Gordon 
Posted: 17-Sep-2004, 08:28 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Texas

male

Well, school went well today. Showed up as intended in my kilt and decided to do most of the regalia with it save my Prince Charlie jacket of course. Classmates were somewhat surprised that I went through with it. Most of the males thought it would be uncomfortable but I assured them differently. As for the females of the class, lets just say there was alot of whistling and the 'usual' questions. laugh.gif

Even ended up with being asked to do some poses for a professional photographer that works in the school as an entrance counselor. He is trying to build his portrait portfolio and asked if I'd mind being a subject at some point next week after class. Offering a few 8 x 10 glossies for the trouble so I don't mind at all (not that I'd mind in the first place).

It is always a joy to show off my kilt and my pride in who I am and where I come from. thumbs_up.gif

Gordon

--------------------
Lay you down in green meadows amongst the heather for it is there the music calls to your soul and beckons you home.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 17-Sep-2004, 11:17 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Ok! I am bad! I am in here peeking too! Shame on me, eh? Well couldn't resist!

wow! Gordon! You got that great response? good on you! anxious to hear what comes of it all!

P.S. I will be peeking in here frequently! laugh.gif laugh.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 02:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

Well done Gordon, you look fantastic in your kilt, glad the response was positive.
I think more men should promote celtic clothing in that way.

Avonlea22 I've seen Utilikilts, I did buy a Victory kilt once from USA Kilts, they are similar but I didn't like it. The material doesn't have the softness and warmth of tartan wool and just didn't resemble a kilt enough.

In our conservative area I would have difficulty with a plain kilt, tartan is more easily recognised as a male garment. (Nowithstanding the fact that Irish kilts are traditionally plain).

But if you like it, wear it, they are very tough and good for working, hiking and general rough stuff from wht I've heard.

Xmarks is a great forum for men in kilts (not skirts), and yes CelticRose, the lassies are welcome to go there, it's not a men only club. wink.gif

--------------------
CelticRoz 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 02:31 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

LOL! You caught me Tassie! I love knowing how men think. I have always enjoyed the company of men more than women, so I just could not resist being in here. rolleyes.gif
aapiper 
  Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 07:27 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Edinboro, PA

male

i play in a pipe band and the only time I wear a kilt is when we are performing. Would like to get one to wear more often that is lighter. Our band kilts are 9 yards of wool, they can get a little heavy and warm during the summer. They do make the women notice you. They always want to what is under the kilt, I tell them "Me wee shoes"
PMEmail Poster               
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 07:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 18-Sep-2004, 06:31 PM)
LOL! You caught me Tassie! I love knowing how men think. I have always enjoyed the company of men more than women, so I just could not resist being in here. rolleyes.gif

You are to be congratulated Celticrose, I've alway wondered what women think, but for the life of me I cannot work it out biggrin.gif

aapiper, yes, the first time I picked up one of the band kilts I couldn't believe how heavy it was.

An 8 yard 13 oz or even a 4 yard casual is great for summer, I'm cooler in my Bear 4 yard casual in summer than anyone would be even in shorts.
Spradley 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Rocky Mtn Highlander and Renaissance Scot
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Colorado

male

Thank Brian, I'll check out X marks the Scot. BTW that patch cord worked great for putting the laptop through the stereo. Thanks! laugh.gif

Graham, that's what my concern is about the Utilikilts. My wool one is so comfortable and I don't want to give that up. cool.gif

Sláinte beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Sláinte

Brad

Deus Juvat "God Assists"

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Robert A. Heinlein

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 12:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Ha ha I peeped again!

It's easier to lose weight and stay in your kilt than it is to buy another one cause you gained a few pounds!

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 02:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

QUOTE (sprdleyb @ 18-Sep-2004, 10:44 AM)
[SIZE=5]Thank Brian, I'll check out X marks the Scot. BTW that patch cord worked great for putting the laptop through the stereo. Thanks! laugh.gif
]

You are welcome, for both. Glad to hear the cord worked out well. Pretty fsat shipping, eh?

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 02:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

Is anyone here familiar with Stillwater Kilts? They have an "Economy" kilt that's only $45.95! Sounds like it could be a good beginners kilt. Check them out at Stillwater Kilts
single speed 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 03:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: San Antonio, Tx

male

Great thread, Tassiecelt. I am intrigued, however, here's the rub. I am of Irish decent, so what Tartan shoiuld I wear? Should I wear a tartan? Is there a tartan etiquitte that I should be aware of? How do you choose a tartan?

--------------------
If you were accused of being a Christian, would your enemies have enough evidence to convict you?
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him keep pace with the music he hears, however measured or far away.
-Henry David Thoreau

Pray as if everything depended on God, and work as if everything depended upon man.
- Cardinal Francis J. Spellman
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 03:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

I'd be interested in seeing the response to that question, for I am of Irish descent, as well.

I've heard that you can choose the general Ireland tartan, or choose a county tartan. To be honest, I think when I'm ready to buy a kilt, I'll just choose one by personal taste in color, not heritage. Is that wrong?
Annabelle 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 03:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

O My yes! Wrong wrong wrong!

Do be a love and look more into the Irish Tartan's. They have alot by family names too. So don't get in a big hurry. Investigate it first! You are spending so much money don't get in a hurry to make a mistake.
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 04:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

If I remember reading something properly, the Scots had the tartans and the Irish didn't have tartans associated with them. That's why it's very difficult to find Irish tartans. The Scots and Irish may have the same name but the tartan is for the Scots. More recently, the Irish have had county tartans developed.

That's how I remember the article.
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 04:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Avonlea do some research into it before you spend money is what I was trying to say. If you buy something just for county or color you may find something else along the way you would prefer...so give yourself some time to look!

If you get into a hurry you will waste your money. That's all! I have no education as to the "crazy Irish" so you'll have to learn for yourself or from other's who are of Irish decent.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]