't return a call seeking comment.

The filing does not state why Frankhouser failed to hear the oncoming train and get out of the way.

It also does not state if she was crossing the rail bed or walking in between, or along, the tracks.
PMEmail Poster               
dragonboy3611 
Posted: 14-Nov-2004, 01:18 PM
Quote Post

A Friend to who needs one.
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA, New York

male

QUOTE (Keltic @ 29-Jun-2004, 10:14 PM)
What if there was also a law that stated that it was illegal to feed the animals? Now that would be a dilemma!

It would be a dilema! Some people would think it smart, and of course some would hate it!

Does that mean you would get fined if you left a peice of bread outside, and a bird at it!?

Hmmm....
~Adam~ lol.gif

--------------------
"Men at some time are masters of their fate"
Jul Caesar, Act i, Sc.2

"When sorrow comes, they come not single spies, but in battalions"
Hamlet, Act iv, Sc.5

"All that lives must die, passing through nature to eternity"
Hamlet, Act i, Sc.2
PMEmail Poster               
erickbloodax 
Posted: 05-Dec-2004, 02:59 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Arizona

male

A Jeannette woman who was slightly injured after being struck by a train while walking along railroad tracks sued Norfolk Southern Corp. Thursday for failing to warn pedestrians that trains travel on tracks.

At least that should have settled the argument as to weather they were dear tracks or moose tracks. poster_stupid.gif

--------------------
If you don't come back muddy and bloody, you didn't have a good time.
PMEmail Poster               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 05-Dec-2004, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rėgh
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

QUOTE (Shamalama @ 12-Nov-2004, 01:08 PM)
Woman struck by train sues railroad

.......Patricia M. Frankhouser, of 910 Scott Ave., is seeking an unspecified amount in excess of $30,000 from the Norfolk, Va., rail transport company for the Jan. 6 incident that left her with a broken finger, cuts on her hand and pain, according to the suit.

Greensburg attorney Harry F. Smail Jr., who represents Frankhouser, didn't return a call seeking comment. .....

I know Brother Shamalama posted this last month but I must not have been paying attention. sleep1.gif

So which is worse the Woman or her lawyer?

In the Gilbert and Sullivan operata "The Mikado" the Royal Executioner has a song called "I've Got A Little List" and I think this verse may be applicable to this story:

And that Nisi Prius nuisance, who just now is rather rife,
The Judicial humorist--I've got him on the list!
All funny fellows, comic men, and clowns of private life--
They'd none of 'em be missed--they'd none of 'em be missed.
And apologetic statesmen of a compromising kind,
Such as--What d'ye call him--Thing'em-bob, and
likewise--Never-mind,
And 'St--'st--'st--and What's-his-name, and also You-know-who--
The task of filling up the blanks I'd rather leave to you.
But it really doesn't matter whom you put upon the list,
For they'd none of 'em be missed--they'd none of 'em be
missed!

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
Shamalama 
Posted: 17-Dec-2004, 03:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

San Antonio strippers to wear permits

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Friday, December 17, 2004

SAN ANTONIO -- The City Council on Friday approved an ordinance requiring strippers to wear their permits while they are on stage.

City Councilman Chip Haass pushed the measure, adopted unanimously by the 11-member council, as a way to make it easier for police to identify dancers.

But Jim Deegear, a lawyer for several strip clubs in the city, said it would put strippers in danger by making it easier for an obsessed customer to find out a dancer's real name and where she lives.

He said the measure is part of an effort to drive strip clubs out of business, and he said he will fight it in court.

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

Š Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]