Quote Post

Musican/Ruler of the Dells/Warrior
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Caer Portshire, Mist Hollow

female

Irish Fest 2006 kicks off this Thursday night. w00t1.gif

Okay so I've been a little over anxious about it. Hehe....if anyone is going to be headed to the big party on the lake let me know so I can try to spot you in the masses.

So many bands to see this weekend and not enough time to see them all! I plan on catching Grada, The Elders, Gaelic Storm (obviously), The Irish Rovers, The Fuchsia Band, Enter the Haggis, Mary Jane Lamond, Beolach, and last (but far from least) Rose Laughlin. Of course will probably get to see quite a few others...but that's on my must see list.

So warm up the Guinness Stew cuz I'm ready for a craic!

(as always more info at www.irishfest.com)

--------------------
Senara-ism : Life is like a theatrical production only you get to be actor, director, and audience all at once. So break a leg, sit back and enjoy the show!

"When the waves are high and the light is dying, raise a glass and think of me..." -Gaelic Storm

Cha chòir dòrn a thoirt an aghaidh pòig.
A kiss ought not to be met with a fist.

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

"I am a crazy, rabid squirrel! I want my cookies!" Hammy-Over the Hedge
PMEmail Poster               
dundee 
Posted: 15-Aug-2006, 08:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

male

grrrrrrrrr looks like i get to miss it again this year.
my daughter is moving into her new place this week and i have
been drafted everynight this week and the weekend.

i might get thursday off for good behavior and slip away to see gaelic storm
at hoyt(?) park...

*walks off grumbling* disgust.gif

have fun ya'll

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 20-Aug-2006, 09:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Just got back after a long six hour drive with the wife and kid from Irishfest. If only the ride back were as much fun as the fest was things would be great. This year festival was great as always. Most of the bands I have already seen. I did, unfortunately, miss the Irish Rovers because the wife dragged me off to see Gaelic Storm (again-but they were worth it). The Elders, Quagmyre, Stone Ring,the Bridies, Trinity and Glencastle Irish dancers were on my list this year and all were very good. I was actually more impressed by Glencastle's dancers this year than Trinity.
Also got to meet Malachy McCourt and got one of his books "A Monk Swimming" signed by him. Charming gentleman and full of great stories. Bought a lot more stuff than I needed-Na, I needed it, really. The amount of goodies is unbelievable.
Biggest surprise for me this year and I'll call this my WOW! award. (last year was the Bridies) was believe or not "Gaelic Storm!" I was expecting it to be the Elders but nope GS wins my WOW vote this year. The reason. Better and tighter musicianship. I've seen GS about 6-7 times and they have always been good, but this year they seem to be much better as a group. The notes were quicker, better accented, faster, and had more of an edge to them. Even Ellery (the fiddler) was having fun-running all over the stage as if she were a member of the bridies herself. This was the GS I was always hoping for- a great band having fun playing great songs. Can't wait for the brodhran player to rejoin and to see what the next album willl be.
This is a great fest that I would encourage anyone to visit-it is the largest Irishfest in the world. Although the road construction around Milwaukee this year could be considered the biggest headache in the world I wouldn't have missed it for anything. Hopefully next year they schedule all the bands that I want to see. There were only four bands this year that were really on my list to see but it was still alot of fun. Oh yes, for God's sake, try the mead.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
Senara 
Posted: 21-Aug-2006, 09:18 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

Sorry to have missed you Roberto...probably passed by you once or twice walking the grounds. Glad you had fun!

Friday: Free admission from 4-5...what a bargain. Got to the grounds and walked right in. Stopped for a dinner of mashed potatos and Guinness Stew at O'Donoghue's before settling in to watch Grada and then the Elders. Grada was amazing and the Elders was absoutely fabulous....after that it was a quick hop over to the standing room only Miller Oasis stage for the Gaelic Storm show. A few new songs of the new Wellies Album were played as well as the usual Pina Colada in a Pint Glass, Swimmin in the Sea, and Johnny Tarr. An absolutely fabulous performance as Roberto already mentioned. So after screaming a few hours it was back to the bus for the ride home.

Saturday: Was a lazy kinda just absorb things kind of day. Stopped and listened to Rose Laughlin and she was gracious enough to sign my CD. She's a marvelous performer and I would highly recommend everyone give her a listen at least once.
The rest of the evening was spent wandering around and checking out the vendors, watching the currach races, the tug pulls, the canines, and planning the spending spree for Sunday. Towards the end of the night we wandered over to the Celtic Roots Stage and took in the last few songs of Beolach and the first half of the Nova Scotia Kitchen Party. A few technical glitches and me feeling a bit tired had us leaving a bit early Saturday night.

Sunday: Spent most of the early afternoon in the Cultural Village, did some browsing of the Literary Corner and picked up a few books. The one that I started reading yesterday is called "Finding My Irish" by Sharon Shea Bossard and she tells of her geneological seach being of a family of Irish hertiage that just never talked about life in Ireland when she was a child. Very good book... Went from there to the Walton's Music tent and took in a Bohdran lesson. I'm thinking next year to get one and just tinker with it and see how proficient I can become. Anyway...stopped over at the Villiage Pub tent and sat down with a drink and watched The Fuchia Band. These guys from Cork throw a hell of a craic and everyone has a great time. For their encore they pulled a few of the other artists (like Patrick Murphy of Gaelic Storm and some of the members of Frogwater) and did a mini-jam session. From there it was time to grab dinner and find our spots for the Scattering...but first was a great group from Quebec called Le Vent Du Nord. Granted most of their stuff was in French but it was a good beat and you could dance a hell of a jig. Was my first opportunity to also see a Hurdy Gurdy being played...very unique instrument.

The Scattering: another wonderful performance to close the festival. Tommy Makem, Liam Spain, Buddy MacDonald, Tom Sweeney, Finbar MacCarthy, The Irish Rovers, Gaelic Storm, The Fuchia Band, Grada, Mary Jane Lamond, the dancers, and anyone that could possibly have been squeezed on stage and wanted to take part was there. A roving good time and another spectacular end to the weekend. I only wished I had thought to take today off of work to sleep it all off. Granted there's so much more that happened this weekend...but this is only a summary. Want to know more you're just gonna have to come experience it next year. Mark your calendars now. August 16-19th, 2007 for next year's Irish Fest.

note.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 21-Aug-2006, 09:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Do you have any idea were they had the Hurling match. I was hopong to see it but they had the tug of war going on in the sporting area whne the game was scheduled. I forgot to mention that I attended Sister Bernie's Bingo Bash for the second time. Laughed me arse off again though I didn't win. Also got in on the "Who's Your Paddy" tent. Wife won a free CD (not irish music-it would have been nice) but it did get us two free beers each. Helped one of the vendors since all his help disappeared for the weekend and got a free sporran belt for my efforts which was really nice of him. And since it was the same vendor who supplies the National Italian Tartan I thought that I would ORDER MY NEW KILT!!!!!

Yes, its on its way. Been saving up for 5 years for it and everytime I got the money something would happen and I would have to start over. But its been ordered and it's too late now. Eight to ten weeks and it will be all mine. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 21-Aug-2006, 09:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

So, who are you hoping they will get next year? Or I should say what would you dream lineup be?
PMEmail Poster               
Senara 
Posted: 22-Aug-2006, 07:39 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

QUOTE (Roberto Phoenix @ 21-Aug-2006, 10:38 PM)
So, who are you hoping they will get next year? Or I should say what would you dream lineup be?

I think the Hurling Demo was after the tug pulls saturday night...had a little demo on sunday afternoon as well I believe. I don't have my program with me at work today.

My dream lineup.....man that's a tough one...I've seen soooooooooo many amazing performances over the years, but I'll give it a go.

in no particular order....
Gaelic Storm
Danu
The Elders
The Fuchsia Band
Tommy Makem
Cherish the Ladies
Paddy O'Rilley
Grada
The Irish Rovers
Daryl Simpson (classical tenor v.v. good but hard to find)
Off Kilter
Mary Jane Lamond
Beolach
The Cottars
Bounding Main

those that I have yet to see but think should be there...
Karen Mal
Barleyjuice
Orla Fallon
Lisa Kelly

for starters anyway..... who would you add?

PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 23-Aug-2006, 08:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Ceili Rain, Battlefield Band, Gael Force, Dropkick Murphey's, Flogging Molly, Dust Rhinos, Leperkaunz, Barleyjuice, Irish Rovers (cuz I missed them this time), and of course Enya (like that is going to happen), Clanned, or Marie Brennen and Tartanic.
I would like to see Afrocelt come back along with Black 47, Clumsy Lovers, and just for fun Slade. Blackmore's Night would be cool even though they are not really celtic. And hey, why not a Bay City Rollers Concert?
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 14-Dec-2006, 06:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

From the Irishfest website:

WHO'S COMING IN 2007?

Here's who we have so far:
Cherish the Ladies, Scythian, Liz Carroll & John Doyle, Ladies of Longford, The Fuchsia Band, The Celtic Tenors, The David Munnelly Band, Cathie Ryan, Aoife Clancy, Seanchai & the Unity Squad, Blarney and Gaelic Storm.
PMEmail Poster               
Senara 
Posted: 10-Feb-2007, 10:05 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

thanks for catching the first list Roberto! I've been slacking in my postings lately.

Alright...here's the Jan. 29th update for Irish Fest's line-up
Beoga
Blarney
The Celtic Tenors
Cherish the Ladies
Clancy, Aoife
Carroll, Liz
Doyle, John
David Munnelly Band
The Elders
Enter the Haggis
The Fuchsia Band
Gaelic Storm
Ladies of Longford
Liadan
Leahy
Tommy Makem
Makem & Spain Brothers
Cathie Ryan
Scythian
Seanchai & the Unity Squad

damn so many good acts already....gonna be hard to catch them all this year! Hopefully the Elders will draw a bit bigger crowd this year...have to spread the word to get them a good sized crowd this time around.

August 16-19th....www.irishfest.com check it out!

Roberto- get that kilt yet???
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 26-Feb-2007, 09:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

No, not yet. Still owe $300 on it and everytime I get the money together something else comes up. I will have it before spring even if I have to start selling my toy collection.
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 23-Jun-2007, 08:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

It seems the entertainemnt schedule is filled. Nothing yet on authors or guest speakers at the hedge school or cultural village. Check the site to see if any of your favorite bands are playing. No must see bands me but that means I get to spend more time doing the cultural stuff.

www.irishfest.com
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 29-Jul-2007, 09:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

The authors and guest speakers section is filled up in the Cultural section. Must see for me is Edward Rutherford. I'll post any updates
PMEmail Poster               
Senara 
Posted: 10-Aug-2007, 09:40 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

It's a week to IRISHFEST!!!!!!!!!! www.irishfest.com

Sadly, Tommy Makem will not be joining us this year as he as decided to join the heavenly choirs instead on August 1, 2007. This year's scattering will not be the same without him I'm afraid. Going to be several tears shed amongst all the merriment.

Will have to raise a pint or two for his memory...

PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 10-Aug-2007, 10:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I'm hoping they do something special for himother than the "Remembering" part of the show. And I hope that whatever thety do I don't miss it. Can you imagine all the bagpipers gathered there playing Amazing Grace at the same time?
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]